• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Season Prediction

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

My early prediction: 10-2 regular season, AAC East champs, Win AACCG, and win NY6 bowl ... finish the season #12-#14

Wisconsin: Toss Up ... If this was road game I would call it a loss, but I think being at home, in the Florida humidity, first game of the year before either team really has gelled as a team.  It will be a barn-burner, for sure. Taylor gets 200+ on the ground and 4 TDs.  Barnett throws for 300 yards and 4 TDS.  USF wins the turnover battle by +1... but is all of that enough?

Ga Tech: Win ... The Rambling 'Reck is more like the Ambling Ack at the moment... new coach and new offense built with the tools used in the triple option... it will take time for them to figure it all out.

SC State: Win ... 'Nuff said.

SMU: Win ... Yes, the Mustangs are getting better... but this is in Tampa and they have played 5 straight, and are coming off a game against cross-town rival TCU.  This may not be an easy victory for USF, but I think this team can pull it off.

Connecticut: Win ... 'Nuff said.

BYU: Win... Homecoming against the Cougars.  I think USF can pull this one off as well... it will be a good test to see how the team is doing mid-way through the season... and barring a rash of injuries, by this point the new offense should be hitting its stride.

Navy:  Win... Like SMU, the boys in blue are rebuilding well.  Another year and this could be a really difficult game.  Yes, they will eat us up on the ground, so turnovers will be critical.  Expect BB & company to air it out well.

ECU: Win... A visit to the rebuilding Pirates is will keep the streak alive.

Temple: Win... If this was on the road, it would be a toss up.  The Owls are still rebuilding, and the Bulls have 10 days to prepare for a bit Thursday nighter at home.

Cincinnati: Toss up... Love the game is at home, otherwise I would put this in the loss column.  A lot of people are picking Cincy to do well, and at this point I am unconvinced.  Sure their turnaround from '17 to '18 was impressive, but growth is not always linear.

Memphis: Toss up... Another home game that would likely be a road loss to one of two AAC West contenders... This is also a very big "trap" game.  Given it's the week before UCF... Plus the week before Thanksgiving attendance can be an issue.

UCF: Toss up... If this game was in Tampa, I think USF would win.  UCF is not going to be as good as they were last year... a step back because of their QB situation and loss of some really great players to the NFL/graduation.  Could be like the '17 game - first to 50 wins.

So I have 8 games I think are in the win column, albeit some will be closer than others... and 4 games that I think are toss-ups.  I don't think any game on the schedule is a definite loss, so the season could be anywhere from 8-4 to 12-0, although going undefeated is HARD.  So I split the difference in my prediction: 10-2.

The Cincy game could be for all the marbles in the AAC East.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

28 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

My early prediction: 10-2 regular season, AAC East champs, Win AACCG, and win NY6 bowl ... finish the season #12-#14

Wisconsin: Toss Up ... If this was road game I would call it a loss, but I think being at home, in the Florida humidity, first game of the year before either team really has gelled as a team.  It will be a barn-burner, for sure. Taylor gets 200+ on the ground and 4 TDs.  Barnett throws for 300 yards and 4 TDS.  USF wins the turnover battle by +1... but is all of that enough?

Ga Tech: Win ... The Rambling 'Reck is more like the Ambling Ack at the moment... new coach and new offense built with the tools used in the triple option... it will take time for them to figure it all out.

SMU: Win ... Yes, the Mustangs are getting better... but this is in Tampa and they have played 5 straight, and are coming off a game against cross-town rival TCU.  This may not be an easy victory for USF, but I think this team can pull it off.

BYU: Win... Homecoming against the Cougars.  I think USF can pull this one off as well... it will be a good test to see how the team is doing mid-way through the season... and barring a rash of injuries, by this point the new offense should be hitting its stride.

Navy:  Win... Like SMU, the boys in blue are rebuilding well.  Another year and this could be a really difficult game.  Yes, they will eat us up on the ground, so turnovers will be critical.  Expect BB & company to air it out well.

Temple: Win... If this was on the road, it would be a toss up.  The Owls are still rebuilding, and the Bulls have 10 days to prepare for a bit Thursday nighter at home.

Cincinnati: Toss up... Love the game is at home, otherwise I would put this in the loss column.  A lot of people are picking Cincy to do well, and at this point I am unconvinced.  Sure their turnaround from '17 to '18 was impressive, but growth is not always linear.

Memphis: Toss up... Another home game that would likely be a road loss to one of two AAC West contenders... This is also a very big "trap" game.  Given it's the week before UCF... Plus the week before Thanksgiving attendance can be an issue.

UCF: Toss up... If this game was in Tampa, I think USF would win.  UCF is not going to be as good as they were last year... a step back because of their QB situation and loss of some really great players to the NFL/graduation.  Could be like the '17 game - first to 50 wins.

So I have 8 games I think are in the win column, albeit some will be closer than others... and 4 games that I think are toss-ups.  I don't think any game on the schedule is a definite loss, so the season could be anywhere from 8-4 to 12-0, although going undefeated is HARD.  So I split the difference in my prediction: 10-2.

Always love your optimism Jim.  I’ll be in town for Wisconsin.  We shall see.

Take care and Go Bulls!

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

I like your post.  I think its mostly spot on.

I like all of our perceived toughest games that we are play are at home with the exception of ucf.....i see one more close loss than you do.  So Ill go 9-3.

Interesting scenario.....what happens if we beat Cincy, lose to ucf.....and Cincy beats ucf.  Who wins the division (assumption these are the 3 top teams)?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

14 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Interesting scenario.....what happens if we beat Cincy, lose to ucf.....and Cincy beats ucf.  Who wins the division (assumption these are the 3 top teams)?

2018_Tiebreaker_Policies.pdf

Best I can do is provide you the tirebreaker policy from last season.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I like your interpretation.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Beat the U of Mickey Rat and I will be happy. Conference Championship or bust

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

7-5, but +/- 2.  The D is my biggest unknown/concern...though I'm really hopeful some transfers step up in areas of needs.  I worry we have a drop off if Barnett gets hurt, but looks like he's bulked up a bit, and i'm hopeful the coaches will not put him in harm's way too much.

Much depends on health...I'm really looking forward to seeing Horne back at 100%, or even close.  He's a game changer.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

8-4 with losses to Wisconsin, Temple, Memphis, and Cinci. Temple and UCF could go either way.

I hope I'm proven wrong week 1 on our way to a magical run. 🤞 🤘