• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN says Wisconsin a .500 team

Guest Jonesy Bull
5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine

Shouldnt be surprised. One of our notorious board "Negative Nancys".

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,844
  • Days Won:  67

33 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

If there is one thing I have learned from USF football over the years is to never bet on or count on the Bulls to do anything.

That is BS, in 2016 I laid 14 against NIU in my biggest play of my life, offense was on fire, slow northern team I was familiar with. Covered it easily and up 28-0 in 1Q, easy money.  UW is no NIU and no idea what this team will do against them but as close as we follow this team, there are value plays on each side, just need to know when to pull the trigger and when you do, go big or go home.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  1

I used to think this would be  a typical loss to a Wisc caliber team.

I am now thinking  the  Bulls new offense  and speed give them fits without the benefit of video for the new system. Wisc is also breaking in a new QB. 

It will all depend on any improvement to the defense but I think this will be an old school USF close win to a “name” school. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 hours ago, SpikeBull said:

I am now thinking  the  Bulls new offense  and speed give them fits without the benefit of video for the new system. Wisc is also breaking in a new QB. 

It will all depend on any improvement to the defense but I think this will be an old school USF close win to a “name” school. 

Im leaning this way as well.  

But still hard to get a really good readvon this game with all the changes from the off season....still think iys pretty much 50/50 either way.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

9 hours ago, SpikeBull said:

Stop the run and make the new QB beat you is how we win.  No matter how explosive our offense is they can't score if they aren't on the field.  See the 2016 Temple game.....  Also, an explosive offense actually plays into the hands of a ball control offense a bit when the power run/ball control is clicking.  The ball control offense also magnifies any turnovers by the explosive offense because the game is shortened due to the TOP disparity.   It's pretty simple we stop the run and this game is winnable, unless this new QB is the second coming of Russel Wilson.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I'm not sure how exactly ESPN's FPI is calculated prior to the season actually starting. My guess is that soem projections are made based upon returning talent. With Wisconsin's situation at QB being uncertain, I'm sure that factors into their 6-6 projection. Additionally, with our defensive question marks, last year's slide, and a new OC, I imagine that factors into our pre-season FPI as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/11/2019 at 4:18 PM, Gatorbull325 said:

I started watching college football in 1995....I don't remember Wisconsin ever having any bad years or losing less than 8 games except for last year and they still ended the season with a bang. 

1995 was a losing season. Also Wisconsin had a losing season in 2001. Oddly enough the team won games at Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan State that year but lost to Indiana something like 63-32.  Those are the only two losing seasons since 1992.

Last season the defensive line suffered several key injuries and the offensive line did not perform nearly as well as a line with three potential All Americans on it should have. Team needed to win in three overtimes at Purdue to have a winning record. 

The 2019 is a mystery to me.  For one thing there will be a quarterback competition.  For another, the defensive front seven needs to be rebuilt.  Even though the offensive line lost three starters (2 of 3 potential AA's), I have hopes for improvement in 2019. 

Obviously running back, Jonathon Taylor, is a star.  If unhurt, he will almost certainly run for 2,000 yards again in 2019. 

The schedule is tougher. I have read the team has to play six games against other teams coming off byes. That's a good reason for predicting a poor season.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

I don’t think our defense is going to have the size needed to win this game. 

First game with a new offense and if last year was any indication, an undersized defense. 

We have speed and some play makers and maybe we have some big plays. But I think Wisconsin’s offense is going to control the game. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Gismo said:

I don’t think our defense is going to have the size needed to win this game. 

First game with a new offense and if last year was any indication, an undersized defense. 

We have speed and some play makers and maybe we have some big plays. But I think Wisconsin’s offense is going to control the game. 

Exactly. This is the worst kind of match up for us defensively and power has given us fits historically. Think Melvin Gordon in our first match up (181 yards), Rice, even those old Pitt offenses and Shady McCoy.

Taylor could be the best of the bunch: https://sports.yahoo.com/wisconsins-latest-star-rb-could-be-one-of-the-greatest-of-all-time-035932519.html

Only hope in my opinion is if the offense can keep up which means comfort with the new scheme game 1. If so, we might be able to really surprise them as we have talent at every position.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

This team was a lot better last year with a healthy Barnett and healthy Cronk. I’m also eager to see what the defense looks like with an actual LB in the middle and Reeves back at the end. We were really undersized last year and it showed.

I really don’t know what to expect.