• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another possible future scenario to toss around in the offseason ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I skipped the previous pages, but the gist of this is that you should be eligible for the NY6 game without winning the AAC? The argument is, we don't play **** during our conference schedule and so winning it should be the benchmark for making the big times. Have we ever had a team that was ranked higher and clearly better than the rest of the AAC but didn't win the conference? The P5 is pretty much saying that if you can't run the AAC gauntlet of our mediocre teams, you're probably not good enough to play with the big boys. I mean, let's say it's next year and we beat Wisconsin, GA Tech and BYU, run the table in conference, and lose to a 10-2 Memphis team in the finals. In all likelihood, we'd come in #15 or so starting with unranked to begin the year and they'd be 20 something. With the loss, we'd fall to 20 something and everyone would put us behind them anyway. What's the argument? It's not like the rankings are ever going to even remotely reflect anything other than our record and the AAC champ will always get the highest ranking. It's a moot point.

It came close to happening last year and there’s no real reason to think it will never happen in the future. Tweak your scenario for next year just a little, an undefeated USF coming in a little closer to 10, maybe 12 or 13 losing to an unranked, 8-4 Memphis and it’s totally conceivable that we end ranked higher. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

It came close to happening last year and there’s no real reason to think it will never happen in the future. Tweak your scenario for next year just a little, an undefeated USF coming in a little closer to 10, maybe 12 or 13 losing to an unranked, 8-4 Memphis and it’s totally conceivable that we end ranked higher. 

Didn't Temple win the Conference unranked with 4 losses in 2016? We ended up being ranked at the end of the season that year I believe.

3 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Didn't Temple win the Conference unranked with 4 losses in 2016? We ended up being ranked at the end of the season that year I believe.

Temple was ranked 24, we weren’t at all. They would have gone to NY6 game but that was Western Michigan’s magical year. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

Temple was ranked 24, we weren’t at all. They would have gone to NY6 game but that was Western Michigan’s magical year. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/1/year/2016/seasontype/3

I believe you are correct. We jumped them after the bowl game.

Edited by USFBulls727

58 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/1/year/2016/seasontype/3

I believe you are correct. We jumped them after the bowl game.

I was going by the CFP rankings, which i think is how they fill the G5 NY6 participant, and their last poll is the one to set up the playoffs.