• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Start McCloud!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

19 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Matt Floyd 

Well if we are going change the offense then ok, but Q wasn’t that great in the offense that Floyd was running. Now when Taggs went GCO then it’s a different story 

Edited by BrassBulls12

Guest Jonesy Bull

BB had a terrible game, but so did the ENTIRE team. 

Lets at least see how the next couple of games play out for BB, before we announce the great McLeod corporate takeover. 

This is BB's team for now.....but McCloud had a real chance to be a star for us down the line.  KB has pretty much said as much if you read between the lines.  But he is not "The Man" quite yet.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  140

24 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

So when we practice. The defense stands still? I understand there’s a different pressure but no coach will ever just throw out what happens in practice. If McCloud starts it’s because he is practicing better than BB  

I agree-- best way to evaluate other than live game results is what they see in practice. Practice doesn't have the same conditions though-- the crowds, noises, distractions etc. I assume they try to simulate it as best they can (or maybe not).

I think Barnett probably has all the physical tools-- the measurable stuff that win QB camps. But in the end-- two things we might be overlooking here are this isn't always 100% on him (team sport) but more importantly, some guys are just "gamers". Not the video type-- but those who excel on the field and come through in the clutch. Grothe and Flowers were those type of players--- Marquel was as well. Some of them are little better with reading defenses,knowing their offense and their team mates. Others just now how to escape or improvise. I don't see much improvisation from Barnett-- and in looking at game film, he is often caught staring down his primary receiver. When he does seem to have a pocket-- instead of moving up in it, he tends to drift out of it for whatever reason. Maybe they are bad habits that no one can correct. It might even be that he doesn't believe enough in his line and thinks he will have to scramble after that inner clock says "run" or is it "drift right" -- not sure.

As for McCloud--- I think you have to work him into games when it makes sense. He should have probably played the entire 4th quarter and maybe part of the 3rd. That game was basically over-- why risk injury to your #1 QB at that point?

I have not seen enough of McCloud to know whether we are better off with him in there. People tend to bring up the mobility thing but Barnett used to get plenty of yards last season. He can move imo -- and I hope this isn't a case of race being the reason others are convinced McCloud is the better athlete mobility wise. They made that claim last season about Oladokun who was never known as a dual threat in HS. Anyway-- that should not be the primary reason anyway. If the kid can ball -- let's see him play. Maybe not start but get his feet wet out there in meaningful games.

I have to cut Barnett a little slack in that he is once again with a new OC, new system etc -- and like his OC-- first game going against a quality defense. Yeah-- we can go back to last season and all the bad stuff there I suppose. But he's a senior-- he deserves a real shot to show what he can do. Pull him out of the starter role right now seems premature. Honestly-- McCloud will be in there sooner or later most likely with an injury situation, as we saw last year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

13 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Well if we are going change the offense then ok, but Q wasn’t that great in the offense that Floyd was running. Now when Taggs went GCO then it’s a different story 

This makes no sense and isn't comparable. Blake's skill set is allegedly supposed to to be great for this system. Maybe, just maybe Blake has a bounced around as much as he has beacaue he has all the physical tools but never developed mentally. We're going to to find out really soon because this scheme doesn't get any easier and the fact we had to dumb it down last week doesn't bode well. BB isn't Bell's guy and if he craps the bed next week in the first half we'll probably see McCloud sooner than later. Bell is fighting for his job just as much as CCS this season. He has no loyalty to BB and McClouds mobility adds a dimension to the offense we don't have. 

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  140

12 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

This makes no sense and isn't comparable. Blake's skill set is allegedly supposed to to be great for this system. Maybe, just maybe Blake has a bounced around as much as he has beacaue he has all the physical tools but never developed mentally. We're going to to find out really soon because this scheme doesn't get any easier and the fact we had to dumb it down last week doesn't bode well. BB isn't Bell's guy and if he craps the bed next week in the first half we'll probably see McCloud sooner than later. Bell is fighting for his job just as much as CCS this season. He has no loyalty to BB and McClouds mobility adds a dimension to the offense we don't have. 

Is anyone on the offense Bell's guy? Not sure if he had any hand in the recruiting.

I agree about having the tools but maybe not the more important stuff. As I said-- some guys are just gamers. People who win a lot know how to win, even when it looks like they are going to lose.

When you mentioned that they had to dumb down the offense some last week-- where did you hear/read that? Did it have anything to do with Ford getting pulled from playing at the last minute? Ford being out is something I felt had to impact BB - as much as we have talked about him changing to slot and it seemed like the offense was going to feature him heavily. I bet Barnett was throwing to him all summer long. I might be overestimating that interaction and importance a bit though.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I think those drops were huge. Big chunk yardage to keep drives going while down 7 to 0. Then boom we are down 14 to zero then boom left tackle gets beat so cleanly and 21 to 0. Game is out of reach and the dline can just pin their ears back and GO. For a limited mobility QB those drops essentially equated to death. 

16 minutes ago, MikeG said:

Is anyone on the offense Bell's guy? Not sure if he had any hand in the recruiting.

I agree about having the tools but maybe not the more important stuff. As I said-- some guys are just gamers. People who win a lot know how to win, even when it looks like they are going to lose.

When you mentioned that they had to dumb down the offense some last week-- where did you hear/read that? Did it have anything to do with Ford getting pulled from playing at the last minute? Ford being out is something I felt had to impact BB - as much as we have talked about him changing to slot and it seemed like the offense was going to feature him heavily. I bet Barnett was throwing to him all summer long. I might be overestimating that interaction and importance a bit though.

Yup, nobody is so it's either perform or next man up. Bell was not happy with what BB did after those first couple drives. I can hardly imagine being that furious and a guy's job being secure. BB has a chance to bounce back this week but Tech's Secondary is legitimate good and the rest of the defense is P5 athletes. Blake is walking a fine line because CCS and Bell have to find a way to make the offense work or this season is doomed and so are they. They see the same mental state we have seen the last 8 games and they will be looking for a spark sooner than later 

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

On 9/4/2019 at 4:33 PM, Bull Dozer said:

Maybe, just maybe Blake has a bounced around as much as he has beacaue he has all the physical tools but never developed mentally. 

This is spot on, but I also believe the reverse to be true, which makes this a cycle.  The mental development also hasn't happened because he has bounced around.  

He did himself a disservice.  I just don't see everything all of a sudden clicking for him at this stage in his college career.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

10 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

This is spot on, but I also believe the reverse to be true, which makes this a cycle.  The mental development also hasn't happened because he has bounced around.  

He did himself a disservice.  I just don't see everything all of a sudden clicking for him at this stage in his college career.

Excellent point! There is a cost to bouncing around. For some reason I think he has a decent game tomorrow. Worse case he can flip to Ford and let that kid do his thang. 

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Excellent point! There is a cost to bouncing around. For some reason I think he has a decent game tomorrow. Worse case he can flip to Ford and let that kid do his thang. 

I hope be bounces back because the team needs a win in the worst way.  You can see the "here we go again" mentality in them when adversity strikes and that mentality is poison to a program.