• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Names that you are not hearing on D.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  12,253
  • Days Won:  25

21 minutes ago, Calibull said:

battle tested... and when he's not in there, you notice.  He's been playing since is Rs freshman season and is a key on guy defense.  I can see him opposite Macon... That is our best LB combination imo.  

I like Sawtelle and Macon starting. Macon brings the size and speed to drop the thunder. Sawtelle brings the veteran presence. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Let's not judge on one twitter clip.

You said it a lot more diplomatically that I was fixin to ....

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

But Sanders and Roberts are only sophomores. They are young,  why would they transfer. Out of all our DBs, 2 are seniors and like 5 are Juniors. Graduation alone will wipe out most of thier competition within 2 years. They have plenty of opportunity here. 

Ok... When CCS went to the portal, he didn't on the assumption alone that Sawtelle may or may not be back. Sawtelle is not very good. Period. The group, as a whole, was not very good, with some of it being attributed to youth. Sawtelle is slow, afraid to take on blocks and often take the wrong angle. This is a recipe for disaster.  

Sails and Burnette came here because it was a golden opportunity to play due to the really bad secondary last year. Going into Austin next year, Strong will go into the portal again to add some depth with legit athletes with ideal measurements. He has circled that game since he was fired and I be dang would he trust Sanders or Roberts for that. Keep in mind, the players he pursued or ultimately gave a chance mostly all came on the D side of the ball. No transfers came on the DL, that is a position that is shaping through development. 

Remember all the folks were talking about how good Kean and CO were going to be? They were not D1 starting material and it showed. Sawtelle is in that same boat. Sanchez was a player, but Sawtelle couldn't carry his joc and you sure don't want him in the middle when your job is on the line. There was a guy that played for Texas named Dylan Haines that help get STrong fired. He played safety and his play is very comparable to Sawtelle. I hope Charlie learned his lesson from fan favorites and it seems that he did and went and got a legit MLB.

Roberts and Sanders are better suited in 1AA, 

With the additions of Studstill, Burnette and Sails, you haven't heard anything about Hampton or Lapointe. Those two can play at this level and will contribute. CCS will use that portal to run off a few and to raise the competition. He got fired and it didn't sit too well. He has a chance to silence the critics and his strong suit is recruiting. You can get some quality P5 players that were victims to the numbers games. I am hoping he will go and get 2 running backs that will be immediately eligible. A few more pieces for the secondary and maybe one more backer and it destination Austin!!!

36 minutes ago, Calibull said:

battle tested... and when he's not in there, you notice.  He's been playing since is Rs freshman season and is a key on guy defense.  I can see him opposite Macon... That is our best LB combination imo.  

Opposing coaches run at Sawtelle because he is the easiest route to pay dirt. You have better football acumen than to suggest that guy is who you want over Grier, Boyles and anyone else who need reps. There is a legit linebacker in the middle now...let the other go run the ball carrier down. We will have help in the box with Studstill blowing things up early and we need someone who can scrape and get to the ball. Even get back into coverage and Sawtelle is not that guy!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  137
  • Days Won:  1

Your point on Sanders and Roberts could be accurate, I think Sanders can help on Special Teams.... however Mike Hampton should be starting opposite Sails and has the eye of some pro scouts. He is probably our best cover guy even with Sails, although it is probably very close. Hampton might not get a ton of picks but if QBs throw his way he will get a lot of deflections.

Just now, MDBull20 said:

Your point on Sanders and Roberts could be accurate, I think Sanders can help on Special Teams.... however Mike Hampton should be starting opposite Sails and has the eye of some pro scouts. He is probably our best cover guy even with Sails, although it is probably very close. Hampton might not get a ton of picks but if QBs throw his way he will get a lot of deflections.

I will agree, but ultimately, that room has been significantly upgraded. We have a good footprint now and I expect CCS to do it at least one more year in the portal in that room for quality depth purposes. In fact, I know he will going into Texas.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

5 hours ago, Corey lea said:

Names that you are not hearing on D.

