• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ICYMI: Bulls Fly Around in Full Pads for First Time this Fall

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Bulls Fly Around in Full Pads for First Time This Fall

BULLS FLY AROUND IN FULL PADS FOR FIRST TIME THIS FALL

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, AUG. 6, 2019 – USF took a loud step toward the season opener by putting on full pads for the first time this fall and going full speed ahead in the fifth practice of camp Tuesday morning.

"The 3-on-3 drills are probably one of our most competitive drills. We were going back and forth. Guys were going at it," said senior defensive end Greg Reaves (Bradenton, Fla.). "We had a little circle drill, which was pretty fun. It was guys going 1-on-1, man-on-man."

Despite the sun scorching the Morsani Complex for most of practice and real feel temperatures reaching the 100's, there didn't seem to be a dip in intensity on both sides of the ball. And with each huge hit during drills, coaches were quick to reward USF's efforts with loud ovations.

33108"I know we've still got some weeks before we get to that first game, but you just like the way they've been working," head coach Charlie Strong said.

Full pads or not, Strong noted every practice so far this fall has been physical, which is a credit to the Bulls for the offseason work they put in to get to this point.

"Everybody bought in and now we're coming out here and seeing the results of it," said senior receiver Stanley Clerveaux (North Miami, Fla.).

Bulls Gearing Up for Big-Time Opponent
USF knows there's no time to waste on the practice field or in the film room with a game against a marquee opponent on the horizon.

Raymond James Stadium should be rocking when the Bulls open the season in primetime against Big Ten foe Wisconsin on Friday, Aug. 30. The first meeting between the programs since 2014 is set for a 7 p.m. start and will be televised nationally on ESPN. 

33105"It's what we signed up for," said starting senior quarterback Blake Barnett (Corona, Calif.). "We want those opportunities to prove what kind of team we can be and that we are."

Success in the most anticipated season opener at home in program history would certainly earn the Bulls some national prestige. Wisconsin is tied for 17th in the preseason Coaches Poll and is USF's highest-ranked opponent in a season opener since the Bulls defeated No. 16 Notre Dame on the road in 2011.

"I'm ready to show out for that game," said senior tight end Mitchell Wilcox (Tarpon Springs, Fla.). "All of us are."

Reserve your seats for USF-Wisconsin online at USFBullsTix.com or by calling 1-800-Go-Bulls.  

Reaves Likes Living on the Edge
Greg Reaves made a name for himself as a Bull by going from a walk-on to a disruptive defensive end/outside linebacker who led the team with 14.0 tackles for loss in 2017.

33106Last season, the Bradenton, Fla., native had to switch from the role he "fell in love with" to middle linebacker due to USF's injuries and lack of depth at the position.

Although he produced a solid average of 9.4 tackles per game in seven starts at middle linebacker, Reaves is happy to be back on the edge this fall.

"I've been there for three years, I know that position," he said. "I know the ins and outs, kind of like the back of my hand. It's awesome."

Bulls in Better Shape at Linebacker
Greg Reaves is happily making a return to his edge position on the defense thanks in part to USF getting proven and healthy senior Nico Sawtelle (Jensen Beach, Fla.) back at middle linebacker.

"You miss a player when they make a lot of plays for you," head coach Charlie Strong said. "When you ..

Rest of Story