• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Battle and McCloud in comparison to Flowers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Good lord have heard the above about CWT and he left. There is zero loyalty kid when it comes to college football coaching. They will all leave for more $ and a chance to actually play for a national championship...it is as old as the Old Testament...aint no one staying when the $ are offered.  

There is a good 15 year difference in their age. When Taggart left USF for Oregon it was is pretty much what 99% of coaches would have done. Bigger school conference and money. Taggart leaving for FSU was simply a man who went after his DREAM job since he is from the area and grew up a big FSU fan. Taggart idolizes Bobby bowden and simply wants to have a long tenured career there and cement his own legacy. And going to a job for more money is what all Americans do in their careers. Hell, I work for a great company, but after I get this certification this summer, I will be looking at $20k more per year to possibly doubling my salary if I go somewhere else. Does that make me greedy? As for CCS he is much older than Taggart and to me seems more concerned about his coaching legacy and stability more than a few more dollars. The man wears slippers and socks. I doubt he is a money hungry person. Hell even coach Skip Holtz  had an interview in which he said that he is tired of moving around. When you are young it's cool, but after 50 years old, who really wants to keep taking a chance on a new company? CCS made $10 mil from Texas and is going to average 3 mill per year at USF. CCS is almost 60 years old and living in the perfect city to retire in. 

Edited by Gatorbull325

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

22 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

There is a good 15 year difference in their age. When Taggart left USF for Oregon it was is pretty much what 99% of coaches would have done. Bigger school conference and money. Taggart leaving for FSU was simply a man who went after his DREAM job since he is from the area and grew up a big FSU fan. Taggart idolizes Bobby bowden and simply wants to have a long tenured career there and cement his own legacy. And going to a job for more money is what all Americans do in their careers. Hell, I work for a great company, but after I get this certification this summer, I will be looking at $20k more per year to possibly doubling my salary if I go somewhere else. Does that make me greedy? As for CCS he is much older than Taggart and to me seems more concerned about his coaching legacy and stability more than a few more dollars. The man wears slippers and socks. I doubt he is a money hungry person. Hell even coach Skip Holtz  had an interview in which he said that he is tired of moving around. When you are young it's cool, but after 50 years old, who really wants to keep taking a chance on a new company? CCS made $10 mil from Texas and is going to average 3 mill per year at USF. CCS is almost 60 years old and living in the perfect city to retire in. 

You make some excellent points, especially relative to age. I still feel that CFB coaches are competitive and CCS is no exception. He just has to want to get back on the big stage again and get another crack at making it big. However, he may never get that opportunity due to the fact he is 60... but I thought the same about Mack Brown. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

You make some excellent points, especially relative to age. I still feel that CFB coaches are competitive and CCS is no exception. He just has to want to get back on the big stage again and get another crack at making it big. However, he may never get that opportunity due to the fact he is 60... but I thought the same about Mack Brown. 

He has already coached at 2 different p5 schools. Plus I think his time at Texas really made him realize the grass isnt always greener on the other side. At 60, i assume you start to value peace of mind, stability, and your legacy. You cant put a price on those items. Plus USF has a sailing team!...nothing 2 do with what we are talking about but man thats so cool. I feel USF is the perfect place 4 him 2 retire...as long as we keep winning. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

He has already coached at 2 different p5 schools. Plus I think his time at Texas really made him realize the grass isnt always greener on the other side. At 60, i assume you start to value peace of mind, stability, and your legacy. You cant put a price on those items. Plus USF has a sailing team!...nothing 2 do with what we are talking about but man thats so cool. I feel USF is the perfect place 4 him 2 retire...as long as we keep winning. 

You had me at “sailing team” 😁

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  1

it's not Strong;s age that is keeping him from getting a p5 gig its his record (at texas and here) and the fact he just had a collapse here (start 7-0 but finishes 7-6). Had he finished last year with a 10-2 or 11-1 record he might have very well been given a p5 gig but when you lose 6 in a row in a g5 conference and don't look competitive during that stretch, p5 schools tend to look elsewhere until you can prove that you can win at g5 conference consistently. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

30 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

it's not Strong;s age that is keeping him from getting a p5 gig its his record (at texas and here) and the fact he just had a collapse here (start 7-0 but finishes 7-6). Had he finished last year with a 10-2 or 11-1 record he might have very well been given a p5 gig but when you lose 6 in a row in a g5 conference and don't look competitive during that stretch, p5 schools tend to look elsewhere until you can prove that you can win at g5 conference consistently. 

This is it exactly. I'm not saying he'd take another job but, he won't get an offer until his teams look competitive and can win consistently.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Chad Morris was 14-22 when Arkansas hired him..........I'm just saying, if you think one good season isn't enough for a P5 team to come calling, you are sadly mistaken. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I want all of our coaches to be so good that everyone else wants to hire them away from us. 

Firing coaches is for the birds. 

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

When does summer workouts start?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

10 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

When does summer workouts start?