• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's time to go on the record .... (OT drivel from our Kanigit friends)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Quick question for my new knight friends on the other side of the fence, what do you think the ratio is of any average sports fan knowing any championship App State may have won vs knowing that they beat Michigan? Do you think they have one fan that would trade their Michigan win for any championship they may have won?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

8 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Quick question for my new knight friends on the other side of the fence, what do you think the ratio is of any average sports fan knowing any championship App State may have won vs knowing that they beat Michigan? Do you think they have one fan that would trade their Michigan win for any championship they may have won?

Ask a Knight...would they rather have all of their big wins vs. well known opponents or their conference championships?

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Ask a Knight...would they rather have all of their big wins vs. well known opponents or their conference championships?

Yes. It brings us back to the categorical imperative if you want any of your wins to be against big name P5 opponents you are morally obligated to want all of your wins to be against big name P5 opponents.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

21 hours ago, JTrue said:

A) No they don't. B) You're thinking of Boise v. Oklahoma.

I agree on B. Before the game,  I actually thought UCF could win.  I doubted Boise St. could. 

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

21 hours ago, JTrue said:

A) No they don't. B) You're thinking of Boise v. Oklahoma.

I agree on B. Before the game,  I actually thought UCF could win.  I doubted Boise St. could. 

While Puc's take may seem mean-spirited, I understand his position.  One only needs to watch ESECPN and the like to know how they revere the Pee 5 and dismiss the others. Yes, they did take dumps on the Big East but not quite to the extent they do on the AAC.  I think West Virginia beating SEC champion Georgia in Sugar Bowl in  the Georgia Dome helped temper any negativity. 

I have to think his position would be very interesting  had USF somehow, some way had been able to win a Big East title.

Despite being dismissed or marginalized, a few AAC games, including the championship games, have gotten pretty good ratings on T.V.  Hopefully perception changes. I did find some of the SEC fans' obsessive hatred of UCF to be amusing. I would guess some of them were paying attention to AAC games for the first time ever.  In the meantime, I agree with the USF AD trying to schedule more games with teams which the average fan recognizes to create a schedule with some sizzle.  

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/15/2019 at 7:42 PM, puc86 said:

Here's the problem (not that you could fathom you are ever wrong despite black and white evidence), you have extolled the past of usf as being some kind of world beater since you upset a few teams back in the day - like anyone outside of you and a handful of fanatics remembers or still cares about. Yet, in all your imagined glory, these wins over teams over a decade ago have gotten you what exactly?

What makes this hilarious is that UCF has FINISHED top 10 multiple times and owns 50% of all Conference championships. You guys were ranked #2 for less than a week and fell back into obscurity. In fact, from a national standpoint, no one has any idea who usf is. At best, you get confused with UCF. That's a testament to just how irrelevant your program is. With all your chest beating, usf has literally accomplished the same as App state - nothing.

Meanwhile, UCF enjoys nationwide publicity for doing the exact things you don't think matter - winning conference games/championships IN ORDER to get to the NY6 and then doing something like winning them more often than not.

You have gone on and on about how P5 wins > AAC wins/championships. Then your fellow board members called you out . Instead of eating crow, you just doubled down and said, "well gee - what I really mean is ALL games matter, BUT P5 wins matter most and you can't get to a NY6 without them!" Until there comes a time when an AAC champ doesn't schedule P5 or loses both P5 but runs the table and gets snubbed - you are simply making up what is and isn't possible which is an opinion, not fact no matter how many paragraph replies you respond with.

The question was asked, would we rather win the AAC and lose both P5 games, the answer is absolutely. One scenario gets you to the Bad Boy mowers bowl, and the other has a pretty **** good chance to get you to a NY6 bowl. A regular season win over one or two P5 means nothing if you end your season playing a nobody on a time slot that nobody cares to watch. Go see a replay of you all playing Marshall, I think you had around 100 fans in the stands.

11 minutes ago, Meeps said:

Here's the problem (not that you could fathom you are ever wrong despite black and white evidence), you have extolled the past of usf as being some kind of world beater since you upset a few teams back in the day - like anyone outside of you and a handful of fanatics remembers or still cares about. Yet, in all your imagined glory, these wins over teams over a decade ago have gotten you what exactly?

