• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will Humidity Play A Role Against Wisconsin?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

Someone should start a poll:  Number of Badgers cramping up vs # of Bulls.  I'd go with 9 to 6.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

51 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Someone should start a poll:  Number of Badgers cramping up vs # of Bulls.  I'd go with 9 to 6.

Especially the linemen 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

5 hours ago, JohnKester59 said:

Oh I know Florida is on a different level, I used to stay with my cousins in Plantation every summer and it was unlike anything I've ever experienced.  But the game isn't at peak Tampa heat, it is at the end of August and at night. Right now it says it should be 88 with a low of 77.  Those are temps that Wisconsinites are very familiar with. That was my only point, that it does get humid in Wisconsin (not like peak Florida) so it shouldn't be a total shock to our guys. It's not like UCLA or Stanford coming down.

I think you are discounting just how much humidity can effect things. Yes, you guys got lucky that the game is kicking off later, but, if we don't catch an afternoon shower (looking less and less likely that we will) or, if it is a very brief afternoon shower, you can expect a heat index right around 93 degrees at kickoff. If we were lucky enough to have a 3:30 pm kickoff, you would likely be facing a heat index right around 104 degrees or so. 88 in Tampa is NOTHING like 88 in Madison. 

A quick look at the weather in Madison since the month of August reveals that, at the absolute highest temperature on the most humid day of August, your boys MAY have been practicing in a heat index around 90 degrees on August 3rd and 87 degrees on August 4th. Every other practice would have been held with heat indexes at 85 degrees or far less. 

The humidity you experience up north occurs more in the evenings and the mornings when temperatures drop. You don't have humidity over 60% at the hottest point in the day. Tampa is not like that. The humidity is relatively constant and there isn't a drastic cool down when the sun sets. 

I'm not saying your guys are going to be dying out there, but to look at just the temperature doesn't tell the whole story, not by a long-shot. 

5 hours ago, JohnKester59 said:

Oh I know Florida is on a different level, I used to stay with my cousins in Plantation every summer and it was unlike anything I've ever experienced.  But the game isn't at peak Tampa heat, it is at the end of August and at night. Right now it says it should be 88 with a low of 77.  Those are temps that Wisconsinites are very familiar with. That was my only point, that it does get humid in Wisconsin (not like peak Florida) so it shouldn't be a total shock to our guys. It's not like UCLA or Stanford coming down.

I should also note that Stanford has had a few warm snaps this summer, with the heat index reaching 93 degrees or so on a few days. That will help them as they prepare to face UCF in what will be a 3:30 pm sauna. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

Ok dudes I’m putting this to rest now. The heat and the humidity will factor for both teams  but USF has the advantage. It’s 8 days and less than an hour till kickoff and it’s as HOT as I’ve been here (28 yrs). Mix in some waters with your beverages or you’ll be screwing yourselves. Freaking hot and miserable. Hope ur tickets aren’t in the visitor side, John.

16 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Ok dudes I’m putting this to rest now. The heat and the humidity will factor for both teams  but USF has the advantage. It’s 8 days and less than an hour till kickoff and it’s as HOT as I’ve been here (28 yrs). Mix in some waters with your beverages or you’ll be screwing yourselves. Freaking hot and miserable. Hope ur tickets aren’t in the visitor side, John.

This is why you need to train. Beginning August 1 you have to be out there for two-a-days on Saturdays and Sundays. Just sit out in the heat and drink for 7 hours straight. The training comes in handy at the actual games. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

No joke gonna be hot. but I’ll take your advice. But take mine too mix in some water. We need ya out there.🤘

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,834
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Especially the linemen 

I think our team normally cramps up as much as the visiting teams.  UW may fake some to slow the O down but I don’t think cramping will be the main issue.  Our D will likely play more snaps and be at risk for more cramps.  I do feel the humidity will play a factor in our favor, end of the day if we are banking on the weather to help us win then we lose.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  484
  • Days Won:  1

I'm having fond memories of our noon game against GT last year. Around 90 degrees, nearly 80% humidity, minimal cloud coverage... ah, good times.  

18 minutes ago, Vivadiscordia said:

I'm having fond memories of our noon game against GT last year. Around 90 degrees, nearly 80% humidity, minimal cloud coverage... ah, good times.  

Kickoff was actually a "cool" 84 degrees. By 1 pm it was up to 86 degrees with about 70% humidity. Feels like temp was probably right around 94 or so. 

I'm telling you, if we get one of those 5 to 15 minute light showers around 5:00 pm that don't last long and enough and aren't big enough to lower the temperature it could be 84 degrees at kickoff with 90% humidity, which equates to a feels like temperature of 98 degrees.