• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Badgers Press Conference

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

I believe Nick Carroll lives here.  Isn't any easier even though he is used to it.  If anything, our guys should benefit from lower humidity when we travel but then you can't grip the football.

So basically what that Doctor is saying is that the Humidity gives neither team an advantage or disadvantage.  I find that hard to believe, but I'm not a Doctor.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

3 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

So basically what that Doctor is saying is that the Humidity gives neither team an advantage or disadvantage.  I find that hard to believe, but I'm not a Doctor.

Didn't get into specifics but it makes sense to me.  A body will tend to sweat based on the heat and humidity. Doesn't matter that it happened before. The next day you are going to sweat again.  Could be a psychological edge knowing you can get through it because you've done it?  Don't know.  But our guys do seem to cramp as much as players from the opposition over the years.

Guest Jonesy Bull
Just now, CousinRicky said:

Didn't get into specifics but it makes sense to me.  A body will tend to sweat based on the heat and humidity. Doesn't matter that it happened before. The next day you are going to sweat again.  Could be a psychological edge knowing you can get through it because you've done it?  Don't know.  But our guys do seem to cramp as much as players from the opposition over the years.

Going through it and knowing what to expect I would think gives our guys at the very least somewhat of a psychological advantage, if not physical one as well. 

Either way, no matter we still have to make the plays on the field to win the game.  The weather is only a contributing factor.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,341
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

JB is correct.  Fact, if you are not acclimated to high temperatures and humidity then you are at a greater risk of cramping, heat stress, and heat strokes.  

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

https://ksi.uconn.edu/prevention/heat-acclimatization/

Heat acclimation or acclimatization plays a large part in the body’s physical responses and overall ability to cope with heat exposure. Heat acclimation is a broad term that can be loosely defined as a complex series of changes or adaptations that occur in response to heat stress in a controlled environment over the course of 7 to 14 days. These adaptations are beneficial to exercise in the heat and allow the body to better cope with heat stress. Heat acclimatization describes the same process, but happens in a natural environment. In either case, the positive adaptations that occur include reductions in:

• Heart rate
  • Internal body temperature responses
  • Skin temperature responses
  • Sweat electrolyte concentrations
  • Rating of perceived exertion

As well as increases in:

• Sweat rate
  • Sweat onset (sweating starts earlier)
  • Blood flow
  • Exercise performance in the heat and cooler conditions

All of these changes improve an athlete’s ability to handle heat stress during exercise.

7 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

https://ksi.uconn.edu/prevention/heat-acclimatization/

Heat acclimation or acclimatization plays a large part in the body’s physical responses and overall ability to cope with heat exposure. Heat acclimation is a broad term that can be loosely defined as a complex series of changes or adaptations that occur in response to heat stress in a controlled environment over the course of 7 to 14 days. These adaptations are beneficial to exercise in the heat and allow the body to better cope with heat stress. Heat acclimatization describes the same process, but happens in a natural environment. In either case, the positive adaptations that occur include reductions in:

• Heart rate
  • Internal body temperature responses
  • Skin temperature responses
  • Sweat electrolyte concentrations
  • Rating of perceived exertion

As well as increases in:

• Sweat rate
  • Sweat onset (sweating starts earlier)
  • Blood flow
  • Exercise performance in the heat and cooler conditions

All of these changes improve an athlete’s ability to handle heat stress during exercise.

You or someone else posted that already.  I'm not going to bother to research finding an article to disagree with that but it may be out there. Or it may not and the doctor was full of BS.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

I don't think it was me, but I only have two brain cells left and one is waving bye-bye to the other.  I found it interesting that it is a short time to acclimation - "over the course of 7 to 14 days."

2 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

I don't think it was me, but I only have two brain cells left and one is waving bye-bye to the other.  I found it interesting that it is a short time to acclimation - "over the course of 7 to 14 days."

If what you posted is true then we should have an advantage - unless Wisconsin turned up the heat in their indoor practice facility.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I was in Jax last weekend and biked 51 miles in three hours and thirty minutes. The total elevation was around 290 feet.  I started at 6:00am and by 9:30 I was totally bonking. On Tuesday, back home, the temperature was 71 degrees at 10 am. Biked 52 miles in just over 3 hours (3:05) and had over 3,000 feet of elevation. No doubt there is a difference. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

You or someone else posted that already.  I'm not going to bother to research finding an article to disagree with that but it may be out there. Or it may not and the doctor was full of BS.

To be fair this is kind of a niche question. It would probably depend on what kind of doctor he was to give a fully informed answer.