• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tyler Berrong OLB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,513
  • Days Won:  28

50 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I didnt think we could pull it off. Nice! 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I didnt think we could pull it off. Nice! 

I’m more than happy to have him, but what made you think we couldn’t get the 713th best player in the country?

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,513
  • Days Won:  28

28 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I’m more than happy to have him, but what made you think we couldn’t get the 713th best player in the 

You are right. I gotta give us more credit. 

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

He's listed as a top 100 in the state. That is always a great get!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

13 hours ago, JTrue said:

I’m more than happy to have him, but what made you think we couldn’t get the 713th best player in the country?

Probably just the caliber of some of the other schools that had offered. We don't have to win the battle for all of the guys like this, but getting a few that "bigger" programs were after as well is always a good thing. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Probably just the caliber of some of the other schools that had offered. We don't have to win the battle for all of the guys like this, but getting a few that "bigger" programs were after as well is always a good thing. 

considering the many thousands of high school football players going on to play college ball on some level... I'd say grabbing the 713th player is pretty **** good.  kid can ball.  Has nothing to do with the fact he chose us over Nebraska, Pitt, NC, etc... he can flat out ball.  He's an impact player.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 minutes ago, Calibull said:

considering the many thousands of high school football players going on to play college ball on some level... I'd say grabbing the 713th player is pretty **** good.  kid can ball.  Has nothing to do with the fact he chose us over Nebraska, Pitt, NC, etc... he can flat out ball.  He's an impact player.

As I said, I'm more than happy to have him. But I hope our expectations aren't so low these days that we consider it some sort of minor miracle that CCS can pull one of the top 1000 players in the country. Wasn't long ago Skip Holtz was getting buried for pulling in a class full of kids in the top 40 at their position. In 2012, 13 of the 18 kids signed fit the bill. 

35 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I wasn't questioning his ability at all. Clearly, he is a great athlete and will hopefully transition well from high school to college. 

42 minutes ago, JTrue said:

As I said, I'm more than happy to have him. But I hope our expectations aren't so low these days that we consider it some sort of minor miracle that CCS can pull one of the top 1000 players in the country. Wasn't long ago Skip Holtz was getting buried for pulling in a class full of kids in the top 40 at their position. In 2012, 13 of the 18 kids signed fit the bill. 

Your point is well taken, but that was a different time and place for us. Only 7-8 years ago, but it might as well be a century. Losing that "BCS" designation, Holtz not fitting in with the culture here, and the furthering of the chasm between the haves and the have nots make it apples and oranges to today's landscape. CCS is definitely improving our recruiting on paper, but we are nowhere near where we were when we were in the Big East. I am sure a lot of that has to do with flaws in the star ranking system, but that is for another argument. 

Here is some perspective: With his current composite rating, Berrong would have been the highest rated Bull in the 2019 (by a large margin), 2018, 2017, and 2015 classes. In 2016 he would have been the 2nd highest. In 2013 and 2014 he would have been the 3rd highest. So, since 2013 (7 Recruiting Classes), we have had 5 players with a higher ranking than this young man. He is currently our second highest rated commit for 2020.  For the 7 year period from 2006 to 2012, he would be the 17th highest rated recruit, so you can see just how significantly the ranking of our commits have fallen off in the last 7 years from the previous 7. 

In 2012 (our last stellar recruiting year by "star" ratings) he would have been the 5th highest rated kid in that class. Also, if you look at that class deeper, it was not filled with top 700 National H.S. kids. Most of the guys that were "top 40" at their position were top 40 at their JUCO position, which is not remotely comparable.  

• Upvote 1