• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dude breaks down USF offense on twitter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

39 minutes ago, 7overlord said:

I wonder how much of that hitch is because of his uncertainty 

I think you hit the nail on the head here. There’s a sense of panic in his game that shows in every aspect. Footwork (or lack thereof) in the pocket, willingness to bounce out of the pocket immediately, lack of touch on throws, and worst of all, his inability to get beyond the first read. 

If you look back on a few of his picks from 2018, you’ll see that he absolutely locks on his #1 read and struggles to identify the defense post snap. 

Ex. 1 - week 1, GT

Simple curl flat combination and he throws the ball directly to the safety that rolled down pre snap. Nothing exotic about the way the defense played this, he just locked on and threw it to the defender. 

Ex. 2 Temple 

Fake screen/Wheel combination. Blake never identifies that corner carries with the wheel route. Pumps the screen and throws the wheel immediately. Corner makes a great play on the ball to pick it off. 

I expect to see a heavy dose of the run & screen game this week to take some pressure off BB. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see KB utilize some rub/pick concepts to allow BB to get to a read and get the ball out early. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

There’s a sense of panic in his game that shows in every aspect. Footwork (or lack thereof) in the pocket,

And I think CKB mentioned that this was one of the main things they worked on in the off-season.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Blake's issues are he might look amazing in practice but come the game time it's a different story.  He needs quick developing plays.  A semi decent qb could look good in this offense. 

If Blake cant do it in the game than next man up. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273

Blake has been forcing the ball to the wrong receiver for many games...not sure if this will be coached out of him...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Our offense doesn’t need any help when it comes to breaking down, we are world class.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Blake is a guy that has always gotten by on his immense physical ability and never developed the mental side of of his game. He locks onto the one guy and just let's it rip and isn't good at making the correct pre snap read. Add in his happy feet/bad pocket presence and you have what happened last Friday. Hopefully he can improve but this has been an issue with him since last season. Blake is who he is imo. I think we see McCloud in extended action sooner than later this season. Bell was basically furious everytime BB came to off the field and there wasn't very much dialog between the two. If we struggle as bad in the first half again this week I wouldn't be surprised to see McCloud get the rest of the game. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/9/2/20843862/watching-film-missed-opportunities-usf-football-wisconsin-kerwin-bell-blake-barnett-charlie-strong

Another good article that breaks down what happened. The guy who wrote this played for Kerwin Bell in HS.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

32 minutes ago, bullsonparade said:

Blake has been forcing the ball to the wrong receiver for many games...not sure if this will be coached out of him...

These clips were a nice analysis of the offense. It was obvious Barnett had this weakness last year too. I clearly remember a wide open receiver for a TD the last year that he ignored and forced a pass to a covered guy. Open man was on the right, he forced a throw to the left, because he never even looked to his right. 

Now with Bell I was hoping the new staff might bring along with it improved QB coaching and help Barnett improve. Seems in game one he still has room to improve. But it may be too strong of an engrained habit, where once it is game time he reverts back to old bad habits subconsciously. This can be corrected but it takes more of a psychology and cognitive behavioral therapy approach to do it, not just coaching. Habits can be triggered by environment, and game environment for Barnett triggers bad habits, that likely the practice environment doesn’t. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just start McCloud.  Barnett isn't going to all of a sudden magically change and be a good QB.  Let McCloud grow into it.  Otherwise we're in this situation next year all over again.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215

1 minute ago, Gismo said:

These clips were a nice analysis of the offense. It was obvious Barnett had this weakness last year too. I clearly remember a wide open receiver for a TD the last year that he ignored and forced a pass to a covered guy. Open man was on the right, he forced a throw to the left, because he never even looked to his right. 

Now with Bell I was hoping the new staff might bring along with it improved QB coaching and help Barnett improve. Seems in game one he still has room to improve. But it may be too strong of an engrained habit, where once it is game time he reverts back to old bad habits subconsciously. This can be corrected but it takes more of a psychology and cognitive behavioral therapy approach to do it, not just coaching. Habits can be triggered by environment, and game environment for Barnett triggers bad habits, that likely the practice environment doesn’t. 

I’m not so confident this can be fixed. Not because Blake doesn’t have the mental capacity or that this is simply a habit, but because reading a defense is the hardest thing for a QB to do. This is what separates good QBs from great QBs. 

This is why 7 on 7’s can be misleading. Reading a defense when the bullets are flying is a totally different animal. You either have it or you don’t. 

Could he potentially improve from terrible to simply poor in this aspect? Maybe. But that’s about the extent of improvement I would expect from coaching.