• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Out on a limb against Wisconsin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, Calibull said:

a few months before that they were a top 30 defense (2017)... This is college football, that happens.  An young defense gives up a ton of yards one season and can't stop the run, and then suddenly it together.  Or have you forgotten the jump the defense made for 2016-2017?  

We have two big seasoned DTs inside now who showed flashes last season and both actually played well in the spring game.  Last season was a different animal.  We had a thin young defense that saw a 190 DB starting at Lb (McGee got pushed around, love the guy but no) and I don't think people understand how big a move putting Reaves at LB was after losing Sawtelle (we lost production at two positions).  Also, Boyles was a literal pup out there playing, the guy has gotten better... and now you see guys like Grier flying around and all of them are bigger and better prepared to deal with rigors of college football.  I see the defense resembling the 2017 defense.  I don't think teams will run the ball on us next season like they did last.  We have a lot of depth, size, experience, and strength coming back.  The guys are also talented and they also know who the leaders are.  

All good points, and we may very well be much improved on defense this season, but having two DTs who showed flashes last year isn't enough to convince me that we will be able to stop Wisconsin. Reaves being back in position will help.  Corey Lea has up being up by 14 at Half in week 1. While I'd love for him to be right, I have my doubts that we have risen to a level that we can handle that big OL and top notch running back.   Also, our own OL will need to be quite a bit improved for us to win this.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

Any Idea when we will find out about Sails eligibility. The thought of Hampton, Sails, Lapoint, Studstill, Davis and Burnett is very exciting. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

43 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

All good points, and we may very well be much improved on defense this season, but having two DTs who showed flashes last year isn't enough to convince me that we will be able to stop Wisconsin. Reaves being back in position will help.  Corey Lea has up being up by 14 at Half in week 1. While I'd love for him to be right, I have my doubts that we have risen to a level that we can handle that big OL and top notch running back.   Also, our own OL will need to be quite a bit improved for us to win this.

The Oline will have to improve pass blocking no doubt... but there we actually a pretty good run blockers and I think it helps that the 3 freshmen played so much last season.  Oline is going to be one of the biggest we've ever had... so lets hope that extra size and strength equates to success. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

45 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

but on the defense i'm sold  I think they're going to be pretty good.  And Pickney and Kegler showed more than flashes, I was just using that to say they're getting better and at time showed what they can be.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

It’d be nice if Scarlett Johansson showed me her boobs...but that didn’t happen in 2018 and I’m not betting on it for 2019, either.

Is she your hall pass? 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,513
  • Days Won:  28

5 hours ago, Corey lea said:

We are going to win by 13!!

Reasons:

I think we will get out early and be up by 14 at the half.

Kerwin Bell is that impressive and we bulked up and added enough size and talent from the portal to stop a heavy run offense. I think Studstill will be a man on a mission in the Box. The DL is much improved and will have depth. We are good on the ends.

My only concern is lb play and with Macon coming in and Greer, Broyles (sp) Lainge and Mims...hopefully the DL can keep the guards off of them

Secondary: Studstill, Burnett, Lapointe and Hampton...All are capable and can tackle in space. Davis and Evans can provide relief. If Sails is eligible then Hampton will have to elevate his game and tackle better.

I'm curious on Waller, Leacock and Kirby.

If we start Sanders or Roberts in the secondary it will be a very long afternoon.

I still think that 2 or 3 more will show up from portal.

I went on the Wisconsin blogs and even they dont thonk this game is a garunteed victory. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,513
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Our defense couldn't stop anybody a few months ago, now suddenly we're the '85 Bears? I realize that is 2019 now and not 2018, but it sounds like you're expecting an incredible amount of improvement on defense in a very little amount of time. Also, I'd wait to see Bell's offense in an actual game before getting too hyped about it.  There's no guarantee that it will fully click in week 1. I would advise against betting on your prediction. Would be nice if you end up being right about this though...

Our defense sucked b4 BJM got here and they improved drastically his first year here. It can happen

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Wisconsin is a tough out and bad match up for us, but it's still a winnable game if a few things bounce back our way. I think what Wisconsin has to do to win the game is more in their wheel house as to what they do as a program than what we have to do. They just have to play Wisconsin football and not turn it over to win. We have to stop at power run team which historically he struggle at and play disciplined football. Those are things he struggle with. With all that said it's week 1 for both teams and a turnover or two and a big special teams play and we have something to work with. To win this game we have to have a furry of scores at some point to get Wisconsin out of their comfort zone. That means splash plays outside of just the offense. Hopefully we are ready in all 3 phases of the game. 

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Wisconsin is a tough out and bad match up for us, but it's still a winnable game if a few things bounce back our way. I think what Wisconsin has to do to win the game is more in their wheel house as to what they do as a program than what we have to do. They just have to play Wisconsin football and not turn it over to win. We have to stop at power run team which historically he struggle at and play disciplined football. Those are things he struggle with. With all that said it's week 1 for both teams and a turnover or two and a big special teams play and we have something to work with. To win this game we have to have a furry of scores at some point to get Wisconsin out of their comfort zone. That means splash plays outside of just the offense. Hopefully we are ready in all 3 phases of the game. 

This

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

32 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Agreed. They will get their yards & points, we just need to slow down the run a little bit, and hopefully Bell's offense lives up to the hype. Hoping this won't end up looking like Dalvin Cook running wild on us in 2016, where he averaged 10 yards per carry, but I seriously doubt that will be the case. I do like the fact that we get them in week 1.

• Upvote 1