• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Athletics Hall of Fame

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

I would caution against throwing "hall of fame" at just a really good player in any sport.  IMO, this is meant for the elite of the elite.  I've seen lots of WBB in my life and to this point would tell you only Guyton and Williams belong in that class.  

Again, IMO Grothe, Selvie and Flowers belong.  All others were just really good players.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

1 I agree. On #3, if I had a vote, Jenkins belongs. Kitija (and Jespersen) are strong candidates, but if the classes are 3-5 a year

2.  One more thing, for honors like Hall of Fame and banners in the Dome, those are usually delayed by at least 5 years after graduating, it allows the honorees perspective on their accomplishments at USF and makes the moment mean more to them.

3.  The fact that Williams is not in yet is not a snub, but just a natural progression. 

1. HOF Inductees are now limited to 3 per year.

2. HOF eligibility begins 4 years after the athlete’s NCAA eligibility is over.

3. Courtney becomes eligible for nomination to HOF next year.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

18 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

1. HOF Inductees are now limited to 3 per year.

2. HOF eligibility begins 4 years after the athlete’s NCAA eligibility is over.

3. Courtney becomes eligible for nomination to HOF next year.

3 per year makes it tough to honor the past. What I mean by that is that each year there will be probably be 3 recent/newly eligible people. Hard to go back and find the deserving people who played for all those years the Hall of Fame didn't exist. I know they want it to be special and exclusive. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439

I think the 2019 class is well-deserving and appropriate.  Look forward to honoring them.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061

It is hall of fame, not hall of good

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

It is hall of fame, not hall of good

If that's the case it should be the Hall of Outstanding, not Fame.  Tyler (Toast) Roberts is famous to me but wasn't outstanding.  

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

On 5/29/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mike Stuben said:

3 per year makes it tough to honor the past. What I mean by that is that each year there will be probably be 3 recent/newly eligible people. Hard to go back and find the deserving people who played for all those years the Hall of Fame didn't exist. I know they want it to be special and exclusive. 

They should probably make it 5 per year for a little bit to make up for the time that they did away with it (for some unknown reason). They could also do a legacy induction to honor someone from the distant past that played prior to the Hall of Fame. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

They should probably make it 5 per year for a little bit to make up for the time that they did away with it (for some unknown reason). They could also do a legacy induction to honor someone from the distant past that played prior to the Hall of Fame. 

I agree. 

One battle every college hall of fame must address is evaluating players vs. coaches vs. administrators. 

In every pro sport hall of fame (take baseball) .... so many more players get in than coaches and others. College Hall of Fames are tricky, in that players come for 4-5 years at most, then move on. It is hard to compare the accomplishments of a player who played 4 years, but was only a starter for 2-3 years vs. a coach you may have been here 15-20 years. Which is why I would be all for a format like this:

Every year, up to 3 current players (eligibility ended no more than 10 or 12 years ago - but at least 4 or 5 years after their eligibility ended). 

Up to 1 Coach/Administrator. 

Up to 1 Legacy player, whose eligibility ended more than 10 to 12 years ago. 

Of course, no requirement they take the full 5, but the slots are open for up to 5. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

If that's the case it should be the Hall of Outstanding, not Fame.  Tyler (Toast) Roberts is famous to me but wasn't outstanding.  

You are confusing fame with infamy ....

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

You are confusing fame with infamy ....

fame 1a. The state of being widely known, widely recognized, or of great popular interest: a singer of international fame.  

Tyler Roberts was widely known and of great popular interest to WR's of opposing teams.  BUT, I wasn't being serious.