• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong Wins/Loses and SOS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

It was stated by some reporter or blogger  that Charlie Strong has not done well against teams with winning records.  Looking over his head coaching history that is most apparent.  His best season as a HC was at Louisville in 2013.  The strength of schedule, SOS, of that team was 110 of 125.  On the flip side the toughest SOS his teams has faced was at Texas in 2014 which had a SOS of 5.29, 16 of 128.  That was his first year at Texas and that team finished 6-6 in the regular season and lost their bowl game to finish 6-7.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/charlie-strong-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/louisville/2013-schedule.html

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

I was looking at his win\loss record this morning and decided to calculate his record with/without Bridgewater and Flowers.

With TB/QF: 40-11

Without: 30-34

Edited by USFBULL_08
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

I was looking at his win\loss record this morning and decided to calculate his record with/without Bridgewater and Flowers.

With TB/QF: 40-11

Without: 30-34

This is a bit circular and dumb. All coaches win more with the QBs that were on the team when they won more. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

18 hours ago, Blackice12 said:

It was stated by some reporter or blogger  that Charlie Strong has not done well against teams with winning records. 

I read that article too, can't remember where. But it was striking.  Actually, I think I know where it is....

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Maybe this is what I was thinking of, only addressing his time at South Florida:

The Charlie Strong era, now in its third season at USF, isn’t as black and white as his record would indicate. Ten and two in 2017. Pretty good, right? And then there was last year. How do you figure that?

After their 10-2 season, the Bulls were supposed to challenge Central Florida for the AAC East championship. Of course that never happened. But when you look at it, that 10-2 season, while impressive numerically, really wasn’t that impressive at all.

For example discounting his two wins over FCS schools Elon and Stony Brook, Strong is 15-8 against FBS competition. But let’s look at that a little bit. Of the nine FBS teams Strong beat in 2017, only one, Temple, finished with a winning record and that was 7-6. All told, the nine schools USF beat were a combined 35-80.

Then there was last year. Again, the 7-0 looks good but it wasn’t nearly as good as it looks. Even while his Bulls were slipping past people, Strong quietly cautioned that USF “wasn’t dominating anybody,” which was true.

The Bulls were behind three of the six FBS teams they beat, Georgia Tech, Illinois and Tulsa, in the fourth quarter and pulled out two of the wins near the end of the game. While there’s something to be said for that, the fact is USF could well have lost all three and had a 4-3 start instead of 7-0.

And again, discounting Elon, of the six FBS teams USF dropped during the winning streak, only one, 7-6 Georgia Tech, had a winning record. So, in the two years he has been here, USF has beaten FBS teams with a combined 57-131 record. And the two winning teams the Bulls did beat were both 7-6.

In other words, USF has never beaten a really good team since Strong has been here. And for USF to get where it wants to go, that has to change.

LINK - Bulls need quality win

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

Does anyone know if the firecharliestrong.com domain is available? Asking for a friend.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Does anyone know if the firecharliestrong.com domain is available? Asking for a friend.

I have it. I’ll give it to you for free just send me your social security number and you’ll be all set...

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

Y'all are gonna feel silly when Charlie goes 11-1 and brings the AAC hardware home

Edited by USFBulls727
  • Haha 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327

3 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Y'all are gonna feel silly when Charlie goes 11-1 and brings the AAC hardware home

Nothing would make me happier if that happened. I will gladly eat crow if he goes 11-1.  But in the meantime, we're terrible until we're not.