• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

New Rules for Men's Basketball

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

12 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

Got to speed up the game with the 20 second shot clock on an offensive rebound for the ADDHD crowd.  

Dumb to penalize a team for doing the right thing. 

The right thing is to make the basket so there is no rebound. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Yep, shoot 100%, thats doable.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

Yep, shoot 100%, thats doable.

Doable but not very likely.

Personally, I have no idea why they’re messing with this. Scorers table has enough stuff to keep straight and this just seems like more opportunities for clock stoppage to get the shot clock straightened out. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

17 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

I think the 3 pointer helps us, as it opens up the lane further and we are better in the paint than from deep. 

The rule change that may hurt us is the 20 second shot clock after an offensive rebound. We played a tempo control game at times last season, so that change potentially forces more possessions per game. 

If we can't shoot the 3 they can still pack the D inside the arc.  Still don't think it helps us. 

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

If we can't shoot the 3 they can still pack the D inside the arc.  Still don't think it helps us. 

We aren't so abysmal that teams won't respect the 3. In the 3 games against DePaul we went 33 for 82 (40.2%). Granted, we had games where we really struggled, but we do have guys capable of filling it up. They aren't going to just leave DC or JB wide-open, which will presumably free up the lane a little bit more. I just think for a team that rebounds and defends as well as this current squad that it will benefit us. We shall see. 

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Doable but not very likely.

Personally, I have no idea why they’re messing with this. Scorers table has enough stuff to keep straight and this just seems like more opportunities for clock stoppage to get the shot clock straightened out. 

Agreed, why fix if it ain’t broke.

If you want to focus on a rule how about calling carrying the ball.  Players can’t bring it up with no pressure without carrying it.  I actually say a carry called in an 11U girls AAU game three weeks ago.  It was certainly a carry, but I’ve not seen it called forever.  Enforce the rules we have instead of adding more.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

51 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Agreed, why fix if it ain’t broke.

If you want to focus on a rule how about calling carrying the ball.  Players can’t bring it up with no pressure without carrying it.  I actually say a carry called in an 11U girls AAU game three weeks ago.  It was certainly a carry, but I’ve not seen it called forever.  Enforce the rules we have instead of adding more.

Steph Curry got away with an obvious one last night.  Traveling happens on probably 25% or so of possessions.  Calling that and 3 seconds in the lane is a lost art.  But because of the physical nature of the game now those aren't as important I suppose.  I watched a video of the game when Texas Western won the NCAA.  Amazing how little contact was allowed. Today's game looks nothing like that.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,810
  • Days Won:  67

9 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Steph Curry got away with an obvious one last night.  Traveling happens on probably 25% or so of possessions.  Calling that and 3 seconds in the lane is a lost art.  But because of the physical nature of the game now those aren't as important I suppose.  I watched a video of the game when Texas Western won the NCAA.  Amazing how little contact was allowed. Today's game looks nothing like that.

You probably also remember when you and Naismith had to stop the game to retrieve the ball out of the peach basket after every made shot.  The game has evolved a lot in your lifetime, thanks for making us feel young Cousin.  A good point that the physicality of the game is responsible making it harder to enforce the rules, don’t see this changing anytime soon.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,715
  • Days Won:  0

My grandfather (born in 1928) used to say the basket should be raised to 12 feet and that dunking ruins the game. My father (born in 1947) still says the shot clock and three point line have ruined the game. Evolving rules are inevitable, just like old guys talking and arguing about how to make the game better. I like the new rules. Now if only they'd raise the hoop a couple of feet... 😉🤘🏀

• Haha 1

That’s why I can’t stomach the NBA.  It’s awful on it’s best day. Carries and walks are part of the game in this league.  

As for contact I get it and that part doesn’t bother me.  We play AAU at the 11U (girls) and it’s affectionally called gorilla ball.