• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I think he needs to go out a get a dedicated pitching coach. I don't think he has done well juggling both hats. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Brad said:

FWIW, my comment was not about Mohl, but this idea coaches need some number of years before evaluation, in this case three.  I think evaluations start immediately and so too should actions that should result from that evaluation.  We kept Antigua WAYYYYYYYY too long.

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. If evaluations start immediately, CWT should have been fired before getting on the bus back after McCheese State. I just don't think programs like ours can afford to have knee jerk reactions, relatively speaking, when it comes to head coaches. Three years seems reasonable unless faced with something like Antigua, where it needs to be cut a little short.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I would have unregrettably fired Taggart.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

43 minutes ago, Brad said:

36BD0720-3C9C-4C03-AB4A-048CA239A06B.gif

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

46 minutes ago, Brad said:

The best recruiter in USF sports history?!? 

18 minutes ago, JTrue said:

The best recruiter in USF sports history?!? 

😀

As head coach? Yes.  Without a doubt.  

Not sure I’d give him “best recruiter” status among all sports, but that was his strength, short term, in football.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Brad said:

😀

As head coach? Yes.  Without a doubt.  

Not sure I’d give him “best recruiter” status among all sports, but that was his strength, short term, in football.  

Would you base this on recruiting site rankings or players who reached the NFL?

My own eyeballs and judgment. Recruiting sites?  :roflmao:  NFL is a different game.  

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

Let me ask you all a question. 

Let's say we hire a head coach, and their record over their first three seasons are the following:

4-24

14-13

7-20

First year the coach is coaching the previous coach's players, and the 4-24 is excused. Year two, big turnaround, 14-13, looking good. Year three, all the new coach's players now, 7-20. We all agree, fire that coach, right?

Guess, what, the coach in the above example didn't get fired. Over the next 16 seasons he took his team to the postseason 15 times, the only 15 postseason trips in USF's history in that sport. 

Our program deserves consistency, our student athletes deserve consistency. Do I want to win, YES. But, we have to give people a chance to win. 

I will say it again, every coach deserves 4 years, unless they are breaking rules, doing morally questionable things or hurting student athletes (physical, emotional, academically). 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

Let me ask you all a question. 

Let's say we hire a head coach, and their record over their first three seasons are the following:

4-24

14-13

7-20

First year the coach is coaching the previous coach's players, and the 4-24 is excused. Year two, big turnaround, 14-13, looking good. Year three, all the new coach's players now, 7-20. We all agree, fire that coach, right?

Guess, what, the coach in the above example didn't get fired. Over the next 16 seasons he took his team to the postseason 15 times, the only 15 postseason trips in USF's history in that sport. 

Our program deserves consistency, our student athletes deserve consistency. Do I want to win, YES. But, we have to give people a chance to win. 

I will say it again, every coach deserves 4 years, unless they are breaking rules, doing morally questionable things or hurting student athletes (physical, emotional, academically). 

Four year rule works great for Olympic sports but no way can you use it for football. Three bad year and you have to go...too much riding on that sport.