• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Names that you are not hearing on D.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I'm not saying that Sawtelle is the end all be all, but you do realize we were 7-0 with him on the field and 6-0 without him. The defense wasn't great before he went out with injury, but we were doing enough to win. If he is healthy, he is the starter and one of the leaders on defense. Transfers don't come in and just take over a locker room. Respect and trust is earned and Nico has worked towards that with his teammates.

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

Safety was definitely an issue for us last year, hope they have it figured out, in my mind thats the weakest part of our defense last year

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

29 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'm not saying that Sawtelle is the end all be all, but you do realize we were 7-0 with him on the field and 6-0 without him. The defense wasn't great before he went out with injury, but we were doing enough to win. If he is healthy, he is the starter and one of the leaders on defense. Transfers don't come in and just take over a locker room. Respect and trust is earned and Nico has worked towards that with his teammates.

I thought we were 7-0 with him also but it was actually 6-0. We didn't need him for UConn ..... and the leadership thing is key, IMO. It was what was missing last year on both sides of the ball and that should definitely be filled this year by Nico and BB.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

40 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

This

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I thought we were 7-0 with him also but it was actually 6-0. We didn't need him for UConn ..... and the leadership thing is key, IMO. It was what was missing last year on both sides of the ball and that should definitely be filled this year by Nico and BB.

I agree

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

7 minutes ago, dausfbulls11 said:

Safety was definitely an issue for us last year, hope they have it figured out, in my mind thats the weakest part of our defense last year

I'd argue LB was the weakness considering we started a 190 pound safety at one of the LB positions and had to move a DE to LB because of lack of depth.  It was pretty obvious LB was a big problem last season.   But J Thomas and Hoggins were not very good for us last season.  Thomas got sat in favor of a freshman and Hoggins gave up big plays in both the run game and passing game.  was ugly... now that I think about it... I can see why you said safety. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

This thread is dumb.  Our D line and LB Corp was terrible for various reasons some were bad luck and some were baked in.  But by all means let's blame the safeties.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Days Won:  2

22 minutes ago, usfbullrider said:

This thread is dumb.  Our D line and LB Corp was terrible for various reasons some were bad luck and some were baked in.  But by all means let's blame the safeties.

Might want to watch the Houston game again....our secondary was torched all game. 

But yea also vs Tulane so was LB and DL. 

Our defense was in bad shape the end of the season....actually most of the season.   

Edited by Bulls On Parade
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

Well the thread wasn't playing D. If you think Sawtelle's play alone was the reason we were 6-0 then you are sadly mistaken.

Certainly one thing we all can agree on is that the position, along with the secondary needed an upgrade. 

Blake Barnett led the offense as a transfer. However, Reeves and Livingston  can fill that role. 

I promise you that Strong is not going to let Sawtelle and Roberts get him ran out of town when.you have better options. Grier was active in the spring game. Mims looked serviceable. Sawtelle looked awful playing opposite of a legit backer in Sanchez. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I've tried to forget most of last season but suggesting talented players drop down to div ii is ridiculous.  I know players gave up we don't need to make any assumptions about this season though.  These are loyal Bulls IMO so let's wait a few more days and see who makes plays.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

28 minutes ago, usfbullrider said:

But by all means let's blame the safeties.

Former safety?  :)

• Haha 1