• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  76
  • Days Won:  0

In light of Pender choosing UNC it got me to wondering. Why is it that kids get caught up in the glam of “P5” schools? We have seen it time and time again with Wollard, Cherry etc. Last year Armwood highly recruited RB Snead chose OSU when they had 3 or 4 other 4* RB’s already on roster now that guy is at a JUCO. Pender chose UNC, what’s the over/under on him wanting to come back home in a year due to a “hardship”? 

Sometimes the best play is going to a school like USF, UCF, CINCINNATI, Temple, Houston etc where you can play early and often and not have to sit two years behind 4 other 4* just because the jersey says OSU, UF or FSU. Do you think USF should stop taking transfers that snubbed us from the get go, I feel those highly touted recruits look at school like ours as a fall back.  Look at Ed Oliver, could have went anywhere in the country but went to UH and still got drafted 1st round.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  10

CF recruiting is a sin and a business.  Recruiters are seeking commits from 15-16 year olds whose parents don't understand the corrupt nature of the game.  Lies, hookers, money (hello, Miami!) on top of a kid dreaming of one day being professional...

Kids believe that they need to play for a high profile program in order to be noticed by the scouts.  Of course, we know that that is not entirely the truth.  But we are not 16, either.

• Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  6,459
  • Days Won:  28

40 minutes ago, HPbull said:

In light of Pender choosing UNC it got me to wondering. Why is it that kids get caught up in the glam of “P5” schools? We have seen it time and time again with Wollard, Cherry etc. Last year Armwood highly recruited RB Snead chose OSU when they had 3 or 4 other 4* RB’s already on roster now that guy is at a JUCO. Pender chose UNC, what’s the over/under on him wanting to come back home in a year due to a “hardship”? 

Sometimes the best play is going to a school like USF, UCF, CINCINNATI, Temple, Houston etc where you can play early and often and not have to sit two years behind 4 other 4* just because the jersey says OSU, UF or FSU. Do you think USF should stop taking transfers that snubbed us from the get go, I feel those highly touted recruits look at school like ours as a fall back.  Look at Ed Oliver, could have went anywhere in the country but went to UH and still got drafted 1st round.

It baffles me as well. But all we can do is work with those who don't mind going to a G5 school. As for Pinder, UNC sucks, so he should be able to see the field. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, HPbull said:

Entirely depends on what football’s purpose is for you. Some just want to keep playing football, some expect to use college on the way to the NFL, some want a degree, some just want it as a means to get away from home.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

It’s all about maturity. To make it to the NFL, regardless how good you are, is a long long shot. But this can’t be explained to a 17 year old. Some get it...most don’t. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, HPbull said:

Absolutely not. If we have place for a player that fits us, never turn them away .....

Bottom line, as JT put it, there are a myriad of reasons that a player could have for choosing a school. Thinking that a "P5" school is their best shot at the NFL is only one of them

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,325
  • Days Won:  5

And sometimes they have to learn the hard way. Just like us adults. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  115
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, HPbull said:

There’s numerous reasons why a kid would choose P5 over a G5 school. 

Most kids, especially in Florida want to play against the best, and in order to do that you go to the SEC. they also want to play in front of 80,000 and up whether at home or on the road.

Also the NFL looks at your competition that you played against and takes that into account. Every now and then you get an Ed Oliver but for the most part those types are few and far between.

These are some of the things that kids consider when making their choice. You could go on and on. Being P5 makes a difference.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, 7overlord said:

Most kids, especially in Florida want to play against the best, and in order to do that you go to the SEC. they also want to play in front of 80,000 and up whether at home or on the road.

Not arguing the point, but PLAYING is the main point. The NFL is not going to see, I'm guessing, well over 1/2 of the P5 players. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Not arguing the point, but PLAYING is the main point. The NFL is not going to see, I'm guessing, well over 1/2 of the P5 players. 

The NFL sees who it wants to see. If you have talent, they will find you. 

You could barely crack special teams as a senior, but if you put up #’s on pro day they are going to give you a look. 

Edited by IBulleve