• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC Media Football Media Days

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Starts next Monday. Still being held in RI which I think is better than crappy Texas barbecue in 112 degree weather. Here is who USF is bringing:

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,832
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Starts next Monday. Still being held in RI which I think is better than crappy Texas barbecue in 112 degree weather. Here is who USF is bringing:

It may be hot as a Mofo however for you to take a shot at the BBQ is completely unfounded and I take much offense.  I grew up in the North and used to think BBQ consisted of ground beef in Manwich sauce.  Texas BBQ is legendary and you need to stick to your clam chowder.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

It may be hot as a Mofo however for you to take a shot at the BBQ is completely unfounded and I take much offense.  I grew up in the North and used to think BBQ consisted of ground beef in Manwich sauce.  Texas BBQ is legendary and you need to stick to your clam chowder.

Sorry man but a lobster bake beats barbecue every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. Further in terms of Texas barbecue, it’s third behind KC and Memphis....

• Me no likey 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Charlie_Day_Oh_shit.jpg

23 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Sorry man but a lobster bake beats barbecue every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. Further in terms of Texas barbecue, it’s third behind KC and Memphis....

Comparing apples and oranges, I love a good bake as much as the next guy.  You are eating in the wrong places, KC too sweet and Memphis really only does ribs.  Texas smoking is like no other, slow smoked perfection.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Comparing apples and oranges, I love a good bake as much as the next guy.  You are eating in the wrong places, KC too sweet and Memphis really only does ribs.  Texas smoking is like no other, slow smoked perfection.  

Yes Texas smoked foods are great but I like the sweet sauce of KC (Gates being my favorite) and the vinegar taste of Memphis sauce (Central being my favorite). The problem I have with Texas sauce, and I know this is a generality, is that it is thick...not a fan of the thick sauce. But to each their own. Living up here I generally don’t each much barbecue during the summer months compared to fall and spring. This time of year it’s all about seafood. Lobster at my local grocery store is $4.99 a pound and I eat it like chicken.  

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yes Texas smoked foods are great but I like the sweet sauce of KC (Gates being my favorite) and the vinegar taste of Memphis sauce (Central being my favorite). The problem I have with Texas sauce, and I know this is a generality, is that it is thick...not a fan of the thick sauce. But to each their own. Living up here I generally don’t each much barbecue during the summer months compared to fall and spring. This time of year it’s all about seafood. Lobster at my local grocery store is $4.99 a pound and I eat it like chicken.  

I am jealous and could eat lobster all day as well.  If ever in DFW, hit Hutchins, it is the best by far but doesn’t sound like the style suits you much anyways.

34 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I am jealous and could eat lobster all day as well.  If ever in DFW, hit Hutchins, it is the best by far but doesn’t sound like the style suits you much anyways.

Will do. I actually have a nephew in FW and he swears by Hutchins. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
14 hours ago, Friscobull said:

You poor guy!

BBQ is a staple of the South (even in Florida).....couldn't imagine growing up without it, seems like a sin!

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,455
  • Days Won:  19

As a side note, as a lover of BBQ, there was lots of great options when traveling to watch Bulls football over the years. 

ECU always lead to their version of BBQ: which is usually whole hog (sometimes just the shoulder), chopped with a vinegar and red pepper flake sauce (almost clear). North Carolina style described above is seen in the East side of the state. 

Our Bowl trips to Charlotte lead to the western side of North Carolina BBQ, which is the same as above, but the sauce is vinegar and ketchup based, still very watery, but much thicker than the East side of the state. 

Then when we played at South Carolina, that state features a BBQ sauce that is mustard based. 

Trips to UAB and the Birmingham Bowl always included a stop at Dreamland BBQ. 

Memphis - wow - I love the dry rub (no sauce) of Rendezvous. Corky sweet sauce is good too, and for a change of pace, head to Interstate BBQ and get the BBQ Spaghetti. 

When we went to play Kansas, we hit up Gates (my favorite there), & Arthur Bryants (good, but over hyped). 

Southern MIss had Leitha's BBQ Inn in Hattiesburg. 

Cincinnati has the Boathouse at Montgomery Inn (but really Skyline Chili is the star of UC road trips). 

Syracuse has Dinosaur BBQ (good, but over hyped).

UConn has nothing, and can leave now (but leave a load of money behind in a brown paper bag for the rest of us).

Texas school have smokey brisket (I know they do sausage, turkey and and pretty much everything, but it is about the brisket).

• Upvote 2