• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2018/2019 Season Ends - Teams/Moments

Guest Jonesy Bull

Guest Jonesy Bull

With both Baseball and Softball Teams ending their season today, we can put an official bow on this season and start looking forward to next season.

My takes from this year:

Football - 7 and 0 start was certainly exciting with great finishes, but it always seemed like smoke and mirrors.  Which certainly proved true in the second half of the season.  With a new year comes New Hope. And I certainly believe that we are taking right steps to make ourselves a better team.  Big big year for Mr. Strong and our program in general.

Mens Basketball - By far the most improved and personally my favorite team to follow this year ending in a CBI title.  Future seems bright with this coaching staff.

Womens Basketball - what can you say but devastating injuries derailed this extremely exciting team.  But this team showed resiliency.  And i have faith that Jose will get this team back and better than ever.

Baseball - Disheartening season and alot of question marks on whether Mohl is the right guy and what the future holds.  This team is the biggest dissapointment this year.

Not getting into all the other sports but kudos to Softball for another Conf championsip and i know womens soccer had a good showing this year as well.

Greatest Moments for me - 3 come quickly to mind....win over Ga Tech (fun game and fun ending).  Comeback last second win over Tulsa (all hope seemed lost in that game).  And the 3 game series against Depaul - last second victory at home and winning Game 3 for first basketball championship since 19 freaking 90.

Your thoughts and hopes for next year?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Baseball's season is more disappointing than the freaking football team laying a complete egg the second half of the season ending in a complete butt whooping in the bowl game ?   

smh

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I just want football season to start...and right soon...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

@Jonesy Bull, thanks for this thread, I almost started it yesterday.  I was thinking all sports are done, but wasn't sure about T&F, Sailing.  🤷‍♂️

Either way, success and cautious optimism from MBB - the team that was the most fun to watch for me.  Potential written all over it and pure actual care and hustle between the baselines.  A passionate coach whose energy is reflected his players.  A team to watch in 19-20.

WBB, although I did not watch much seemed to play their hearts out despite the ravaging effects of injury.  I almost bought season tickets for next season simply based on their never quit attitude and the coach they have too.

Football, underachieving coaching staff and a not well stacked roster, led to the inevitable plateau and second half slide, yada, yada, yada.  The season was "promising" but the cracks were appearing in the dam from game one on.  It collapsed.  

Baseball fits the same profile.  Another program we should excel in, but don't, and haven't to the level we should be capable of.  Perhaps we're just softer these days.  These squads could learn from MBB and WBB about the battle and how to fight it.  

Next athletic season will be the 20th season of The Bulls Pen.  I hope we have a great year, too, in supporting these teams.  "It ain't easy being green" a famous amphibian once said and I have felt that over nearly 40 years being a Bulls fan from the Golden Brahman days until now.  18-19 is in the books - looking forward to a great 2019-20!

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

@Jonesy Bull, thanks for this thread, I almost started it yesterday.  I was thinking all sports are done, but wasn't sure about T&F, Sailing.  🤷‍♂️

Either way, success and cautious optimism from MBB - the team that was the most fun to watch for me.  Potential written all over it and pure actual care and hustle between the baselines.  A passionate coach whose energy is reflected his players.  A team to watch in 19-20.

WBB, although I did not watch much seemed to play their hearts out despite the ravaging effects of injury.  I almost bought season tickets for next season simply based on their never quit attitude and the coach they have too.

Football, underachieving coaching staff and a not well stacked roster, led to the inevitable plateau and second half slide, yada, yada, yada.  The season was "promising" but the cracks were appearing in the dam from game one on.  It collapsed.  

Baseball fits the same profile.  Another program we should excel in, but don't, and haven't to the level we should be capable of.  Perhaps we're just softer these days.  These squads could learn from MBB and WBB about the battle and how to fight it.  

Next athletic season will be the 20th season of The Bulls Pen.  I hope we have a great year, too, in supporting these teams.  "It ain't easy being green" a famous amphibian once said and I have felt that over nearly 40 years being a Bulls fan from the Golden Brahman days until now.  18-19 is in the books - looking forward to a great 2019-20!

We know the common factor there is really good coaches recruiting the right type of student athlete.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

42 minutes ago, Brad said:

So in other words...we were USF again...😂

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Softball is the one that baffles me.  We have the coach of USA softball!!  You'd think we'd have more success.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

17 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Softball is the one that baffles me.  We have the coach of USA softball!!  You'd think we'd have more success.

Coach Ken =/= Coach K

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

8 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Coach Ken =/= Coach K

I get that, but you would think that a lot of star softball players would want to play for the coach of USA Softball.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

Hate to be redundantly redundant but there's only one logical explanation .......

image.png.879b27cfb7a90a16ab33213045534eb8.png