• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Another possible future scenario to toss around in the offseason ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

Prefer conference title OR NY6 bowl? Obviously we'd prefer both but they could be mutually exclusive down the line ..... (Puc, don't even bother responding)

No conference title needed for New Year’s bowl? AAC chief likes idea

Published Yesterday

While convening with several American Athletic Conference administrators just outside Dallas the last two days, Commissioner Mike Aresco raised a question he hopes the league athletic directors will seriously contemplate.

If a Power Five team doesn’t have to win its conference to reach the College Football Playoff (see Alabama, 2017), why should a Group of Five team need a conference crown to play on New Year’s Day?

“It’s a debate worth having,” Aresco said.

Related: AAC chief applauds USF’s non-conference schedule

Under current CFP guidelines, the highest-ranked Group of Five conference champion earns a spot in a New Year’s Six bowl game. Aresco actually pushed for the G5 slot ― and begrudgingly accepted the stipulations ― several years ago, as the Big East and BCS were dissolving.

“As much as we didn’t like it, I needed to make sure we had a shot at New Year’s Day,” he said.

But as recent history has indicated, the top-ranked G5 conference champ may not be the best G5 team.

Rest of article

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

Aresco found no one interested. This has been trashed already, thankfully.  

Even the conference chief is thinking the crown don’t mean ****.  

• Haha 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

If you don’t want me to make your thread popular then I guess I will honor your request because I care about other people and their feelings.

• Haha 1
  • ???? 1
  • Me no likey 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,810
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Prefer conference title OR NY6 bowl? Obviously we'd prefer both but they could be mutually exclusive down the line ..... (Puc, don't even bother responding)

No conference title needed for New Year’s bowl? AAC chief likes idea

I have wanted a conference champion since Hector was a pup however this is an easy one, NY6 by a mile.  This will not even generate a discussion, BCS bowl way better than a conf title, not even close.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

I guess the argument is if a team isn't good enough to win their crappy G5 conference, then why are they good enough to play in a NY6 bowl game?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

13 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I have wanted a conference champion since Hector was a pup however this is an easy one, NY6 by a mile.  This will not even generate a discussion, BCS bowl way better than a conf title, not even close.

Challenge accepted 😝.

A single 'bcs' game or conference championship...well I'm going conf champs simply because it means we get that stupid monkey off our back.  A NY6 game, aside from the payday, doesn't mean that much to me honestly.  But if we win the dumb conference we shut up one talking point against us.

Now if you're saying a CFP (playoff) game vs conf champ, no contest take the playoff game.

Edited by Ghostbuster

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679

I understand his reasoning. But I think P5 should have to win their conference to get in CPF too. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

Challenge accepted 😝.

A single 'bcs' game or conference championship...well I'm going conf champs simply because it means we get that stupid monkey off our back.  A NY6 game, aside from the payday, doesn't mean that much to me honestly.  But if we win the dumb conference we shut up one talking point against us.

Now if you're saying a CFP (playoff) game vs conf champ, no contest take the playoff game.

Money is a big deal, it’s pretty much the only thing that matters in college football. Also playing on a national stage and against prestigious programs is exciting and boosts our presence in the community as well as the nation. When you play with the elites hopefully some of that rubs off on you the same way playing with this **** we are stuck with had rubbed off on us. There is absolutely no one except for 30 people on the internet that are discussing conference doa championships or are aware of our lack of them. The only way to win conference land of misfit toys is to get the hell up out of it and if we play in a NY6 game for a few glorious moments we can be on the top of Shawshank drinking a beer and blissfully unaware that we are still in prison. Sorry @Triple B my will is strong but my flesh is weak.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Money is a big deal, it’s pretty much the only thing that matters in college football. 

So I just looked it up and UCF got 3.8 million for the peach bowl (I thought it'd be under a million).

When you're talking that much money then yes you take that game.  So I'm changing my vote.

3 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

So I just looked it up and UCF got 3.8 million for the peach bowl (I thought it'd be under a million).

When you're talking that much money then yes you take that game.  So I'm changing my vote.

More importantly it is a 4 hr infomercial displaying our brand to more than 20x the number of people watching the AAC championship game on ESPN ocho. I honestly do not think I know a single person irl that has watched a single AAC championship game.