• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who keeps scaring away the old timers?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

I take full responsibility ....... hopefully they won't unregister.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Okay, here is my answer on the three old timers that do not post here any longer.

HowieP - a couple of newer members berated him over his call-in to Deumig.  He hasn't returned.  Some say he's thin-skinned.  Those that know Howie, know he is not thin-skinned.  It's a matter of choice.  

This board has grown incredibly since Howie and others first started posting here 5 or more years ago.  It was quite intimate then with members meeting up at games and other functions.  I think with all of the new members, there is less of a camaraderie type feeling and some people come to the board for the sense of commuity and not to be berated.  

That kind of continued "Bull on Bull" criticism and negativity will surely chase others away as well.

I read a post earlier (been out a few days) that another poster is getting fed up with his co-Bulls here.  

I think it bears mentioning that the goal here is to build a strong and vibrant online Bulls community.  No where in strong and vibrant does it mean being rude to other Bulls.  I think all members here, new and old, need to realize that the idea is to build support not destroy it.  Respect one another as well as each other's opinion on the Bulls.

s.bien, is another story.  He has long been a staunch supporter of Rivals.  I don't hold that against him, but that surely makes it easy for him not to post here.   Bien has ruffled several feathers here, so I am not sure exactly which of the groups discussed previously he most belongs too!  But in all fairness to him, I would say that he reduced his posting here because for a couple reasons - only one of which I will mention here.  I know he dislikes the anti-Bull ********.  The anti-Leavitt-********, the Anti-P.J. ********, the anti-Rod Smith ********, the anti-everything ********.  He tires easily of criticism of the Bulls and feels obligated to defend every criticism, whether it is positive criticism or negative cynicism.  Rivals boards tend to need the school for access to stories and geerally do not tolerate the criticism.  See UCFKnights.com.

The third oldtimer to leave was South_Tampa_Knight....and the Bulls football team chased him away.

So not all lost are "lost".  Just kidding.   ;)  The bring back STK campaign will start soon, but we're waiting on our new delivery of crow to arrive...(you see, ya pick on the opponents, not our own Bulls fans).

But seriously, I ask everyone reading this to remember we're all Bulls fans.  We should be building an environment that attracts and develops new Bulls fans.  Keep that in mind the next time you engage a fellow Bull - it's more than just some other stranger on a message board.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

The bring back STK campaign will start soon.

Please God, no....

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Please God, no....

Yes, and don't call me God...the STKpalooza will kick off the drive to "Feed STK" next weekend.  We'll have images and catchphrases everything.  S-T-K! S-T-K!

Seriously, I did forget something.  When I mentioned s.bien and his defending every possible criticism (just or unjust) of the program, its coaches, its players, its playing field, the numbers on the back of the jerseys, etc., I forgot one other key point.

This board has always welcomed criticism of the school, the Athletic Association (Bulls Club), the coaches, etc., unlike some other forums you'll see around the landscape.  It's really the only way to have open frank discussion or debate about the program you love and support.  

But this too, is being abused.  As fans we should display an image of knowing a little more about our team and its coaches as well as a little faith in what they are trying to accomplish given the mix of inputs they have.

To come out after a loss and cry to the heavens about how poor a particular player or coach is is disturbing.

Check the emotions after a tough game and then open some real debate when you have some facts.  The criticisms I get very tired of seeing (besides the ones that are out of line or personal) are the attacks on our student athletes.  These guys are busting their rears out there...they're BULLS!  To insult them when they are truly leaving it all on the field is WRONG.  They were brought here for a reason - and to stand subject to any fan's rudeness, name-calling, booing, etc. is just plain wrong.  

So while I have subtley asked that we take it a little easier on each other here, I'd also like to ask that those guilty quit disparaging our own players too.

modified to correct typo

Okay, here is my answer on the three old timers that do not post here any longer.

