• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Downtown Tampa statue honoring Lee Roy Selmon is about more than just football

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

image.thumb.png.d1e097edcfe76c6cfa8b9e8dc16b92e8.png

Published 2 hours ago

TAMPA — Statues honoring football heroes are usually erected outside stadiums — and certainly there’s no one more deserving to be bronzed in front of Raymond James Stadium than Lee Roy Selmon. That Selmon’s statue was unveiled Friday morning in downtown Tampa, far away from the Bucs stadium or USF, pays true homage to the man’s contributions beyond football.

The 8-foot cast bronze statue, which is at the corner of Florida and Brorein in the shadow of the Selmon Expressway, says enough in its design. Selmon isn’t wearing a helmet or in full uniform. It’s not a glimpse in time depicting Selmon bearing down on an opposing quarterback.

Selmon is wearing his retired No. 63 Bucs jersey, but it’s over a collared dress shirt. He’s wearing business slacks and dress shoes. He has his right hand on his hip, a mannerism familiar to those who were close to him. And Selmon’s left hand is giving the USF’s “Go Bulls” horn salute.

It’s on purpose that Selmon isn’t holding a football. He has his watch on his left wrist and his wedding ring on, but most recognizable might be the smile.

Rest of article

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,844
  • Days Won:  67

I love the guy much like everyone on this board, he was not only a hall of famer but an even better guy and made USF football possible.  We need a statue at the stadium as well, went too early but his impact was impressive 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

He one-upped Shula. Shula got an expressway and a badass mural in Winwood, but a statue is hard to top.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

That statute expresses everything about Mr. Selmon. His love of playing football and his love of USF. There will never be another one like him. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Very Very Nice. Hopefully, there will be a statue of  Selmon #63 in front of Tampa Stadium soon. 

6 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Very Very Nice. Hopefully, there will be a statue of  Selmon #63 in front of Tampa Stadium soon. 

Thinking on this further...IF a statue was erected at Tampa Stadium Lee Roy could be 8' tall he was the original anchor of the Buc's D.  Then behind him could be a multitude of 5' high statues of the 2002 Buc's Super Bowl Team. There would be nothing like it a man made wonder. Kinda like looking at a Football Flash Mob waiting to happen....and of course Doug Williams would need to be in there too just because he was so much fun to watch. And our beloved coach King #10 statue( his 6' tall) would have to be throwing up some horns...🙃

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

20 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Then behind him could be a multitude of 5' high statues of the 2002 Buc's Super Bowl Team.

Just need to move them from across the street ...

image.thumb.png.a0f238174b05a1cdc8d79f0e520c5ad0.png

• Upvote 1

there you go..see it's a possibility since some are already created. Really bugs me though when people steal my ideas before I have them. Wonder which one is chucky??

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Next trip to Tampa, I'd like to see the statue in person.  I was not in Lee Roy's inner circle, but he sure made me feel like it.  The few times I ran into him - or my kids did (literally, as youngsters, at a game) he was the perfect ambassador of USF Football and humanity.  He was special.  

• Like 1