• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So, 73 days out, how many at USF v Wisconsin?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

I think we get over 45k...solid opponents and a bunch of Wisky fans live down here and will travel 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

17 hours ago, USFRaider said:

I will say around 35k to 40K.   I know alot of my friends can't make it because of Friday night commitments, and there will be some who won't make it because they are waiting to see the product on the field after last year's six game losing streak disaster.

16 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

In other words those who are not real fans...

7 hours ago, USFRaider said:

In other words those who have jobs in the high school football world (referees, coaches, etc.)  that have to be at their high school games on Friday night.

I'm guessing that NEB was primarily talking about the fans in red up there ..... the fair weather/bandwagoning ones.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

I'm guessing that NEB was primarily talking about the fans in red up there ..... the fair weather/bandwagoning ones.

Yepers

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,561
  • Days Won:  29

I don't have confidence in Tampa Bay Area Football fans . . . under 50K 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

On 6/18/2019 at 9:48 PM, USFRaider said:

...and there will be some who won't make it because they are waiting to see the product on the field after last year's six game losing streak disaster.

When Ford sent his tweet about people waiting to see if we will be successful, these are the people to whom he was referring.  I think you are both right. 

You know, we need to make some term distinctions here.  USF fan, casual USF fan, college football fan.  I don't think there are many AAC fans out there so we won't worry about that one.

The reason I say this is as USF fans, I think we are vastly overestimating our fanbase.  Of fans like us (spend time everyday hanging on every conjecture, speculation, eventuality and then believing all of it to be true), yes, they will attend the games with the fanatic gusto that we require of people who desire the title USF fan.  But I don't think there are that many left.  The high water mark for this program seems to have been the 07ish years.  That was so long ago that I still had color in my hair.  Look at how many posters here are sick of hearing about it and how many weren't even sentient human beings when all of this happened.  After thirteen years, we didn't lose only bandwagon friends, but die hard fans whose lives outside of Ray Jay got complicated and a floundering team couldn't be a priority.

Then we have fans of the university, but not big on football.  They're good people, too.  You can't sue them for that.  A winning team might intrigue them. 

People who just like to watch good college football?  Well, we haven't provided that for a while, so there's potential there.  They are good people, too.

My point is, we are all subject to Typical Bias - we believe that we are typical of how people should be (hello, Puc? 😉)  We have found great joy in our Fanpsychosis and can't understand why everyone doesn't rise up to our standards to qualify for the esteemed title of USF fan.  That's not how it is.  Our fanbase has dwindled to mostly just that hardcore.  If we want to attract more numbers we have to stop being boneheads and stop judging who is and who isn't a "real fan".  Everyone is invited.  Even if you don't stand, even if you can't make every game, even if you like the new uniforms.  Even if you wear green on a whiteout day.  Even if you leave early.  Even if you schedule your wedding during football season.  You know - all the other stupid criteria we use to exclude people that we want as fans.

No, we aren't typical at all of the general population of Tampa Bay.   And most don't care about our expectations of them.  We have to make the product so good that it competes with the general population's lives and becomes a priority.

Edited by Grateful Dad
  • Upvote 3

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Nice post @Grateful Dad. These parts essentially true and painful:

14 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

After thirteen years, we didn't lose only bandwagon friends, but die hard fans whose lives outside of Ray Jay got complicated and a floundering team couldn't be a priority.

14 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

Our fanbase has dwindled to mostly just that hardcore.

What are we going to do as fans?  Yes, have a big tent but how do we get people inside?  We need to do things fans can do to create buzz and attention.  USF has had ebbs and flows of outreach in the past but Mr. Kelly seems interested in transformational change.   I suggest we be a part of the solution and return to the program with the same enthusiasm as 2007, and bring three friends.  😃

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,834
  • Days Won:  67

Just now, Brad said:

Nice post @Grateful Dad. These parts essentially true and painful:

What are we going to do as fans?  Yes, have a big tent but how do we get people inside?  We need to do things fans can do to create buzz and attention.  USF has had ebbs and flows of outreach in the past but Mr. Kelly seems interested in transformational change.   I suggest we be a part of the solution and return to the program with the same enthusiasm as 2007, and bring three friends.  😃

Great points, We have to do this, we can sit around and talk about every game in detail over the past 20 years and think everyone that has ever attended this university will be as crazed as us or start over and take nothing for granted.  Travel to away games, donate money, attend all alumni tail gates and the happy hours on Friday.  Happy to have a team and will do whatever in my power to return to relevance.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

Man, I really like Kelly and what he is doing.  I see good things coming up.

Essentially, I think you are right, Brad.  Everyone get one or three.  But you can't make them go.  The program has to do its part.  I believe we will get there sooner than later.  It's just that with the Groupthink that naturally occurs in a relatively cohesive group of people, we need to do reality checks once in a while to calibrate our expectations and ensure that we are not denigrating those who "ain't one of our'n" yet.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

19 minutes ago, Brad said:

What are we going to do as fans?

Demand excellence?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469