• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Trevon Sands spurns portal, stays course for USF

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

image.thumb.png.c5fbfef0a392ad581f8f407d8c3b7883.png

By Ryan Kolakowski
Published Yesterday

TAMPA ― Tailback Trevon Sands hasn’t had the straightforward career he once envisioned at USF.

He never has reached the depth chart’s top rung, toiling behind 1,000-yard rushers Marlon Mack and Jordan Cronkrite, among others. He committed to USF under former coach Willie Taggart, and stuck with the Bulls when Taggart departed for Oregon after the 2016 season.

He enters his final season with 180 yards on 45 attempts, and more offensive coordinators (three) than career starts (two).

Despite the regular change, Sands remained in Tampa.

“It’s my brothers,” Sands said. “I will never leave my team. They kept me here.”

In the era of the transfer portal, it seems easier than ever for student-athletes to make the leap to a new campus. Look no further than the Bulls’ transfer-laden roster.

Sands never considered leaving the Bulls. Instead, he turned his attention to his teammates and their work on the field.

“I’m here because of them,” Sands said of his teammates. “I won’t regret anything.”

The former three-star recruit, and once-quiet running back, is actively welcoming new teammates as he enters his senior season. He is more vocal in practice, working to encourage the young players who will see the field this season.

“Leadership comes with time, it’s not something that’s given to you,” said quarterback Blake Barnett, himself a graduate transfer. “I think [Trevon’s] doing a great job. He’s a guy that’s been here for a good amount of time, and the team really respects him.”

This year, USF’s running back room features Cronkrite, Sands, junior Odunayo Seriki Jr., sophomore Dave Small, freshman Josh Berry and sophomore Johnny Ford (when not aligned in the slot). Sands, who views himself as a power back, added 20 pounds with strength training and a new diet this offseason to become the heaviest tailback on the roster.

“What’s special about this group is that, if you take one out, there’s no falloff,” said Sands, listed at 5-foot-11, 221 pounds. “Everyone’s ready to work.”

His role as a vocal leader, vision for team unity and offseason preparation has him feeling excited for the upcoming season.

Rest of article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  6,459
  • Days Won:  28

I like that we still have a bruiser back on this squad. I hope they use him this season

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Neat

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I like that we still have a bruiser back on this squad. I hope they use him this season

1 hour ago, Skingraft said:

Neat

Maybe we can install a FB dive play.  Catch them off guard this year.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Goal line back for sure

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,810
  • Days Won:  67

16 minutes ago, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

Always liked Sands. I think he can be a valuable piece to the offense this year.

Great special teams, big heart, athletic and tough however lacks vision and patience at RB.  I like him too but he does not possess the patience to wait for a play to develop, regardless he is still important and valuable to us this year and a good back to put his head down and get us the yards we need.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,325
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, TakeItOrLeavitt said:

Always liked Sands. I think he can be a valuable piece to the offense this year.

Like you said , stay patient and who knows what’s in store for him.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

This was the most refreshing, and my favorite, part ....

Sands never considered leaving the Bulls. Instead, he turned his attention to his teammates and their work on the field.

“I’m here because of them,” Sands said of his teammates. “I won’t regret anything.”

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Days Won:  2

He ran well in Spring game...unfortunately for him Ford and Cronkite will get more touches. Hopefully the team has big leads and we can pound teams with him in the 4th.