• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

I just don't think we can be competitive in the State of Florida in Baseball. There just isn't enough talent here to go around especially compared to the other teams in our conference hailing from Kansas, Connecticut, Louisiana, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Ohio. Those are powerful baseball states! When has a college baseball team from Florida ever been any good. We got a conference title in baseball in 1995. We need to be content with that.

::post is utter sarcasm if you can't tell::

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

5 hours ago, bullcocky101 said:

I just don't think we can be competitive in the State of Florida in Baseball. There just isn't enough talent here to go around especially compared to the other teams in our conference hailing from Kansas, Connecticut, Louisiana, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Ohio. Those are powerful baseball states! When has a college baseball team from Florida ever been any good. We got a conference title in baseball in 1995. We need to be content with that.

::post is utter sarcasm if you can't tell::

Shut it down then and put the $ to football and MBB....(sarcasm too or is it...hummmm.. :))

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,672
  • Days Won:  108

6 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

Let me ask you all a question. 

Let's say we hire a head coach, and their record over their first three seasons are the following:

4-24

14-13

7-20

First year the coach is coaching the previous coach's players, and the 4-24 is excused. Year two, big turnaround, 14-13, looking good. Year three, all the new coach's players now, 7-20. We all agree, fire that coach, right?

Guess, what, the coach in the above example didn't get fired. Over the next 16 seasons he took his team to the postseason 15 times, the only 15 postseason trips in USF's history in that sport. 

Our program deserves consistency, our student athletes deserve consistency. Do I want to win, YES. But, we have to give people a chance to win. 

I will say it again, every coach deserves 4 years, unless they are breaking rules, doing morally questionable things or hurting student athletes (physical, emotional, academically). 

6 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Four year rule works great for Olympic sports but no way can you use it for football. Three bad year and you have to go...too much riding on that sport. 

Sounds like WBB CJF.  Am I right? What do I win if I am?  A private consultation with Mike on traveling on a budget?  PLEASE.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Sounds like WBB CJF.  Am I right? What do I win if I am?  A private consultation with Mike on traveling on a budget?  PLEASE.

you are probably right CJF, but more to my point, WBB can take a four year approach....not true for FB.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  1

Football is the sport that gets the most eyeballs looking at your school so a football coach tends to get around 3 years before they are fired. Sports like WBB and Baseball don't garner as much attention so those coaches can get more time since they don't get much attention from the national media like football or MBB does. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

.... or fans, in many cases.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,672
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, bullsfan27 said:

Football is the sport that gets the most eyeballs looking at your school so a football coach tends to get around 3 years before they are fired. Sports like WBB and Baseball don't garner as much attention so those coaches can get more time since they don't get much attention from the national media like football or MBB does. 

You are presuming USF football and MBB get attention for the national media?  

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  1

56 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

You are presuming USF football and MBB get attention for the national media?  

During good years they definitely do and even to a smaller extent they get mentioned more often in bad seasons than say us baseball, softball, volleyball, or any other olympic sport. I was speaking in general terms football and mbb get more press that any olympic sport does

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Hate to say it, but I've watched more than my share of baseball games over the past few years and CBM is not the answer.  I don't think he can recruit and I'm not sure how great of an in game Manager he is.  I like him with the Pitchers, but I just don't see it as the leader.

That being said, he comes back for Year 3...and my prediction is another long, bad year with not much talent.  And then he gets the axe.  

Edited by JoeB

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Mark Kingston's 3 years at USF:   Year 1 34-26-1 (13-11) and NCAA Regional; Year 2 24-33 (8-16); Year 3 - 42-19 (14-10) and NCAA Regional 

After a good first year at USC he struggled big time this yeaer.  Article:

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-baseball/article230707799.html

“I think Mark Kingston’s one of the very best coaches in the country, in all honesty,” Mainieri said. “I think this year was an aberration, and he’ll turn them around and get them in the right direction. But there’s some things you just can’t control, and when you take away top pitchers, people think it’s an excuse, but hey, just think about any team. Take away their top pitchers and they’re a completely different team.”

Mainieri cited those pitching injuries as the biggest factor in South Carolina’s rough campaign — by the end of the year, Kingston had just 11 healthy available pitchers and was prepping to use position players on the mound over the final few games.

Sounds kind of familiar

Edited by chapelbull