What makes this hilarious is that UCF has FINISHED top 10 multiple times and owns 50% of all Conference championships. You guys were ranked #2 for less than a week and fell back into obscurity. In fact, from a national standpoint, no one has any idea who usf is. At best, you get confused with UCF. That's a testament to just how irrelevant your program is. With all your chest beating, usf has literally accomplished the same as App state - nothing.

Meanwhile, UCF enjoys nationwide publicity for doing the exact things you don't think matter - winning conference games/championships IN ORDER to get to the NY6 and then doing something like winning them more often than not.

You have gone on and on about how P5 wins > AAC wins/championships. Then your fellow board members called you out . Instead of eating crow, you just doubled down and said, "well gee - what I really mean is ALL games matter, BUT P5 wins matter most and you can't get to a NY6 without them!" Until there comes a time when an AAC champ doesn't schedule P5 or loses both P5 but runs the table and gets snubbed - you are simply making up what is and isn't possible which is an opinion, not fact no matter how many paragraph replies you respond with.

The question was asked, would we rather win the AAC and lose both P5 games, the answer is absolutely. One scenario gets you to the Bad Boy mowers bowl, and the other has a pretty **** good chance to get you to a NY6 bowl. A regular season win over one or two P5 means nothing if you end your season playing a nobody on a time slot that nobody cares to watch. Go see a replay of you all playing Marshall, I think you had around 100 fans in the stands.

If I am wrong how many time have you or any G5 team lost all of their P5 games and made it to a NY6 bowl? I assume you have won conference championships outside of the times you went undefeated or lost to one highly ranked team, surely you made it to a NY6 game in those seasons and beat out an undefeated or near undefeated other G5 team. Four out of five G5 conference champions are guaranteed to kept out of a NY6 game and one G5 team will finish every season with less than 2 losses. If you lose two games as a G5 team you are almost assured to not be the anointed one getting to a NY6 game. A NY6 game and not a conference championship is the prize any G5 team can hope to achieve because you get to play on the big stage against a quality program. If you don’t get both you get nothing in return however wins against P5 programs are far closer to the ultimate goal of the NY6 game than being the conference champion that no one cares about or can name. I could go tell 100 average sports fans the USF has won the AAC championship every year it’s been in existence and the only thing anyone would question would be that the AAC is an actual conference and I wasn’t mispronouncing the ACC. 

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

If I am wrong how many time have you or any G5 team lost all of their P5 games and made it to a NY6 bowl? I assume you have won conference championships outside of the times you went undefeated or lost to one highly ranked team, surely you made it to a NY6 game in those seasons and beat out an undefeated or near undefeated other G5 team. Four out of five G5 conference champions are guaranteed to kept out of a NY6 game and one G5 team will finish every season with less than 2 losses. If you lose two games as a G5 team you are almost assured to not be the anointed one getting to a NY6 game. A NY6 game and not a conference championship is the prize any G5 team can hope to achieve because you get to play on the big stage against a quality program. If you don’t get both you get nothing in return however wins against P5 programs are far closer to the ultimate goal of the NY6 game than being the conference champion that no one cares about or can name. I could go tell 100 average sports fans the USF has won the AAC championship every year it’s been in existence and the only thing anyone would question would be that the AAC is an actual conference and I wasn’t mispronouncing the ACC. 

What you are describing has yet to happen, one way or another. You made a blanket statement that losing two P5 games but running the table doesn't net you a bid to the NY6. Prove it. The point is, you can't - one way or another. So in your fantasy land, you just make the assumption in order to further your view that P5 wins trump everything. The NY6 has NOTHING to do with P5 wins. It's simply based on the highest CFP ranked G5 Conference Champion.

Let me give you an example. Let's say Boise State was ranked #41, and usf was ranked #20. Usf ends up losing to say GT and Wisconsin who were ranked #15 and #9 (at the beginning of the season) and drops to #27; but goes onto run the table and finishes #20. Boise beats #15 WVU and #18 Northwestern and gets ranked #13. But loses a critical conference game and doesn't make the MWC Championship, or say they do but don't win their Conference Champ game. Who do you think is going to the NY6? My point is, the AAC conference play and championship garners WAY more potential than putting all your energy into beating just OOC P5 games. 

Your example of telling 100 people that usf won the AAC every year and people not caring holds zero weight. Why do you think Gameday came to Orlando when we played against Cinci if nobody cares about AAC teams? ESPN isn't into charity work. Also, do yourself a favor and look up the last few AAC Champ game ratings, if it's as meaningless as you assume it is - I wonder why there are that many people tuning in to watch? (Hint: That's one of the reason's ESPN is paying the AAC 3-4x more than they were previously).

