• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Concussion Prevention Helmets

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

35 minutes ago, puc86 said:

If these are effective at protecting injury why not use them in game? Simply because of vanity?

These products limit the blow to the head, but only up to a certain force. Generally when teams use these, teams aren’t going 100%. At 50-75% practices, these can help limit the blows from accidental helmet to helmet contact. In a game situation however, the benefit of these products is zero to none 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, BullyPulpit said:

I'm sure the passengers on Sully's plane were pretty happy that those were there for their use, just in case. 

Weren't there rescue boats there in minutes? If my plane has to land in the Atlantic, and the pilot miracles his way to a second successful water landing I am going to set out to swim until I sink and people can think what they like but that's not the same thing as me setting out to drown myself. 

3 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

These products limit the blow to the head, but only up to a certain force. Generally when teams use these, teams aren’t going 100%. At 50-75% practices, these can help limit the blows from accidental helmet to helmet contact. In a game situation however, the benefit of these products is zero to none 

So we just have to measure people's effort and penalize anyone going 100%. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So we just have to measure people's effort and penalize anyone going 100%. 

Can’t wait for effort challenge flags 

1 minute ago, IBulleve said:

Can’t wait for effort challenge flags 

No challenges the AI algorithm will never fail us, I for one welcome our computer overlords. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

There was a guy that played for the Buffalo Bills maybe 20-25 years ago named Mark Kelso that wore a similar helmet. Not sure why they wouldn't have made that the norm if it helped at all.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I just looked into the Guardian Caps further. From one study I found, the pads apparently helped at only two possible collision points, but the conclusion of the study is that they don't have any measurable impact in reducing the force of impact. 

5 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I just looked into the Guardian Caps further. From one study I found, the pads apparently helped at only two possible collision points, but the conclusion of the study is that they don't have any measurable impact in reducing the force of impact. 

So it probably hasn't had an effect on any perceived decline in injuries. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, puc86 said:

So it probably hasn't had an effect on any perceived decline in injuries. 

I'm guessing that is the case. Of course, maybe there is some sort of prophylactic result wherein the players see each other with the funny helmet pads on and are more cautious in how the tackle and hit one another, but I don't think there would be an appreciable reduction in injuries that could be directly attributed to the impact reduction due to the foam padding's absorptive effects. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,832
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, USFBulls727 said:

There was a guy that played for the Buffalo Bills maybe 20-25 years ago named Mark Kelso that wore a similar helmet. Not sure why they wouldn't have made that the norm if it helped at all.

That was similar but just an extra shell, besides looking like an idiot, I don’t think it was effective either.  The guy that lived above me in Tampa played off line for a short stint in the NFL and had to quit due to concussions.  He tried a comeback with a failed league (forgot the name) early 90’s and wore the extra shell exactly like Kelso however did not last the year because he got another concussion and had to retire for good.