• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

Is it pretty safe to say that no one has any idea on what to expect? One thing is for sure, we will finally have size and depth to compete against p5 teams. Some people don't like the idea of bringing in all the transfers, but this team had major talent and depth deficits.

Charlie realized that he has to win right now and he is building a team that will possibly win 11 games. What's really on his mind is the first game of 2020. I think we see more offensive players trying to come in next year after Kerwin puts up 36 a game ...I would like to see two p5 running backs come over.

• Topic Count:  351
  • Content Count:  4,069
  • Days Won:  56

I think you’re right on - we have no idea what to expect, especially at LB and in the secondary beyond Mike Hampton. Is it possible he’s the only returning starter in the back seven? I think so. The front four has good experience (Kegler, Pinckney, Livingstone and Reaves) now and solid depth. Seems like that’s where programs such as ours have the toughest time building, so it should give us hope. The years when we’ve been stout and experienced up front have typically produced good results. Let’s hope that’s the case again this go-round.

One area of serious concern last year that we never talk about and I have no idea if it’s been addressed or not is special teams. Our kickoffs and kick coverage were horrible in 2018. Our punter was wildly inconsistent and our place kicker was solid at short range but we have no idea if he has a leg to hit one of any length - especially since he didn’t handle kickoffs, which leads me to believe he doesn’t have a very strong leg. Could this be the area that comes back to bite us in 2019? We also did next to nothing on punt returns. We were content to have McCants back there with sure hands who we could count on to catch the ball, but he wasn’t much of a return threat. Sure would be nice to have someone shifty there and it seems we have more than enough of those little burners on the roster to fit the bill.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Has anyone really complained about bringing in the transfers?  Especially, given how our defense performed last season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

Has anyone really complained about bringing in the transfers?  Especially, given how our defense performed last season.

Some have. The D needed a total rebuild and for the most part, got it! 

• Topic Count:  351
  • Content Count:  4,069
  • Days Won:  56

The only transfer I am critical of is the kid from Tennessee. I’m not a fan of bringing in kids who’ve been dismissed from other programs - especially for criminal actions. Whether or not the charges stuck, it was enough for Tennessee to send him off. Let FAU have him. That’s their MO. You also potentially take playing time away from a kid who’s already in the program and working hard. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

The only transfer I am critical of is the kid from Tennessee. I’m not a fan of bringing in kids who’ve been dismissed from other programs - especially for criminal actions. Whether or not the charges stuck, it was enough for Tennessee to send him off. Let FAU have him. That’s their MO. You also potentially take playing time away from a kid who’s already in the program and working hard. 

The charges were dropped and he was vetted by Strong himself. We couldn't afford not to give him a chance. Will.be on a short leash though. Don't forget our starting Olb was 200 lbs Last year.

We now have real potential at lb this year. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  1

Special Teams has always been a problem for CCS. We do get Horne back so that will help with the returns. As far as the D goes I'm interested in seeing if BJM and CCS will make in game adjustments especially when what they are doing isn't working. We do get Horne back so that will help with the returns

It think the program quit. I think he had to weed out staff and players. There will be competition will be fierce.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, bullsfan27 said:

Special Teams has always been a problem for CCS. We do get Horne back so that will help with the returns. As far as the D goes I'm interested in seeing if BJM and CCS will make in game adjustments especially when what they are doing isn't working. We do get Horne back so that will help with the returns

I really doubt Horne will be 100% and as electric as he was to start last season. Give him the 2020 season to really be as impactful.