• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Downtown Tampa statue honoring Lee Roy Selmon is about more than just football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,455
  • Days Won:  19

On 6/10/2019 at 7:26 AM, Triple B said:

Don’t get that, unless maybe doing it when students are home at holiday times ....... or it has something to do with hosting the first round of the NCAA’s, although I don’t recall that in the past. 

I know there was a rule requiring NCAA tournament sites to host a regular season game, but it doesn't have to be us as the host school. Not sure if that rule is still on the books. 

I can tell you in past years the pros of playing downtown is added exposure to the corporate community of Tampa and new people coming to games. 

Obviously, the cons include making it harder for students to attend and the fact that our home building is now pretty nice. Back when I worked in Athletics, part of the argument was the Sun Dome being in poor condition that's not the case any more. 

One more possible factor is maybe it isn't a traditional home game, but something someone else is putting together, where the result is we get a good opponent that might not have otherwise agreed to play us. Sort of like the Orange Bowl Classic in Miami - where someone else is creating a double header and we are invited. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

I know there was a rule requiring NCAA tournament sites to host a regular season game, but it doesn't have to be us as the host school. Not sure if that rule is still on the books. 

I thought I remembered something like that, too, but was there a game played there last year before the NCAAW Final Four?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,455
  • Days Won:  19

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

I thought I remembered something like that, too, but was there a game played there last year before the NCAAW Final Four?

I don't know all of the rule. For example, could a men's game fulfill the requirement for a WBB Final 4? I bet there was at least one college basketball game at the arena last year, but I can't name a date and opponents. (not involving USF, which I would have remembered)

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/9/2019 at 1:21 PM, Triple B said:

Do it during hockey season and take your son to a Bolts game. The little park is close to Amalie, and appropriately right across street from USF Health CAMLS 

On 6/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, Brad said:

Thanks for the idea Trip, makes sense.  Would make greater sense if there is overlap with USF Football.  #HockeyNoviceHere

Three potentials depending on USF game times :

October 26 - ECU / 7:00PM Nashville

November 16 - Cincy / 4:00PM Winnipeg  (NY Rangers on Thursday 11/14)

November 23 - Memphis / 7:00PM Anaheim   (Buffalo on Monday 11/25, Thanksgiving week)

There's one more potential option but I'm going to jinx it.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Three potentials depending on USF game times :

October 26 - ECU / 7:00PM Nashville

November 16 - Cincy / 4:00PM Winnipeg  (NY Rangers on Thursday 11/14)

November 23 - Memphis / 7:00PM Anaheim   (Buffalo on Monday 11/25, Thanksgiving week)

There's one more potential option but I'm going to jinx it.

Again, wait until basketball season when we have one of our games there...make it a USF night. Not some hockey game...

46 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Again, wait until basketball season when we have one of our games there...make it a USF night. Not some hockey game...

Maybe even possible to make it a trifecta if here long enough ......... and I'm still wanting to hear about these Amalie hoops games.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Maybe even possible to make it a trifecta if here long enough ......... and I'm still wanting to hear about these Amalie hoops games.

Maybe the FSU game that you mentioned?

1 hour ago, &rew Bull said:

Maybe the FSU game that you mentioned?

If the FSU thing comes to fruition, it's not being played here or Tally ..............