Weren't you the one whining not that long ago about NO names coming out of camp, preemptively blaming that for lack of attendance ...? Is this observation coming from voices in your head?

• Haha 1

Just now, Triple B said:

Weren't you the one whining not that long ago about NO names coming out of camp, preemptively blaming that for lack of attendance ...? Is this observation coming from voices in your head?

Evidently you missed the context. Not to worry, I will give you insight. The topic was related to the idea that the starters from last years D are relatively silent with most of the headlines going to the transfers brought in. I said Macon will be our guy.....along with Studstill, Burnette and Sails, if eligible. It seems most of the noise out of camp is focused on secondary and LB play. Clearly those were the worst units on the field. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

44 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

Ok... When CCS went to the portal, he didn't on the assumption alone that Sawtelle may or may not be back. Sawtelle is not very good. Period. The group, as a whole, was not very good, with some of it being attributed to youth. Sawtelle is slow, afraid to take on blocks and often take the wrong angle. This is a recipe for disaster.  

Sails and Burnette came here because it was a golden opportunity to play due to the really bad secondary last year. Going into Austin next year, Strong will go into the portal again to add some depth with legit athletes with ideal measurements. He has circled that game since he was fired and I be dang would he trust Sanders or Roberts for that. Keep in mind, the players he pursued or ultimately gave a chance mostly all came on the D side of the ball. No transfers came on the DL, that is a position that is shaping through development. 

Remember all the folks were talking about how good Kean and CO were going to be? They were not D1 starting material and it showed. Sawtelle is in that same boat. 

Roberts and Sanders are better suited in 1AA

Im not the biggest Sawtelle fan, but he is productive

We have 1 DL transfer on this team from Arizona State. 

Kean is probably going 2 start for that division 1 school in Charlotte.

And Roberts and Sanders are better suited in 1-AA? As redshirt freshman this is what they did last year. Once again, they are young. We have had plenty of transfers come in and get their feelings hurt. I just dont see any reason 2 write off these 2 players as hard as you are doing. 

Sanders:

2018: Earned second team all-conference honors from Phil Steele as a kick returner...appeared in 12 games, making two starts at safety…emerged as one of the top kick returners in the nation, posting a 26.8 ypr average to rank second in The American and 13th nationally...posted 28 tackles (16 solo), 0.5 tackles for loss and a forced fumble

Roberts:

2018: Helped anchor the USF secondary in his first season of collegiate action, leading the team and finishing sixth in The American with three interceptions…appeared in all 13 games, starting the final 11 at safety…registered 72 tackles (52 solo) to finish fourth on the team…also added two tackles for lass and three pass breakups...had at least one tackle in all 13 games

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Im not the biggest Sawtelle fan, but he is productive

We have 1 DL transfer on this team from Arizona State. 

Kean is probably going 2 start for that division 1 school in Charlotte.

And Roberts and Sanders are better suited in 1-AA? As redshirt freshman this is what they did last year. Once again, they are young. We have had plenty of transfers come in and get thier feelings hurt. I just dont see any reason 2 write off these 2 players as hard as you are doing. 

Sanders:

2018: Earned second team all-conference honors from Phil Steele as a kick returner...appeared in 12 games, making two starts at safety…emerged as one of the top kick returners in the nation, posting a 26.8 ypr average to rank second in The American and 13th nationally...posted 28 tackles (16 solo), 0.5 tackles for loss and a forced fumble

Roberts:

2018: Helped anchor the USF secondary in his first season of collegiate action, leading the team and finishing sixth in The American with three interceptions…appeared in all 13 games, starting the final 11 at safety…registered 72 tackles (52 solo) to finish fourth on the team…also added two tackles for lass and three pass breakups...had at least one tackle in all 13 games

Charlotte is the worst team in FBS. Roberts and Sanders only got the opportunity to play because that room was really that bad. As for return productivity, we have enough people on the other side of the ball that would love another chance to get on the field. Lots of weapons!  Sure they can be used on special teams, but I would not won't them out there on a full time basis if I'm trying to win a championship. Sure let them play once we put a game away, but recording a tackle per game is not a good metric to use.