• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's beat writers need to tap the brakes.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, puc86 said:

Anything else. Go independent and become road warriors by picking up 2-1 like they are candy (50k for 5 games is better than 7 games of 25k), blow the conference up and try to scrape together something that may interest the world by taking the best of the rest from every G5 conference or even consider dropping down further even even dropping football all together to focus on the other sports that have a legitimate path forward. What is clearly not working is to try to force the AAC P6 model down consumers throats since we are hemorrhaging money and fans by producing a product that’s far more expensive than its market value. If we were trying to claim this product as a business on our personal taxes we would be told it’s not a business but a hobby, that’s a problem at some point and when that point comes it will be changed for us if we haven’t proactively changed it ourselves. In conclusion the AAC sucks, the market does not care for it at all, to make matters worse being in the AAC is expensive, making that matter worse the AAC does not make much money, this causes us to operate at a huge deficit, losing money is bad, UCONN is paying $10 million to flee their huge AAC deficit and at some point every member of this **** show will be forced to make some difficult choice on how to deal with Wareshouses full of cds we have produced.

This to me, if possible, is the way to go. I wonder if schools like USF, Boise, BYU, etc have ever explored this. I'm pretty sure that every G5 football program bleeds money. No telling when any G5 programs will get a P5 invite, and if it does happen,   it will probably be 2 to 4 teams, leaving the rest out forever. If putting together a "Best of the Rest" conference is possible, why isn't anybody moving towards that? It's possible to put a pretty good conference together. There would be interest...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

We're bleeding money?

i don't believe you anchorman GIF

9 minutes ago, Calibull said:

We're bleeding money?

i don't believe you anchorman GIF

Last figure I saw is that the football team brought in $9mil a year, with $12mil in expenses. Another member of TBP posted the stats awhile back. This was from the 2016 season I believe. Haven't seen the latest numbers, but I can't imagine it being much different.

Edited by USFBulls727

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

11 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Last figure I saw is that the football team brought in $9mil a year, with $12mil in expenses. Another member of TBP posted the stats awhile back. This was from the 2016 season I believe. Haven't seen the latest numbers, but I can't imagine it being much different.

According to these 2016-17 figures, we've got a Total Revenue of $49,960,338 with Total Expenses being $48,227,500 ...... maybe some voodoo economics in there but those figures don't support us bleeding money.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

According to these 2016-17 figures, we've got a Total Revenue of $49,960,338 with Total Expenses being $48,227,500 ...... maybe some voodoo economics in there but those figures don't support us bleeding money.

That's for athletics as a whole. This is what I was referring to...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

5 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

That's for athletics as a whole. This is what I was referring to...

So we're just talking about splitting out football, then?

Edit: I just saw that the bleeding money comment was just about football

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So we're just talking about splitting out football, then?

I believe Puc threw that out as a possibility. Not sure what the overall revenue vs. expenses would look like in the potential new conference, because many of the schools mentioned as potential conference mates (Army, Colorado St, Boise)  I don't think bring much outside of football. Never thought of the overall value of such a conference combining all sports. Was only thinking in terms of football...

Should this receive legitimate consideration as a power conference?

BYU, San Diego State, Boise St, Air Force, Army, Colorado St, USF, UCF, Houston, Memphis, Navy, Temple, ECU

A handful of teams with a National following in there. Would certainly be a good football conference. Some of those add zero in other sports though....

Guest Jonesy Bull
9 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Should this receive legitimate consideration as a power conference?

BYU, San Diego State, Boise St, Air Force, Army, Colorado St, USF, UCF, Houston, Memphis, Navy, Temple, ECU

A handful of teams with a National following in there. Would certainly be a good football conference. Some of those add zero in other sports though....

Certainly has potential to be.....but but do you make this happen without legal action by the MVC, and how can you kick out the Tulanes and Tulsas of the world without legal consequences.....sounds like a really huge long shot scenario.

14 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Certainly has potential to be.....but but do you make this happen without legal action by the MVC, and how can you kick out the Tulanes and Tulsas of the world without legal consequences.....sounds like a really huge long shot scenario.

Neither Tulsa or Tulane would be kicked out. The schools forming the new conference would pay their exit fees like UConn did to get out of the AAC, MWC, or whatever conference they're leaving behind. Tulsa and Tulane would remain in the AAC.