• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Johnny Ford points out the elephant in the room.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Interesting that UAB had great support last year...maybe the trick is to remove the program for three years to let people not take anything for granted. That being said I don't think Johnny is being demanding here but is simply making an observation. In terms of filling a 70K stadium, I don't think anyone is looking to that as it would require consistent wins among other thing. But to get at lest 25k (actual) to a game shows, in my opinion, that many USF grads and fans have little to no loyalty. Thus, loyalty goes beyond wins and losses...it is supporting the alma mater because it is the alma mater. I know this is very idealistic but I am getting older and see things that way.

What you are missing is that we get that many people to watch AAC games, in the Florida heat, while constantly changing the direction of the program and having many years of less than success while only being in our first generation of a program is a testament to loyalty. Objectively the rudderless trajectory of program, it’s self inflicted wounds and the misfortune that has fallen on us prior to establishing even a generation of fans should have the team playing in front of friends and family. Loyalty has us playing in front of more fans than pretty much the entirety of the G5, that we don’t like our situation or that we have a 32oz container for our 8oz pour doesn’t some how make our over achieving fanbase the reason for our underachieving program. Don’t like the attendance woes (read being exactly where they should be expected to be) #dosomething .

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

15 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Interesting that UAB had great support last year...maybe the trick is to remove the program for three years to let people not take anything for granted. That being said I don't think Johnny is being demanding here but is simply making an observation. In terms of filling a 70K stadium, I don't think anyone is looking to that as it would require consistent wins among other thing. But to get at lest 25k (actual) to a game shows, in my opinion, that many USF grads and fans have little to no loyalty. Thus, loyalty goes beyond wins and losses...it is supporting the alma mater because it is the alma mater. I know this is very idealistic but I am getting older and see things that way.

UAB averaged less than 25K announced.  Why is that great, but our 38K poor?

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

Because we had a previous station in life that had a higher ceiling, we play in a stadium that’s roughly 2x our current need, we have the only beat writers in college football that harp on our “actual” attendance deficits and we are self loathing.

Just now, puc86 said:

Because we had a previous station in life that had a higher ceiling, we play in a stadium that’s roughly 2x our current need, we have the only beat writers in college football that harp on our “actual” attendance deficits and we are self loathing.

UAB was in 70k Legion Field and only the self loathing part should relate to the folks ******** on this board about attendance ...

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

UAB was in 70k Legion Field and only the self loathing part should relate to the folks ******** on this board about attendance ...

The last time Legion Field held 70k was the year we played Alabama there. I think that next year the upper level was condemned, torn down and Alabama never played there again. Definitely by the time we went to the Papa Johns bowl it was only a lower bowl.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

54 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

At the end of the day I have no problem at all with Johnny speaking up. It’s on his mind so it must be on the minds of other players too. I don’t think there is any meanness in his statement, simply a wish for more support. True it does come with wins but there is something about loyalty that is missing from USF. 

I’d like to know what the impetus was for the Tweet. Did it just come out of the blue or was it in response to something?

7 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The last time Legion Field held 70k was the year we played Alabama there. I think that next year the upper level was condemned, torn down and Alabama never played there again. Definitely by the time we went to the Papa Johns bowl it was only a lower bowl.

Maybe, capacity was listed at 70k when I researched UAB's attendance

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Maybe, capacity was listed at 70k when I researched UAB's attendance

I stand corrected it was actually larger than that with the upper deck which is shocking. So mostly the reason is because it’s the only G5 program anyone on here is aware of at all.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

30 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

It’s all context I think they had about 15k announced before the shutdown. With their new smaller stadium being built (city built with Legion being torn down), we will see what happens.  

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,844
  • Days Won:  67

8 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I stand corrected it was actually larger than that with the upper deck which is shocking. So mostly the reason is because it’s the only G5 program anyone on here is aware of at all.

Admitting you were wrong is a blatant violation of the PUC code, just wanted to point that out.