• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Need your thoughts

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

I find it interesting - for some time, some people seem to be segregating into Leavitt-era and others into the post-Leavitt era.  But the only group which seems to be unsatisfied with the other group is the post-Leavitt era.  I'm a Leavitt fan.  So, sue me.  I had season tickets back then and witnessed first-hand the "Glory Days". 

I think many of us go back to the memories of those days 1) as proof that this program could be exciting, sell out games, beat big programs.  It already happened, so I know it is possible; and 2) as an escape from the current frustrating times. 

It is really curious how this rankles some people, though. 

If someone could take a shot at explaining it, it would be enlightening.  I see it as an unnecessary divide but I have been known to have missed something.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

I am simply a supporter of USF. Leavitt, no Leavitt, period. While Leavitt could have been a Bobby Bowden for USF (and I'll be frank with you, I have a feeling Bowden probably got away with stuff like what Leavitt was fired for), once his era was done, it was done. I don't think anyone realizes just what an incredible coach he was. he took a school from FCS to a power conference in under a decade. Granted, people like Lee Roy Selmon had as much or more a role in that, but the guy built the program to the point of heavy success. UF, FSU, and Miami were irrelevant for thirty years or more before they actually became relevant in football, and UCF took 30 years to get anywhere. 

The divide for me is "well, he only won 7-9 games a year!". Yeah, but he did it while slaying bigger teams and selling people on the promise of USF football. Strong did while losing six games in a row. 

All I want is for USF to be successful. I don't know if that's too much to ask for. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

My guess @Grateful Dad is they are the "plateau" crowd, those that tired of the 8-9 wins.  it wasn't enough for them.  Now, with blood on their hands, there's nothing redeeming about that era to them.  It's how they excuse the behavior.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,834
  • Days Won:  67

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

My guess @Grateful Dad is they are the "plateau" crowd, those that tired of the 8-9 wins.  it wasn't enough for them.  Now, with blood on their hands, there's nothing redeeming about that era to them.  It's how they excuse the behavior.

I really don’t care as much about the past, the team was fun, competitive and made great progress in a short time.  This does nothing to help us in our current state, what can we do now to bring back some excitement, relishing in the past does us no good, and I loved and still love CJL but he is in the past much like my six pack abs and my full head of hair, I can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see what fills up quicker.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  116
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt is gone and he is not coming back. Like a lot in life, as a fan you have to move on. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I really don’t care as much about the past, the team was fun, competitive and made great progress in a short time.  This does nothing to help us in our current state, what can we do now to bring back some excitement, relishing in the past does us no good, and I loved and still love CJL but he is in the past much like my six pack abs and my full head of hair, I can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see what fills up quicker.

Exactly, how does CJL beating someone 12 years ago help now? **** it makes me feel worse. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, StPeteBull91 said:

Leavitt is gone and he is not coming back. Like a lot in life, as a fan you have to move on. 

He is beyond gone. I wonder if he will ever coach again as an assistant...no way in hell he gets a head coaching job. 

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

14 minutes ago, StPeteBull91 said:

Dude, we’re never moving on! Only CJL can bring back the winning attitude at USF

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,834
  • Days Won:  67

11 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Dude, we’re never moving on! Only CJL can bring back the winning attitude at USF

He is gone, get over it, I love this guy but it is over, fat lady has sung, you can’t ever go home, let it go bro.  Wish I was wrong but I am not.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Exactly, how does CJL beating someone 12 years ago help now? **** it makes me feel worse. 

Not sure anyone says it helps now, you just sort of follow in line with that assertion.