• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Report: Uconn leaving for Big East

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,330
  • Days Won:  0

I know the cupboard is pretty bare but Army shouldn't be an option if we want a serious conference. Excluding the last couple years they win 4-5 games a year.

Also, didnt they leave the CUSA because they were getting slaughtered?

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

12 hours ago, TallyBull said:

We should take a clue from our betters (P5) and stay at 11 in football UNLESS we can add a team that increases the overall money pot for the conference, and I think there are only a couple of schools (not already in the P5) that could do that: Boise or BYU. 

That said, I could live with Army joining because having both Army and Navy in our conference would be awesome IMHO.

We’d have to play a round robin if below 12. That’s the only way the Big 12 got their waiver.

we’re adding a team

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,250
  • Days Won:  1

If we stay at 11 wouldn’t we have to go to 10 conference games thus only allowing 2 non conference games per year. If so it would be way easier to add one more just so we can keep our conference games to 8 and keep our 4 non conference games than only have 2 ooc games. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

8 hours ago, Brad said:

That was the USF theme with UCF, and that soon wilted.  @puc86 

Such a novel idea. If you have a competitive advantage over someone that would otherwise be likely situated to you, and you actively remove that competitive advantage to make things more on par between you, it will only lift them up while bringing nothing of value to your life. Life works best when everyone works in their own self interest, altruistic is another word for stupid and we have seen this movie before and it ends badly for us.

Edited by puc86
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

13 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

All of those programs are trash and would cost us $700k. 

One way to look at losing a team is we all could get that 700k per year if no one is added (and there truly is no penalty).

But there's an opportunity cost to that.  With UConn gone, we have less fans traveling to and from USF games which means less money staying in the conference (one way or the other).  And if you add no one to the conference, you have the real possibility of needing to fill those missing games with schools you have to pay to come visit.  See recent FAMU and Bethune Cookman contracts, they're getting $420k-$475k.  So let's say you do that every other year for a home game to replace UConn: You're now down from $700k to $280k that year to play a game that doesn't move the needle for enthusiasm (negatives for home ticket sales/season ticket renewals/SoS).

However by adding a conference team, there's the chance you can actually add enthusiasm and value all around.  If the conference team does really well that means the AAC will get more viewers, more ticket purchases, and more people willing to travel/spend money.  That translates to the conference having more real (monetary) and perceived (SoS/quality teams) value.  Plus, heaven forbid we're still here in 10 years when the media deal expires but if we are.... you can bet your ass without a replacement for UConn you're getting a paycut.  And if you can poach a school from the next highest G5 conference, in order to widen the gap between AAC and the rest, you definitely should.

I was on the fence but now I just convinced myself to roll the dice and add another school.  Too much potential upside vs the potential cost of doing nothing.

Edited by Ghostbuster

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Good news is, with the UConn gone, our baseball team can make the conference tourney. You can’t expect us to compete with the steamroller that is Connecticut baseball.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

12 hours ago, cophbulls said:

I see all the talk about the BIG12 scooping us up and why wouldn't they with all the National championships USF has? And boy, why would anyone consider a CUSA or SunBelt team, I mean, they are all trash compared to USF and all our conference championships in football that are stuffed into our trophy case.  I mean,  jeez why are we even in the AAC? We have such a better athletic department then everyone in the ACC, it's virtually impossible for USF to lose in any sport. What a great idea it would be to go independent! We'd probably get to play Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, BYU  and Clemson every year! Good riddance to UConn! I hated them losing to us in baseball, soccer and every other sport every year. Probably we should just allow UF, FSU,  and Miami to join us in a Florida only conference. What a win it would be for them! 

Get effin real.

Taking the time to go thru all that and no mention of UConn's having actually played in a NY6 bowl?? ...... Weak.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

21 hours ago, bullsfan27 said:

As far as the women’s tourney goes might as well have to top seed host it once uconn leaves

This is pretty much logistically impossible ...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

27 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

One way to look at losing a team is we all could get that 700k per year if no one is added (and there truly is no penalty).

But there's an opportunity cost to that.  With UConn gone, we have less fans traveling to and from USF games which means less money staying in the conference (one way or the other).  And if you add no one to the conference, you have the real possibility of needing to fill those missing games with schools you have to pay to come visit.  See recent FAMU and Bethune Cookman contracts, they're getting $420k-$475k.  So let's say you do that every other year for a home game to replace UConn: You're now down from $700k to $280k that year to play a game that doesn't move the needle for enthusiasm (negatives for home ticket sales/season ticket renewals/SoS).

However by adding a conference team, there's the chance you can actually add enthusiasm and value all around.  If the conference team does really well that means the AAC will get more viewers, more ticket purchases, and more people willing to travel/spend money.  That translates to the conference having more real (monetary) and perceived (SoS/quality teams) value.  Plus, heaven forbid we're still here in 10 years when the media deal expires but if we are.... you can bet your ass without a replacement for UConn you're getting a paycut.  And if you can poach a school from the next highest G5 conference, in order to widen the gap between AAC and the rest, you definitely should.

I was on the fence but now I just convinced myself to roll the dice and add another school.  Too much potential upside vs the potential cost of doing nothing.

How so? We would still play 8 conference games a year...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Corey lea said:

Why waste your energy in the league period. Put some money together, upgrade the facilities, get an on campus stadium and hope for expansion. 

...and why we are at it let’s get a **** ton of rabbits foots, put them in a circle and pray hard to the football gods for a miracle...your idea is terrible...

• Like 1