• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What we have lost as a fan base

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  1

37 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

This thread is all your fault.  Keep your thoughts to yourself.  But you did manage to get every argument boiled down to one topic.  So :guinness:

Seems like some blood is boiling before the season begins. Ready to come out and burn the house down!!! Let's Go BULLS!!!

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, Nick Carroll said:

Dont forget buy every news paper possible 

Do like we did when the Bucs beat the Eagles. Everybody get the flags and banners out, pack a cooler, and head to USF for an impromptu celebration.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

36 minutes ago, Nick Carroll said:

Dont forget buy every news paper possible 

What’s a news paper?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

I hate to :icon_deadhorse:  but, IMO, it's not about winning the big name game. I think over the years we have done a good job of that. BUT! It's about winning THE game. The one where we have built some excitement, casual fans begin showing up, media is talking, etc. Historically we have 💩 the bed in THAT game. Maybe this is the year...

Well, there is no BE. That ship has sailed, or sunk, so until there is a better option a few AAC trophies will be awesome!

And just for arguments sake, I give you SMU and Tulane. They both have trophies.

GO BULLS!

I was on the fence about how important winning a conference championship for a conference no one cares about would be for our program but now that I think about all it’s done for SMU and Tulane’s programs I am completely sold.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

23 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I was on the fence about how important winning a conference championship for a conference no one cares about would be for our program but now that I think about all it’s done for SMU and Tulane’s programs I am completely sold.

SMU is the worst possible example you could cite. They were on their way to big things until the death penalty derailed the Pony Express. Their conference championships were legit. They should have won the national title. On second thought, maybe it was the perfect example to cite. Their story is similar to our program's fortune. We were building something, then a scandal choked the life out of our program. The subsequent failure of Skippy was a slap in the face. Time that with the collapse of the Big East and the decline in attendance nationwide, and we see what a tremendous setback a scandal and poor timing can cause. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

SMU is the worst possible example you could cite. They were on their way to big things until the death penalty derailed the Pony Express. Their conference championships were legit. They should have won the national title. On second thought, maybe it was the perfect example to cite. Their story is similar to our program's fortune. We were building something, then a scandal choked the life out of our program. The subsequent failure of Skippy was a slap in the face. Time that with the collapse of the Big East and the decline in attendance nationwide, and we see what a tremendous setback a scandal and poor timing can cause. 

But trophies are forever and the silver bullet for any program, maybe if they had brought them in to the B12 meeting it would have been that little "extra" that is the difference between ordinary and extraordinary. Either that or no one gives a **** about conference championship trophies especially not ones from the minor leagues and the excitement they generate has a shelf life that is shorter than a loaf of bread. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

But trophies are forever and the silver bullet for any program, maybe if they had brought them in to the B12 meeting it would have been that little "extra" that is the difference between ordinary and extraordinary. Either that or no one gives a **** about conference championship trophies especially not ones from the minor leagues and the excitement they generate has a shelf life that is shorter than a loaf of bread. 

Conference championships in the G5 are interesting. The big boys and ESPN aren't going to give you credit for winning them but they will also use not winning it as a piece of evidence to denigrate the program. You win it and "Big deal, you won the AAC", you don't win it and "You can't even win the AAC, how could you compete in the P5".

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Trophies create memories for the fan base. Trophies prompt donors to cut bigger checks. Trophies get people to throw down for season tickets. Trophies increase national attention. Trophies improve recruiting (when combined with the right coaching staff). You cannot directly tie trophies to expansion (Rutgers), but all of the other factors I listed would improve. If you only look for the cause and effect of winning a conference championship and moving up into the P5, then yes, you will be disappointed. For the vast majority of USF's fan base (including the casual ones) an AAC title would mean substantially more than it would to you. 

Edited by BullyPulpit
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Nick Carroll said:

Exactly. We can talk about the team from the CJL days but that was a decade ago. People are hung up on the one week we were in the top 10 but that was 12 years ago. Live in the now. 

This is what I am talking about 🤘

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Trophies create memories for the fan base. Trophies prompt donors to cut bigger checks. Trophies get people to throw down for season tickets. Trophies increase national attention. Trophies improve recruiting (when combined with the right coaching staff). You cannot directly tie trophies to expansion (Rutgers), but all of the other factors I listed would improve. If you only look for the cause and effect of winning a conference championship and moving up into the P5, then yes, you will be disappointed. For the vast majority of USF's fan base (including the casual ones) an AAC title would mean substantially more than it would to you. 

Preach it brother 🤘

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

Image result for i'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there GIF

I have never met a person IRL that has ever expressed any interest in the AAC championship, not one person has ever discussed who won it, would know who has or has not won it in a given year and I do not think outside of a few people on the internet anyone knows or is concerned about our conference championship wins. There is no way winning the AAC will inspire anyone to buy a season ticket and should we host the game I would put the over under on attendance at 20k people. No one wants to see us play SMU, Tulane and Tulsa once much less twice and I do not think just adding a trophy to something and labeling it important somehow makes it so. If it does lets just Civil Conflict everything and slap a trophy on the game. A conference championship would just be lipstick on the pig that is the AAC, win it, lose it, be middle of the pact and either way you lose, why? Because you are in the AAC. If we win and get to a NY6 game it will be exciting and generate fan buzz, win the NY6 and there will be even more but win an AAC game and get to spin the same wheel of ****** AAC bowls that every other team in the AAC with a winning record does and all that will happen is further cementing the feelings of this conference and the doom it has bestowed upon us.