• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Report: Uconn leaving for Big East

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

2 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

The NY6 doesn't require a conf champ does it?  I thought it was just highest ranked.  USF might still get the bid over Temple in that scenario.

For G5 its the highest ranked conference champion.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

43 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Well, there is the distinct possibility of not being able to plan a 1 for 1 to coincide with the years UConn was supposed to come here and you may have to pay someone.  Just saying that $750k is nice but won't get an IPF built any time soon.

Highly unlikely...worse case you play a C-USA team or Sun Belt...might get a 2 for 1 with some of the low end programs in that bunch

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

That is incorrect. The automatic spot in the NY6 to the G5 conferences goes to the highest ranked conference champion out of the G5. What Aresco proposed (top 2 teams, no divisions) would would make the most sense for the AAC given the current landscape. 

Ohhhhhhh.  Well then...I guess I do agree with changing how the championship teams are chosen.  I still think it's kinda lame but it definitely is best for the conference.

Edited by Ghostbuster

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, 86atlbull said:

Meh, Connecticut basketball fans being unhappy in the AAC seems pretty similar to USF football fans being unhappy in the AAC (to me at least). At least Connecticut was an original member of the Big East. If that's really where they want to be God bless em.

I miss the real Big East, not the bastardized version of it that eventually broke up in 2012. The current Big East is unimpressive to me but still had 4 tournament teams (same as AAC but AAC won more games) and I think 5 NIT teams (AAC had 2).

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

28 minutes ago, 86atlbull said:

Those are some heavy points from a UConn fan.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Well, there is the distinct possibility of not being able to plan a 1 for 1 to coincide with the years UConn was supposed to come here and you may have to pay someone.  Just saying that $750k is nice but won't get an IPF built any time soon.

I'd imagine we'd just have a different conference opponent.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

11 hours ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

LOL I totally forgot about Houston & SMU. that's how much I love this conference.

Truly.  

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

The more I ponder the issue, I wonder if Boise State's deal with the MWC could ultimately lead to them wanting to join the AAC. As it stands, BSU makes about $3 million annually, while the rest of the MWC teams make only $1.1 million. In a desperate attempt to keep the conference in tact the last time the winds of expansion were blowing, the MWC allowed BSU to retain exclusive rights to its home football games in PERPETUITY! BSU and their 4 conference road games add very little value to the MWC contract, which many predict won't net much more than the current TV deal.

I don't know that BSU will see a bump in the asking price for their 6 home games per year. Would BSU be willing to bring just their football program to the AAC in exchange for $4 million annually? They could have the rest of their sports remain in the MWC or move them to the WAC. In that scenario, the AAC nabs the best G5 program available and each conference team still makes an extra $300,000 annually out of the deal.

For competitive balance you move Navy from the West to the East and BSU takes their place in the West. You would have BSU, Houston, Memphis and SMU/Tulane competing at the top of the West and UCF, USF, Cincy, and Temple at the top of the East.  I could get behind that setup. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

14 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

Meh, Connecticut basketball fans being unhappy in the AAC seems pretty similar to USF football fans being unhappy in the AAC (to me at least). At least Connecticut was an original member of the Big East. If that's really where they want to be God bless em.

I miss the real Big East, not the bastardized version of it that eventually broke up in 2012. The current Big East is unimpressive to me but still had 4 tournament teams (same as AAC but AAC won more games) and I think 5 NIT teams (AAC had 2).

You mean the one pre USF that had Miami and Boston College?  That Big East?  Or the one that was pre Miami and Boston College?  That one?