Site News
  • TBP Ticker

Hi Guest,

In our efforts to raise funds for USF Football, the site is giving away a football season full of ad-free surfing at The Bulls Pen.

Would you consider buying a ticket or two to the raffle that will award this to you or a fellow member of the board?

Each ticket purchase goes directly to our effort to raise $10K in "fan money" for the program.  Below is the link:

The Bulls Pen Ad-free Raffle in support of USF Football

Thank you,

Brad Brad
  • Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

• Next:  at Navy, 10/19 3:30 p.m. CBSSN  
      1 2 3 4 Final
    BYU 3 13 7 0 23
    Bulls 0 7 7 13 27

McCloud - 7/14, 72 yards, TD, INT; Cronkrite - 26 car, 158 yds, 2 TDs; Wilcox - 2 recs, 52 yds, TD

• Members do not see this ad, Register today

7 hours ago, JTrue said:

I really thought you were going the sarcastic route in this post when it started. If you're trying to earn respect, you're not getting it via Troy and App State. Yes, they are better than an FCS team, but no one is saying at the end of the season, "Gee wiz, USF went 8-5, but one of those wins was in place of an FCS team and instead they played a former FCS school. Kudos!"

Obviously. My point was that if at the end of the year we are undefeated or have one loss then we need to have as good a OOC schedule as we can get. Who knows if this system can be crashed? Unlike UCF, we need to put ourselves in the best scheduling position possible in case it does happen. Prepare for success. Replacing FCS games with historically good teams from lesser conferences is a great step towards that imo.

Look at the two years we currently have a FCS team on our schedule. 2019: Wisconsin, GT, BYU, S. Carolina St & 2021: NC St., UF, BYU, FAMU. Replacing SCST and FAMU with App St. or Troy doesn't look like a big deal on the surface but it would have a huge impact on s.o.s.

Let's be honest. USF is not getting into the playoff as a member of The American. No G5 team is getting into the playoff, ever. That's not what these games are for. These are program builders, paydays and recruiting tools. Build the program up to these games, succeed and maybe next time conference realignment comes around, we are in a good spot. If we get into a money conference and then we can talk playoffs.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, George Jenkins said:

Let's be honest. USF is not getting into the playoff as a member of The American. No G5 team is getting into the playoff, ever.

I agree, but at least these games would shine a brighter light on the whole sham that is the CFB Playoff if we were to go undefeated.

If we're trying to attract new fans, this is what the casual fan wants to see.  I wonder if his selling point is, if you schedule us, you'll piss UCF off even more.  

Posted (edited)

If you want to be a P5 school then you have to play the P5 schools. The paths taken by USF and UCF are very different but work for each:

• UCF feels they have a P5 quality program and have built a fan base clamoring for more, which makes sense because there is nothing to support in Orlando (sorry Magic and MLS) so any level of success will breed interest. But UCF has begun to alienate the P5 with their smugness
  • USF on the other hand is a school that believed it was P5 already and whose fan base now refuses to accept the AAC. So when success suffers on the field Tampa area fans have many other places to turn their interest. 

UCF is competing against MLS and the Magic, while USF needs to compete against the NFL, NHL and even MLB. Kelley understands for interest to rise again in USF he needs to create “events” that have the potential to recreate interest similar to the wins over Florida State, Notre Dame, Auburn, Miami, Clemson and West Virginia. Winning the AAC in Tampa doesn’t compete on the entertainment meter.

No one can doubt UCF’s success on the field, but USF’s eyes have always been bigger than the AAC. Alabama, Florida, Miami will all be “event” games and create an opportunity where a victory over any of them will garner more national recognition than an AAC title.

Edited by brybull1970
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, puc86 said:

We could have and should have traded them Holtz for Dabo straight up that day. The fans were ready to run him out of town with pitch forks, my how times change.

I remember their fans' displeasure with Dabo during and after the Bowl game. It was interesting listening to them walking out of the stadium.

11 hours ago, George Jenkins said:

We're dropping UCF for our actual rival WVU.

I would not complain one bit. We need to start competing against the big programs to regain our swagger and increase our talent draw.

16 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

I remember their fans' displeasure with Dabo during and after the Bowl game. It was interesting listening to them walking out of the stadium.

As @CousinRicky astutely pointed out the transition probably has more to do with his situation and his unlimited budget to hire assistants than it has to do with him as a coach. His donors like him as a person and his awe shucks I am just a good ol' boy who was lucky enough to be the WR coach when Bowden was told to kick rocks probably plays better at Clempzon than it would anywhere else in country, couple that with money and a beautiful campus and you win a national championship or two. Take your show on the road to Temple Terrace and you are fired in three years. 

22 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Lets invent a time machine and make that happen. NO take backs!

C'mon Blue, I want the Wolverines!

giphy.gif