• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joey reports on tackling

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I wonder if that RB from Wisconsin is reading Joeys are article and chuckles to himself? This defense better be able to tackle in a few weeks...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

We typically got 4-5 shots to tackle someone and made sure we used them all..

That's the way I remember it too. Sure we made tackles but when it mattered if we did not the big play we missed the easy tackles. CJL teams always seemed to live and die by the big play which was the blessing and the curse. We were exciting and it was fun when we made the big plays but if we were relying on fundamentals I would not bet on us. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We're going to find out real quick about how much or little the tackling has improved. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

I am a huge CJL mark and I remember always being frustrated with our inability to make fundamental open field tackles in key situations. Typically we liked to lay the wood on someone or try for the pick 6 to make Sportscenter but no one would wrap anyone up to save their life and it wasn't until the 5th man in we would take someone down if it got to the point where are big play antics didn't work. That's why up the gut running was always effective against us, we would get to the guy no problem but just making a standard tackle seemed unfathomable to us. 

I wonder how much of that can be attributed to strength, or lack of?

I know outside it was a lot of bad angles. Trying for arm tackles. 

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I can remember at least one or 2 missed tackles that resulted in losses.  

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  167
  • Days Won:  0

If you get a chance go to utube and rewatch the Auburn or WV games. Our defense was unbelievable.

If I want to watch offence, I go to the Flowers,Adams,Mack Cinci game.

If I want to enjoy defense, I watch either the Auburn game or the first FSU game. Those 4 downs from the 3 yard line on 2 different occasions were pretty good. 

26 minutes ago, keith S said:

If you get a chance go to utube and rewatch the Auburn or WV games. Our defense was unbelievable.

If I want to watch offence, I go to the Flowers,Adams,Mack Cinci game.

If I want to enjoy defense, I watch either the Auburn game or the first FSU game. Those 4 downs from the 3 yard line on 2 different occasions were pretty good. 

The auburn game speaks exactly to what I’m talking about we forced some amazing turnovers; when we didn’t they typically scored.

7 hours ago, BDYZR said:

I wonder how much of that can be attributed to strength, or lack of?

I know outside it was a lot of bad angles. Trying for arm tackles. 

I think most of the problem is we typically lacked any depth to who we were then playing and most of our recruits were passed over by the larger programs for some reason. Typically we errored towards speed and athletic projects over people that were more fundamentally sound since we couldn’t get both in the same person very often. Also CJL was a fiery guy and the team followed his emotions which was awesome when we were on but could get us in trouble and out of position when we weren’t.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

15 hours ago, puc86 said:

I think most of the problem is we typically lacked any depth to who we were then playing and most of our recruits were passed over by the larger programs for some reason. Typically we errored towards speed and athletic projects over people that were more fundamentally sound since we couldn’t get both in the same person very often. Also CJL was a fiery guy and the team followed his emotions which was awesome when we were on but could get us in trouble and out of position when we weren’t.

Puc, are you okay? This was such a well balanced post. Veered way to close to reality 

11 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Puc, are you okay? This was such a well balanced post. Veered way to close to reality 

I have my moments