27 minutes ago, Meeps said:

What you are describing has yet to happen, one way or another. You made a blanket statement that losing two P5 games but running the table doesn't net you a bid to the NY6. Prove it. The point is, you can't - one way or another. So in your fantasy land, you just make the assumption in order to further your view that P5 wins trump everything. The NY6 has NOTHING to do with P5 wins. It's simply based on the highest CFP ranked G5 Conference Champion.

Let me give you an example. Let's say Boise State was ranked #41, and usf was ranked #20. Usf ends up losing to say GT and Wisconsin who were ranked #15 and #9 (at the beginning of the season) and drops to #27; but goes onto run the table and finishes #20. Boise beats #15 WVU and #18 Northwestern and gets ranked #13. But loses a critical conference game and doesn't make the MWC Championship, or say they do but don't win their Conference Champ game. Who do you think is going to the NY6? My point is, the AAC conference play and championship garners WAY more potential than putting all your energy into beating just OOC P5 games. 

Your example of telling 100 people that usf won the AAC every year and people not caring holds zero weight. Why do you think Gameday came to Orlando when we played against Cinci if nobody cares about AAC teams? ESPN isn't into charity work. Also, do yourself a favor and look up the last few AAC Champ game ratings, if it's as meaningless as you assume it is - I wonder why there are that many people tuning in to watch? (Hint: That's one of the reason's ESPN is paying the AAC 3-4x more than they were previously).

So how many times exactly have g5 teams had multiple P5 losses and made it to a NY6 game? As I have stated every single season 4 out of 5 g5 conference champions do not get a NY6 invite and I’m pretty sure all those picked for the NY6 game have a P5 win. You can call my argument hypothetical as much as you like but the ratio seems way more on my side. Want to know the fastest way to move up in any ranking? Win P5 games, the fastest way down? Be G5 and lose to anyone. My argument regarding P5 and NY6 however is that what makes it a big deal is who you are playing and the p5 game is against someone that would make it a big deal in and of itself. By contrast what makes the AAC championship not a big deal is once again who you are playing against. I realize this is confusing to you because this is the best conference you have ever been in so it seems like a big deal to you unfortunately for us this is by far the worst conference we have ever been in and sadly not as exciting for us.

Edited by puc86

29 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So how many times exactly have g5 teams had multiple P5 losses and made it to a NY6 game? As I have stated every single season 4 out of 5 g5 conference champions do not get a NY6 invite and I’m pretty sure all those picked for the NY6 game have a P5 win. You can call my argument hypothetical as much as you like but the ratio seems way more on my side. Want to know the fastest way to move up in any ranking? Win P5 games, the fastest way down? Be G5 and lose to anyone. My argument regarding P5 and NY6 however is that what makes it a big deal is who you are playing and the p5 game is against someone that would make it a big deal in and of itself. By contrast what makes the AAC championship not a big deal is once again who you are playing against. I realize this is confusing to you because this is the best conference you have ever been in so it seems like a big deal to you unfortunately for us this is by far the worst conference we have ever been in and sadly not as exciting for us.

Since there is no precedent (big word for you, meaning - there is no prior example) you are guessing that P5 wins are necessary. However, as I've shown in an example - P5 OOC wins do not yield an NY6 bid. Period. This is a fact that you can't argue because this is specifically stipulated (another large word, I know) that the only path to the NY6 is being the highest ranked G5 Conference Champion. 

Your problem is that you think that since the bid winners had a P5 or two, that is some how relevant to your viewpoint. It's not. Does winning a game against a P5 help earn a higher ranking? Sure. Does it matter if the next closest G5 team isn't a conference champion? Not one iota. I've just soundly defeated your "OMG OMG OMG but p5 wins are the only thing that matter" flawed mindset, but I'm sure you'll end up replying with the same tired old argument while side stepping facts. Also, news flash genius - usf played in Conference USA. So no, it's not the worst conference. Furthermore, if you think the AAC is the worst, yet haven't even played for a division title much less a championship, what's that say about your program? No IPF, no OCS, a Tulsa level fan base, and no hardware of any kind. Yeah no, you guys aren't in any position to cast stones until you do something.