• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joey reports on tackling

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

USF defensive coordinator: tackling greatly improved

Brian-Jean Mary says his unit’s tackling is “probably the best thing we’ve done so far in camp.”

Published August 7

"I think our run defense is sounder than it was last year. Guys understand where they need to be and they’re straining to get there, and I think our tackling has been probably the best thing we’ve done so far in camp.

“I know we struggled, we missed tackles last year, and we haven’t been in a scrimmage yet ... but I really believe we’re gonna tackle a lot better than we did last year.”

But Jean-Mary indicated Wednesday that he believes his unit possesses more “quality depth” at every level. That includes linebacker, where safety Khalid McGee and defensive end Greg Reaves had to play out of necessity for all or parts of last season.

More

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

We have always struggled on tackling, even when are defense was good it always seemed way better at the big hit, big interception, big fumble, and big sack. If we solved the fundamentals of tackling it would be a minor miracle and what I believe a huge difference maker for our team.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

23 minutes ago, puc86 said:

We have always struggled on tackling, even when are defense was good it always seemed way better at the big hit, big interception, big fumble, and big sack. If we solved the fundamentals of tackling it would be a minor miracle and what I believe a huge difference maker for our team.

AMEN!

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Believe it when I see it. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I don't remember us having much of an issue tackling in the mature Leavitt/Wally Burnham era. That was always one of Leavitt's mantras. For a while we were becoming the new DB U. But, its been a while since we had a decent DC. Not optimistic there will be a sudden 180 degree change, though hopeful for improvement - the only way is up from last year... 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

21 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

I don't remember us having much of an issue tackling in the mature Leavitt/Wally Burnham era. That was always one of Leavitt's mantras. For a while we were becoming the new DB U. But, its been a while since we had a decent DC. Not optimistic there will be a sudden 180 degree change, though hopeful for improvement - the only way is up from last year... 

I think this is the best way to approach it. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a 180 degree change for any unit on any team across the country. Only so much can change in 12 months. With that being said, I think it’s realistic to expect us to be closer to the 2017 team defensively (50th-ish ranked) with significant improvements offensively by seasons end. This should result in a much improved team....as long as ST’s don’t trend toward 2017 levels

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

33 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

I am a huge CJL mark and I remember always being frustrated with our inability to make fundamental open field tackles in key situations. Typically we liked to lay the wood on someone or try for the pick 6 to make Sportscenter but no one would wrap anyone up to save their life and it wasn't until the 5th man in we would take someone down if it got to the point where are big play antics didn't work. That's why up the gut running was always effective against us, we would get to the guy no problem but just making a standard tackle seemed unfathomable to us. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

Tackling will need to be there for the first game :)

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

44 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

I think this is the best way to approach it. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a 180 degree change for any unit on any team across the country. Only so much can change in 12 months. With that being said, I think it’s realistic to expect us to be closer to the 2017 team defensively (50th-ish ranked) with significant improvements offensively by seasons end. This should result in a much improved team....as long as ST’s don’t trend toward 2017 levels

If we are in the 50s in defense and this offense is as great as it’s being projected then the elusive conference championship is a possibility...but that is a lot of “ifs” 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

We typically got 4-5 shots to tackle someone and made sure we used them all..

• Haha 1