• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Montreal-Tampa Bay Rays.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

Useful in that it will be used for baseball. Value depends entirely on how much you like said baseball. But it has been proven time and time and time again, stadiums NEVER turn a profit for the city.

I didn't say anything about turning a profit.  It can be a valuable piece to the Ybor City/Channelside corridor

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

20 hours ago, chapelbull said:

I didn't say anything about turning a profit.  It can be a valuable piece to the Ybor City/Channelside corridor

In what regard? The area is already built up. It’s packed most nights. That’s part of the reason they aced the plan.

Its been proven by every major economics expert in this country that baseball stadiums don’t enhance the economic impact to an area.

The issue is the Rays want a billion dollar stadium, and there is zero data to back up the idea that (1) it’s not a loser for the area and (2) that fans will show.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Joe said:

The issue is the Rays want a billion dollar stadium, and there is zero data to back up the idea that (1) it’s not a loser for the area and (2) that fans will show.

And yet there are new billion dollar stadiums built in this country on a relatively regular basis.

Financing is by far the biggest issue with building the stadium, there is room to build down in the area or other areas if the funding and desire to do so is there.   Just came back from Baltimore, stadium right in the middle of downtown, blocks from the Inner Harbor area and an asset to the  community.  Sits right next to the Ravens stadium.   In Philly they built the stadiums at the end of Broad Street along with a "food court" of restaurants and an out door concert minutes from downtown and not too far from some other night life type establishments.   Atlanta area built the new Braves complex flush with new retail and restaurant as well as lodging in the 'burbs.   Ballparks are destinations for fans/community these days can be a valuable part of the community whether they turn a profit or not.  The green spaces downtown aren't turning a profit either, but it doesn't mean they aren't destinations and important pieces of the community.

Now all that being said, I couldn't care less if they decide to pony up the money to build a stadium or not.  Won't matter to me one bit either way.  I enjoy taking trips to other cities and checking out the stadiums with my son or the family as a whole.  If we build a new stadium, then I'll enjoy checking it out, if not I'll enjoy watching local minor league, college, and even high school games and traveling to other destinations when I get the chance. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

The baseball stadium only have value to baseball fans. The problem is all tax payers are having to pay for them, whether they like baseball or not. To someone who couldn't care less about baseball, the stadium is nothing but a waste of space but they are still paying for it. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:

The baseball stadium only have value to baseball fans. The problem is all tax payers are having to pay for them, whether they like baseball or not. To someone who couldn't care less about baseball, the stadium is nothing but a waste of space but they are still paying for it. 

You can say that about a few things that people are forced to finance through taxes. I wouldn't mind them giving it a go over here but have no clue if that will help attendance. I think it'd have more of a chance if the area had mass transit like most of the parks I've been to have. It's all a big crap shoot .....

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

You can say that about a few things that people are forced to finance through taxes. I wouldn't mind them giving it a go over here but have no clue if that will help attendance. I think it'd have more of a chance if the area had mass transit like most of the parks I've been to have. It's all a big crap shoot .....

I think it would do better in Tampa than it does in St. Pete. I also can understand when voters say no to paying for it. I think at some point teams are gonna have to concede and build smaller stadiums that the can finance. Most of the money is in TV deals anyway. 

Beautiful new stadiums also attract more casual fans.  It becomes more of a destination beyond baseball.  There were many people at Citizen's Bank Park and at Camden Yards that didn't seem all that interested in the baseball game.   True, the community as a whole would have to pay for something that many would not use, but as Trip points out that applies to many things throughout the community already. 

As I said, I won't lose sleep either way, but the Rays are getting a new stadium sometime in the coming years either here or Montreal or Charlotte, Vegas, Portland, etc.

I’m going to need an example of something the tax payers have to pay to build that has the price tag of baseball stadium and such limited public use. The public get no monetary value out of a stadium. A handful of surrounding businesses get a slight bump on game days but that’s it. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I’m going to need an example of something the tax payers have to pay to build that has the price tag of baseball stadium and such limited public use. The public get no monetary value out of a stadium. A handful of surrounding businesses get a slight bump on game days but that’s it. 

Probably a better thing to ask is an example of something the taxpayers have to pony up for that makes wads of money for a private ownership the way stadiums do. I think that's the uniqueness of the stadium deals. My taxes go to stuff like libraries, parks & recreation, even schools, that I get zero use out of ...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Probably a better thing to ask is an example of something the taxpayers have to pony up for that makes wads of money for a private ownership the way stadiums do. I think that's the uniqueness of the stadium deals. My taxes go to stuff like libraries, parks & recreation, even schools, that I get zero use out of ...

Correct, even those things you listed that you don't use, some portion of the pubic does for little to no extra cost. Whereas Stadiums only benefit the owners and those who are wiling to pay extra for a ticket, parking, and concessions. 

Edited by BrassBulls12