• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who keeps scaring away the old timers?

Guest S.  Bien
smazza,

We were 9-2 one year and didn't get a bowl.  How would scheduling UCF have helped that year?

He stumped me with that one too.  The last I heard NOT SCHEDULING UCF in the early years was supposedly a brilliant move by USF.

The world of smazza is so contrarian it's difficult to keep up.

Leavitt had this team bowl eligible for three straight years- 01-03- albeit certain ancillary aspects out of his control kept us from bowls in each of those three years.  That's pretty impressive to think our first three years in 1-A we were bowl eligible.  Someone might want to tell FAU, or FIU what that feels like.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

smazza,

We were 9-2 one year and didn't get a bowl.  How would scheduling UCF have helped that year?

Smazza shows again why he should be the Football Guru.

In 2002...USF did go 9-2....but here's Smazza's points

1) USF played TWO Div I-AA Games that year so they had only 7 Div I-A wins. It's hard to get a Bowl Bid as an Independent with only 7 I-A Wins. Had USF scheduled UCF instead of one of the Div I-AA teams...that would of given USF 8 I-A wins...plus since UCF was a pretty good team in '02 (6-2 in MAC), it would of been a nice I-A win.

2) USF didn't use the benefit of a 12th game that year (and didn't use the 12th game in '03 either...Only I-A Team in the Nation to only play 11 games in BOTH 12 game seasons). Again...had USF scheduled UCF for the 12th game...even if they still played 2 I-AA Teams in '02...having 10 wins as an independent is much more attractice then 9.

This gets old....Smazza is right again.

KL

PS. Yes...USF had scheduling challenges in both years...but so do many other teams...but USF still couldn't schedule a 12th game in either season...and was stuck playing 4 Div I-AA Games during those 2 seasons...and leaving 2 available games on the table.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That's assuming two things:

1.  That we replaced one of the 1AA games with UCF

2.  That we won that game

It still wouldn't have mattered, we were an upstart 1A independent, with no history of a following.

Guest S.  Bien

Smazza shows again why he should be the Football Guru.

In 2002...USF did go 9-2....but here's Smazza's points

1) USF played TWO Div I-AA Games that year so they had only 7 Div I-A wins. It's hard to get a Bowl Bid as an Independent with only 7 I-A Wins. Had USF scheduled UCF instead of one of the Div I-AA teams...that would of given USF 8 I-A wins...plus since UCF was a pretty good team in '02 (6-2 in MAC), it would of been a nice I-A win.

2) USF didn't use the benefit of a 12th game that year (and didn't use the 12th game in '03 either...Only I-A Team in the Nation to only play 11 games in BOTH 12 game seasons). Again...had USF scheduled UCF for the 12th game...even if they still played 2 I-AA Teams in '02...having 10 wins as an independent is much more attractice then 9.

This gets old....Smazza is right again.

KL

PS. Yes...USF had scheduling challenges in both years...but so do many other teams...but USF still couldn't schedule a 12th game in either season...and was stuck playing 4 Div I-AA Games during those 2 seasons...and leaving 2 available games on the table.

Let me get this straight, technically we were bowl eligible in 2003, and a technicality that was a departmental oversight kept us officially from being bowl eligible but we could have been.  Yet, you say we should have played you to be bowl eligilible?  Are you telling us all we would have easily whipped you and you were no better than any of the 1-AA teams?  

We were eligible with the 1-AA teams, but you're saying, "hey why not drop one of those 1-AA teams and take on a real 1-A patsy like us."  Trumpeting this little factoid doesn't reflect positively on your University KL.  You're basically telling us that kicking some knight butt would have been easier?  

Oh, and you're SOS those years would have done nothing to get us into a bowl game- it was the lack of conference affiliations in 02, and a stupid athletic department scheduling snafu in 03.  Nothing UCF could have done to rectify.

Maybe smazza is brilliant, maybe we should have been tearing into you guys back in 2002.  Then, you might have dropped to 1-AA by now, or decided to completely leave us alone.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Dont forget the knights already had a twelve game schedule. Their "brilliant plan" included pawning their return trip to CUSE on us (without asking Cuse first) and I beleive their was another game they would have had to reschedule to make the week we needed. But somehow they felt they had an open date for us. [it was a freaking joke is what their offer was.]

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Let me get this straight, technically we were bowl eligible in 2003, and a technicality that was a departmental oversight kept us officially from being bowl eligible but we could have been.  Yet, you say we should have played you to be bowl eligilible?  Are you telling us all we would have easily whipped you and you were no better than any of the 1-AA teams?  

We were eligible with the 1-AA teams, but you're saying, "hey why not drop one of those 1-AA teams and take on a real 1-A patsy like us."  Trumpeting this little factoid doesn't reflect positively on your University KL.   

Read SB...READ!!!

I mentioned that UCF went 6-2 in the MAC in 2002...and was a "pretty" good team. If you won...it would of been a pretty good Div I-A Win that year....vs your non-scholarship W vs Charleston Southern.

Sorry you missed my point...again.

I'm use to it.

Thankfully, this board still has Smazza since so many USF fans put your in your place (and scared you off) this fall.

KL

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Why are the 'oldtimers' being scared away?

Simple answer: some people are intolerant to opinions other than there own and presume to make themselves the end and be all of all things Bull.

There is nothing wrong with heated discussion but when some people can't counter an opinion w/o childish name calling you are eventually going to turn people off from participating. That  in turn hurts the online community as whole b/c people think twice before posting.

I've unfortunately seen this happen on many boards...

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Why are the 'oldtimers' being scared away?

Simple answer: some people are intolerant to opinions other than there own and presume to make themselves the end and be all of all things Bull.

There is nothing wrong with heated discussion but when some people can't counter an opinion w/o childish name calling you are eventually going to turn people off from participating. That  in turn hurts the online community as whole b/c people think twice before posting.

I've unfortunately seen this happen on many boards...

I have seen the error of my ways on this and from now on, no matter how mind numbingly ignorant a fellow Bulls fan appears to be, there will be no more childish names coming from this keyboard ........ but the next time someone starts to talk up replacing Leavitt with Erickson or Davis without having even completed a year in the Big East, it's going to take the willpower of a saint to adhere to that.   ;)

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I have seen the error of my ways on this and from now on, no matter how mind numbingly ignorant a fellow Bulls fan appears to be, there will be no more childish names coming from this keyboard ........ but the next time someone starts to talk up replacing Leavitt with Erickson or Davis without having even completed a year in the Big East, it's going to take the willpower of a saint to adhere to that.   ;)

Or you can just buy a new keyboard ;)

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Or you can just buy a new keyboard ;)

Maybe I should have said "fingers" instead of "keyboard" for you literal types out there .......... and shouldn't you be somewhere saying "Hail Marys" for your Red Sox today??