• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Tyler Berrong OLB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

8 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Your point is well taken, but that was a different time and place for us. Only 7-8 years ago, but it might as well be a century. Losing that "BCS" designation, Holtz not fitting in with the culture here, and the furthering of the chasm between the haves and the have nots make it apples and oranges to today's landscape. CCS is definitely improving our recruiting on paper, but we are nowhere near where we were when we were in the Big East. I am sure a lot of that has to do with flaws in the star ranking system, but that is for another argument. 

Here is some perspective: With his current composite rating, Berrong would have been the highest rated Bull in the 2019 (by a large margin), 2018, 2017, and 2015 classes. In 2016 he would have been the 2nd highest. In 2013 and 2014 he would have been the 3rd highest. So, since 2013 (7 Recruiting Classes), we have had 5 players with a higher ranking than this young man. He is currently our second highest rated commit for 2020.  For the 7 year period from 2006 to 2012, he would be the 17th highest rated recruit, so you can see just how significantly the ranking of our commits have fallen off in the last 7 years from the previous 7. 

In 2012 (our last stellar recruiting year by "star" ratings) he would have been the 5th highest rated kid in that class. Also, if you look at that class deeper, it was not filled with top 700 National H.S. kids. Most of the guys that were "top 40" at their position were top 40 at their JUCO position, which is not remotely comparable.  

I get all of that, but none of it ever made me think there was “no way” we could sign a kid of this caliber.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, JTrue said:

I get all of that, but none of it ever made me think there was “no way” we could sign a kid of this caliber.

"No way" is definitely an overstatement, but we haven't been averaging signing even 1 guy with his star ranking over the past 7 classes. Getting guys like him is a definite sign that our recruiting with CCS is back on the upswing. 

23 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

"No way" is definitely an overstatement, but we haven't been averaging signing even 1 guy with his star ranking over the past 7 classes. Getting guys like him is a definite sign that our recruiting with CCS is back on the upswing. 

Which is also a funny statement considering how much people were all over xCWT's jock for his recruiting prowess.

• Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  6,459
  • Days Won:  28

6 hours ago, JTrue said:

As I said, I'm more than happy to have him. But I hope our expectations aren't so low these days that we consider it some sort of minor miracle that CCS can pull one of the top 1000 players in the country. Wasn't long ago Skip Holtz was getting buried for pulling in a class full of kids in the top 40 at their position. In 2012, 13 of the 18 kids signed fit the bill. 

Holtz was in a BCS conference. You cant compare. And this recruit had 19 offers. UF, GT, WVU, Wake, Pitt, Minnesota, Scott Frost's Nebraska, North Carolina, Missouri....are his other offers. Nobody's standards are low, there was a lot of competition. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,325
  • Days Won:  5

18 hours ago, JTrue said:

As I said, I'm more than happy to have him. But I hope our expectations aren't so low these days that we consider it some sort of minor miracle that CCS can pull one of the top 1000 players in the country. Wasn't long ago Skip Holtz was getting buried for pulling in a class full of kids in the top 40 at their position. In 2012, 13 of the 18 kids signed fit the bill. 

Stop right there. Skip never got a top 150 State of Florida recruit in his short term here. I asked him why during a call in show and he said blah blah blah.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jchem1995 said:

Stop right there. Skip never got a top 150 State of Florida recruit in his short term here. I asked him why during a call in show and he said blah blah blah.

I'm eagerly waiting to see who takes the bait on this comment.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

21 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Your point is well taken, but that was a different time and place for us. Only 7-8 years ago, but it might as well be a century. Losing that "BCS" designation, Holtz not fitting in with the culture here, and the furthering of the chasm between the haves and the have nots make it apples and oranges to today's landscape. CCS is definitely improving our recruiting on paper, but we are nowhere near where we were when we were in the Big East. I am sure a lot of that has to do with flaws in the star ranking system, but that is for another argument. 

Here is some perspective: With his current composite rating, Berrong would have been the highest rated Bull in the 2019 (by a large margin), 2018, 2017, and 2015 classes. In 2016 he would have been the 2nd highest. In 2013 and 2014 he would have been the 3rd highest. So, since 2013 (7 Recruiting Classes), we have had 5 players with a higher ranking than this young man. He is currently our second highest rated commit for 2020.  For the 7 year period from 2006 to 2012, he would be the 17th highest rated recruit, so you can see just how significantly the ranking of our commits have fallen off in the last 7 years from the previous 7. 

In 2012 (our last stellar recruiting year by "star" ratings) he would have been the 5th highest rated kid in that class. Also, if you look at that class deeper, it was not filled with top 700 National H.S. kids. Most of the guys that were "top 40" at their position were top 40 at their JUCO position, which is not remotely comparable.  

The only thing is they changed the way the rankings were given since then.  They adjusted so that there were not so many 4 star recruits and the services use a different metric.  So it's not really a fair comparison... some of the guys then would not have been ranked as high today.  But I get your point... and don't disagree with it completely. 

I'll also say back in the day... not a lot of guys stayed home to play at USF.  We did not recruit local well at all.  Normally these guys were gone to other schools... I think that is a big deal.  We're keeping and getting back a lot of local guys who gave zero f's about the Big East.  The still weren't coming to USF.  That changed under Taggart. 

Edited by Calibull

I do give Taggart credit for that Bay Made Bay stayed bay played.  That has caught on.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

36 minutes ago, Calibull said:

The only thing is they changed the way the rankings were given since then.  They adjusted so that there were not so many 4 star recruits and the services use a different metric.  So it's not really a fair comparison... some of the guys then would not have been ranked as high today.  But I get your point... and don't disagree with it completely. 

I'll also say back in the day... not a lot of guys stayed home to play at USF.  We did not recruit local well at all.  Normally these guys were gone to other schools... I think that is a big deal.  We're keeping and getting back a lot of local guys who gave zero f's about the Big East.  The still weren't coming to USF.  That changed under Taggart. 

I wasn't going by star rankings, I was going by the 247 composite rankings. It seemed to be the most consistent measure. The numbers seemed fairly consistent across my analysis. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

I wasn't going by star rankings, I was going by the 247 composite rankings. It seemed to be the most consistent measure. The numbers seemed fairly consistent across my analysis. 

I tend to favor rivals rankings.  But honestly it's somewhat arbitrary...  I love this kids instincts and athletic ability .  He plays fast.