• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Phil Steele setting the stage

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

Twitter link goes to pay material.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Gulp!......  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  6

I am very excited for the season to start on 8/30, but I am also looking forward to getting that first game over with and hope that damage from Taylor is not too bad.   I think 9/7 in Atlanta, we will really be able to tell alot about this team and this coaching staff, and to me that is when the real season starts.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,320
  • Days Won:  10

I'm not ready to call Wisconsin a gimme.  I don't know what we will field this year but I have seen the Bulls upset some big programs and I'm always ready for it to happen again.  I think Charlie is putting together a staff that could make it happen. It ain't a loss yet.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,467
  • Days Won:  13

The Wisconsin game could be a bit of a shootout, if the offense can click under the new scheme from Coach Bell.  

And to be honest, Wisky is replacing 80% of it's starting OL... although their replacements will still outsize our smaller DL... stuffing Taylor and forcing their brand new QB to throw will obviously be the key.  Heck, I'd play eight or nine in the box all day and let our DBs defend passes.  They will get yards and score, but not every pass will be completed... and it's better than letting Taylor get 7 yards per carry.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

1 minute ago, Jim Johnson said:

The Wisconsin game could be a bit of a shootout, if the offense can click under the new scheme from Coach Bell.  

And to be honest, Wisky is replacing 80% of it's starting OL... although their replacements will still outsize our smaller DL... stuffing Taylor and forcing their brand new QB to throw will obviously be the key.  Heck, I'd play eight or nine in the box all day and let our DBs defend passes.  They will get yards and score, but not every pass will be completed... and it's better than letting Taylor get 7 yards per carry.

And they got playing time last year according to a Wisc fan I met.  This one won't be close.

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

And they got playing time last year according to a Wisc fan I met.  This one won't be close.

Uh... not according to this article from their hometown paper.  

https://madison.com/sports/college/football/wisconsin-badgers-position-battles-preview----offensive-guard/article_04e7757a-24de-5ff7-b036-9fdbf3ac3122.html

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Just a quick read of it sounds like they're only worried about 1 guard position.  I hope they aren't any good but I'm guessing they matriculate the ball down the field (homage to Keith Jackson) with the running game.

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Just a quick read of it sounds like they're only worried about 1 guard position.  I hope they aren't any good but I'm guessing they matriculate the ball down the field (homage to Keith Jackson) with the running game.

Yes... but the analysis talks about players who, while have the potential to be good to great, are limited in experience.  Heck, one of their leading contenders started on the DL last year.

This will be the very first game for a rebuilt OL with four brand new starters... they will miss blocks, they will commit penalties... Taylor is good enough to make something out of nothing, but if USF plays run first on every down, make the new QB (whomever that is) throw... I feel like that would be a better gameplan, especially early in the contest.

1 minute ago, Jim Johnson said:

Yes... but the analysis talks about players who, while have the potential to be good to great, are limited in experience.  Heck, one of their leading contenders started on the DL last year.

This will be the very first game for a rebuilt OL with four brand new starters... they will miss blocks, they will commit penalties... Taylor is good enough to make something out of nothing, but if USF plays run first on every down, make the new QB (whomever that is) throw... I feel like that would be a better gameplan, especially early in the contest.

Hope you're right.

• Like 1