• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Johnny Ford points out the elephant in the room.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

On 6/2/2019 at 7:13 PM, BrassBulls12 said:

Always bad to quote the first post when there are 8 more pages remaining....

BUT,

What fans have "called for big wins before" supporting USF?  

Are these just random Tampa fans?  

In my nearly 23 years of USF Football, I never met one fan that said get some big wins, then we'll talk.  But, big wins force the talk.  I don't even know former USF fans that are saying that.  The closest I've heard is that if you want to attract the casual fan, you need to play teams better than the AAC.  I think that's completely true and completely different from this faux story.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:31 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

Thanks @NewEnglandBull I see now, responding to one person....that's probably why I stopped reading back then. 

Sure a big win does great things for the program, but no one should plant a big win between themselves and supporting the Bulls.  

Torello should have just said Johnny responds to a fan, who was talking about energizing apathetic fans.  Not some group of fans that are waiting for a big win to support the team.  They're just oblivious, as they were a decade ago when it became cool to be in RJS watching the Bulls.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2019 at 5:02 AM, Bausfkid said:

Great question Johnny. Because USF and the city of Tampa does not support sports.  Further, there will never be an OCS without support first.  

Go Bulls!

When figuratively the town and its townfolk give up their first born son in the financial interest of the Bucs, these things happen.

On 6/3/2019 at 8:48 AM, puc86 said:

I think it’s a bit much to expect alumni of another university to spurn their allegiances and embrace a team simply because they live in a city.

I can vouch for that.  

/rant

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,845
  • Days Won:  67

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

Thanks @NewEnglandBull I see now, responding to one person....that's probably why I stopped reading back then. 

Sure a big win does great things for the program, but no one should plant a big win between themselves and supporting the Bulls.  

Torello should have just said Johnny responds to a fan, who was talking about energizing apathetic fans.  Not some group of fans that are waiting for a big win to support the team.  They're just oblivious, as they were a decade ago when it became cool to be in RJS watching the Bulls.

I will fall on the sword, was a huge Miami fan, graduated from USF before we had a team in 93.  Went to 1 or 2 games a year for a decade and moved from Tampa to Texas in 2006.  The Auburn game in 2007 got me going and the WVU put me over the top, I realized my school is big time and put my allegiance behind our team.  Big wins matter and are necessary to building a base IMO.

And NO ONE would argue that big wins matter, of course they do.  What's disturbing is this assertion that "fans" are saying win a big one and then we'll come - it's not that at all.  That's just stupid.  Playing and winning "big" teams will build the fan base much more rapidly than playing scrubs.  Yes, they will attract people not previously known as fans.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,845
  • Days Won:  67

26 minutes ago, Brad said:

And NO ONE would argue that big wins matter, of course they do.  What's disturbing is this assertion that "fans" are saying win a big one and then we'll come - it's not that at all.  That's just stupid.  Playing and winning "big" teams will build the fan base much more rapidly than playing scrubs.  Yes, they will attract people not previously known as fans.

I am thrilled with AD Kelly and what he has done, making the most of what we got.   I am not sure what we are arguing about, I am saying big wins against big teams make the difference, I think you are sayin the same thing?

Yes, we are saying the same thing, mostly.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Be curious to see what UF would draw if they had 2-3 losing seasons in a row.   Hard to say how many are hardcore fans and how many are  fringe fans...easy to be a fan when your team wins most of the home games.

We just need to slowly keep building that base with hardcore fans and if we get some big wins the fringe fans will come again, well atleast for the big games.