• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football Thread for Summer News

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, Corey lea said:

So you accept the rushing yards in the following games as a standard?

GT 419  

Ill 212

Elon 192

UConn 322

tulsa 220

ECU 156

If you have accepted this as a standard because we won then we are in big trouble. We had a dang safety playing LB and Sawtelle in the middle. The whole corp needed upgrading and size. I think the right moves were made on the D as a whole, thanks to the portal and emphasis on weight training. The LBs were right there as the worst with the secondary and now both should be night and day different with the help of the transfers and Boyles and Greer stepping up to take the positions on the depth chart along with Mason coming in. Mason will be a day 1 starter along with Studstill. 

Mason will be like Barnett. I actually think Sawtelle will be 3rd on the depth chart to start the season. CCS will call it injury related, but the fact is that he will be passed over. Roberts and Sanders will have to find some playing time this year. To be honest, I think CCS will keep using to portal to fill the depth chart. We were that low on talent and it's a great way to get some players that have a higher upside on the field. 

Now...I will say this, taking on Texas next year will be not problem. I like Battle and McCloud. Just need to keep Kerwin Bell in place. Need some RB's to come in next year and another explosive outside receiver. The slot seems really good, but not sure about St. Felix or Roland. I'm looking for a dominant outside guy and not sure if we have one on the roster.  

The Oline should get fixed by Bell and maybe the portal can fix it. Hobble looked good in the Spring Game. 

I'm calling the upset against whiskey...I think we will actually have help from the #2 QB to win it. I think the Defense is adequate if we put Studstill at strong safety in the box...Burnette at a corner....and Hampton and Lapointe. 

I'm all in at 11-2

No one is making the claim that our defense good with Nico in it. Just that it was better with him in it, therefore he can’t be the one to be singled out to blame. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Corey lea said:

So you accept the rushing yards in the following games as a standard?

GT 419  

Ill 212

Elon 192

UConn 322

tulsa 220

ECU 156

If you have accepted this as a standard because we won then we are in big trouble. We had a dang safety playing LB and Sawtelle in the middle. The whole corp needed upgrading and size. I think the right moves were made on the D as a whole, thanks to the portal and emphasis on weight training. The LBs were right there as the worst with the secondary and now both should be night and day different with the help of the transfers and Boyles and Greer stepping up to take the positions on the depth chart along with Mason coming in. Mason will be a day 1 starter along with Studstill. 

Mason will be like Barnett. I actually think Sawtelle will be 3rd on the depth chart to start the season. CCS will call it injury related, but the fact is that he will be passed over. Roberts and Sanders will have to find some playing time this year. To be honest, I think CCS will keep using to portal to fill the depth chart. We were that low on talent and it's a great way to get some players that have a higher upside on the field. 

Now...I will say this, taking on Texas next year will be not problem. I like Battle and McCloud. Just need to keep Kerwin Bell in place. Need some RB's to come in next year and another explosive outside receiver. The slot seems really good, but not sure about St. Felix or Roland. I'm looking for a dominant outside guy and not sure if we have one on the roster.  

The Oline should get fixed by Bell and maybe the portal can fix it. Hobble looked good in the Spring Game. 

I'm calling the upset against whiskey...I think we will actually have help from the #2 QB to win it. I think the Defense is adequate if we put Studstill at strong safety in the box...Burnette at a corner....and Hampton and Lapointe. 

I'm all in at 11-2

And you think we were a better team without Sawtelle?

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

23 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

No one is making the claim that our defense good with Nico in it. Just that it was better with him in it, therefore he can’t be the one to be singled out to blame. 

How many ways does this logical conclusion need to be stated for it to sink in ..... hell, even JT gets it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

How many ways does this logical conclusion need to be stated for it to sink in ..... hell, even JT gets it.

I'm pretty much an idiot, so this is a fact.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

The sad part is I wasn't even trying to say that Nico was better than his replacement (even though I think he was). Just that His replacement gave more playing at his natural position. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

And you think we were a better team without Sawtelle?

We absolutely were not a better defense without Sawtelle.  When he went out, our run defense vanished.  Sawtelle is pretty good for what we want to do on defense.  He's a senior coming into his third year in the defense and I think he'll excel this season. 

I don't buy that any of the young guys have passed him up.  Aside from the fact i didn't see anyone really stand out that much during the spring, he's seen a lot of football and is pretty good at being around and getting the ball.  It's like what a lot of people did with Auggie, they looked at what he couldn't do and missed what he did well.  I think Sawtelle and Boyd will open the season up at LB.  After that... play and injury will factor in.  

27 minutes ago, Calibull said:

We absolutely were not a better defense without Sawtelle.  When he went out, our run defense vanished.  Sawtelle is pretty good for what we want to do on defense.  He's a senior coming into his third year in the defense and I think he'll excel this season. 

I don't buy that any of the young guys have passed him up.  Aside from the fact i didn't see anyone really stand out that much during the spring, he's seen a lot of football and is pretty good at being around and getting the ball.  It's like what a lot of people did with Auggie, they looked at what he couldn't do and missed what he did well.  I think Sawtelle and Boyd will open the season up at LB.  After that... play and injury will factor in.  

Yeah... the same Auggie who had like 250 tackles in his Jr. and Sr. year and we're getting all hot and bothered over a transfer from a bad FCS school who had 71 once.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

My point is all of the middle backers were not very good. He was part of the problem. Mason is being brought in for a reason and not because Sawtelle had an injury. 

I will stand by my statement that Sawtelle will be third string and special teams. 

Robert's and Sanders will suffer the same fate. So not just Sawtelle, but a few guys on D will be demoted. SMOKE will get a chance to blitz off the edge from time to time behind Studstill. Davis needs to add 20 lbs., but is fast and a big hitter.

Sawtelle was not even close to Sanchez. The transfer portal is the best thing to ever happen to G5. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I'll wait to see someone other than Sawtelle be the opening series starter before I say he won't be. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

13 hours ago, JTrue said:

Yeah... the same Auggie who had like 250 tackles in his Jr. and Sr. year and we're getting all hot and bothered over a transfer from a bad FCS school who had 71 once.

He was the team's leading tackler, though ....