• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC Bowl Games...where do we go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, 206BULL said:

Haven't been to Fenway since the opening series in 03, would definitely go back for a bowl game. I have to settle for MLB.tv and maybe a trip to LA when they're in town for my Sox fix. The Last 3 years I've settled for 1 Rams home game a season over hitting a Sox game though... If you were somehow also a Clippers fan I'd be worried you were copying my sports teams lol.

As far as Bowls I'd want USF in I'm selfishly pulling for New Mexico or a week in Hawaii though. Unless we can get an at large in Vegas like Houston did a couple years back.

I am thinking about flying out to LA for the Rams vs Cards game as I really want to see the  Colosseum and the Rams playing in it before the move next year. 

I don’t blame you at all to be cheering for New Mexico and Hawaii Bowls. I still want the Bulls in the Military Bowl before the Boston Bowl but I am good either way. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

The American Athletic Conference doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowl matchups are based on best possible games and geography.  Payouts are in BOLD

– Jared Birmingham Bowl vs. SEC - $1,650,000
– Bad Boy Mowers Gasparillia Bowl vs. Conference USA - $1,133,735
– Hawaii Bowl vs. BYU or Mountain West - $1,000,000
– Military Bowl presented by Northrup Grumman vs. ACC - $2,066,990
– Cheribundi Tart Cherry Bowl vs. Conference USA - $1,000,000
– AutoNation Cure Bowl vs. Sun Belt - $751,115
– Frisco Bowl vs. At-Large - $750,000

The American Athletic has secondary partnerships with the AutoZone Liberty($4,294,681) and Walk-On’s Independence($1,248,280), to fill if the main affiliations can’t fill their slots.

So with the payout possibilities I would hope for the Liberty followed by the Military and, God forbid, the Birmingham. Hawaii and Frisco, while being good road trips, would probably break the bank, right?

MAYBE;

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2017/9/20/revenue-distribution.aspx

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

23 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

The American Athletic Conference doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowl matchups are based on best possible games and geography.  Payouts are in BOLD

– Jared Birmingham Bowl vs. SEC - $1,650,000
– Bad Boy Mowers Gasparillia Bowl vs. Conference USA - $1,133,735
– Hawaii Bowl vs. BYU or Mountain West - $1,000,000
– Military Bowl presented by Northrup Grumman vs. ACC - $2,066,990
– Cheribundi Tart Cherry Bowl vs. Conference USA - $1,000,000
– AutoNation Cure Bowl vs. Sun Belt - $751,115
– Frisco Bowl vs. At-Large - $750,000

The American Athletic has secondary partnerships with the AutoZone Liberty($4,294,681) and Walk-On’s Independence($1,248,280), to fill if the main affiliations can’t fill their slots.

So with the payout possibilities I would hope for the Liberty followed by the Military and, God forbid, the Birmingham. Hawaii and Frisco, while being good road trips, would probably break the bank, right?

MAYBE;

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2017/9/20/revenue-distribution.aspx

I thought the bowl teams get a stipend to cover expenses and then the proceeds are split among the conference. If so, should anyone gets a bad bowl bid from a payout perspective it doesn't necessarily matter if we get the low payout bowl or someone else does. 

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I thought the bowl teams get a stipend to cover expenses and then the proceeds are split among the conference. If so, should anyone gets a bad bowl bid from a payout perspective it doesn't necessarily matter if we get the low payout bowl or someone else does. 

Did you open the link? https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2017/9/20/revenue-distribution.aspx

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

Wow.  These bowls are so sad.  Just for grins, I searched for SEC bowl affiliations and this came back (may be from last year--but still):

https://www.secsports.com/article/18165241/bowl-selection-process

You can see the HUUUUGGGGEEE dropoff between P5 and "P6".  Our bowl affiliation with the SEC (Birmingham) is considered one of the SEC's consolation prizes.

We basically need to go 13-0 to get in one of the big boy bowls.  Simple as that.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Yes. Did I miss something?

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Each conference will receive $300,000 for each of its schools when the school's football team meets the NCAA's APR for participation in a post-season football game. The five conferences that do not have contacts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose or Sugar Bowls will receive approximately $90 million in aggregate (full academic pool plus base),

There's also this - http://www.tlgnewspaper.com/conferences-protect-bowl-teams-from-taking-big-financial-hit

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

No, you did not. My understanding is that the conference divides bowl revenues exactly how you described it. There might be a slight bump for a team that makes the NY6, but that would be it. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, BullyPulpit said:

No, you did not. My understanding is that the conference divides bowl revenues exactly how you described it. There might be a slight bump for a team that makes the NY6, but that would be it. 

From the article posted by BDYZR:

"A conference puts the money it collects from bowls into a pool and draws from it to give each participating school a pre-determined amount to cover transportation, lodging, meals and entertainment. Cost overruns are covered by the schools, though conferences sometimes reimburse those that must overspend because of unforeseen circumstances. Any money left over in the pool is distributed to all schools in the league.

Connecticut's horror story centered on ticket sales, or lack of sales. UConn was allotted 17,500 tickets for the 2011 Fiesta but sold only 2,771, largely because of the distance from the East Coast to Arizona. The Big East Conference, whose last season playing football was 2012, did not have a policy to help schools absorb the cost of unsold tickets. With UConn on the hook for the leftover tickets, its bowl expenses ballooned to $4.3 million, far over its $2.5 million Big East stipend.

The American Athletic Conference, the football spinoff of the old Big East, is on track to have eight bowl teams this year. Spokesman Chuck Dunlap said each of those schools will have a ticket commitment — it varies by game — deducted from its allowance. Every ticket the school sells can go to paying expenses, but unsold tickets aren't an albatross.

"The setup is designed so that a school would not lose money by playing in a bowl game," Dunlap said.
Some conferences have negotiated a reduction in the number of tickets its bowl teams are required to sell. This change helps protect schools, and acknowledges that many fans choose to buy less expensive tickets on the secondary market rather than go through the school."

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

From the article posted by BDYZR:

"A conference puts the money it collects from bowls into a pool and draws from it to give each participating school a pre-determined amount to cover transportation, lodging, meals and entertainment. Cost overruns are covered by the schools, though conferences sometimes reimburse those that must overspend because of unforeseen circumstances. Any money left over in the pool is distributed to all schools in the league.

Connecticut's horror story centered on ticket sales, or lack of sales. UConn was allotted 17,500 tickets for the 2011 Fiesta but sold only 2,771, largely because of the distance from the East Coast to Arizona. The Big East Conference, whose last season playing football was 2012, did not have a policy to help schools absorb the cost of unsold tickets. With UConn on the hook for the leftover tickets, its bowl expenses ballooned to $4.3 million, far over its $2.5 million Big East stipend.

The American Athletic Conference, the football spinoff of the old Big East, is on track to have eight bowl teams this year. Spokesman Chuck Dunlap said each of those schools will have a ticket commitment — it varies by game — deducted from its allowance. Every ticket the school sells can go to paying expenses, but unsold tickets aren't an albatross.

"The setup is designed so that a school would not lose money by playing in a bowl game," Dunlap said.
Some conferences have negotiated a reduction in the number of tickets its bowl teams are required to sell. This change helps protect schools, and acknowledges that many fans choose to buy less expensive tickets on the secondary market rather than go through the school."

So now there isn't a reason to buy tickets through USF?  Wonderful.  We'll have our 1,500 fans interspersed throughout the stadium.