HowieP - a couple of newer members berated him over his call-in to Deumig.  He hasn't returned.  Some say he's thin-skinned.  Those that know Howie, know he is not thin-skinned.  It's a matter of choice.  

This board has grown incredibly since Howie and others first started posting here 5 or more years ago.  It was quite intimate then with members meeting up at games and other functions.  I think with all of the new members, there is less of a camaraderie type feeling and some people come to the board for the sense of commuity and not to be berated.  

That kind of continued "Bull on Bull" criticism and negativity will surely chase others away as well.

I read a post earlier (been out a few days) that another poster is getting fed up with his co-Bulls here.  

I think it bears mentioning that the goal here is to build a strong and vibrant online Bulls community.  No where in strong and vibrant does it mean being rude to other Bulls.  I think all members here, new and old, need to realize that the idea is to build support not destroy it.  Respect one another as well as each other's opinion on the Bulls.

s.bien, is another story.  He has long been a staunch supporter of Rivals.  I don't hold that against him, but that surely makes it easy for him not to post here.   Bien has ruffled several feathers here, so I am not sure exactly which of the groups discussed previously he most belongs too!  But in all fairness to him, I would say that he reduced his posting here because for a couple reasons - only one of which I will mention here.  I know he dislikes the anti-Bull ********.  The anti-Leavitt-********, the Anti-P.J. ********, the anti-Rod Smith ********, the anti-everything ********.  He tires easily of criticism of the Bulls and feels obligated to defend every criticism, whether it is positive criticism or negative cynicism.  Rivals boards tend to need the school for access to stories and geerally do not tolerate the criticism.  See UCFKnights.com.

The third oldtimer to leave was South_Tampa_Knight....and the Bulls football team chased him away.

So not all lost are "lost".  Just kidding.   ;)  The bring back STK campaign will start soon, but we're waiting on our new delivery of crow to arrive...(you see, ya pick on the opponents, not our own Bulls fans).

But seriously, I ask everyone reading this to remember we're all Bulls fans.  We should be building an environment that attracts and develops new Bulls fans.  Keep that in mind the next time you engage a fellow Bull - it's more than just some other stranger on a message board.

Howie and bien need to come back if for no other reason than to give you hell for lumping STK in with them .....

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

STK isn't gone... he's just renamed (to avoid the crow)... BullHater anyone?  

STK isn't gone... he's just renamed (to avoid the crow)... BullHater anyone?

That would be too obvious ....... besides, STK would NEVER have a post like this:

First two plays I almost crapped my pants.  Had the receiver held on to the ball on the first play it was a touchdown and had not Hall run into his own man on the second it would have been a touchdown.  After that it was over.  Your defense did play great, the offense just put them in bad situations.  I think Leavitt should give Denson more playing time, your offense seemed to move the ball pass its own 30 with him in the game.  Julmiste was very erratic as I expected.  USF is in limbo at this point, clearly not ready to join the Big 3 but clearly better than everyone else in the state.  A little more focus on the passing game and your team will go bowling this season.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

I guess I don't know if I qualify as one of the "newer" folks that Bulliever is referring to.  While my post count is relatively low compared to most here, I've been a lurker since the very beginning.  I was one of the original members to sign up here.  While I can understand, and completely agree with Bulliever's desire to create a bigger and better Bull universe, I can't be too critical of what he's calling "bull on bull" criticism.  Everyone here has their own opinions.  Sometimes those opinions are going to differ and a spat will ensue.  Not a big deal in my book.  I thought that the purpose of these boards is to voice our feelings.  I don't condone making things personal here (unless it is against one of our opponents ;)).  It is unfortunate that some people have taken things to a personal level, and that has caused a few regulars to drift away from the board, but I think that it is great that we have grown this board over the past few years, and that some new blood and fresh thoughts are tossed around.  People will come and go from this board, the important thing is that we treat each other with some respect, and keep the Bull fire burning bright.

Just my couple of pennies.