• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Do I sense optimism?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Days Won:  6

So, I have been out of town for several months on business and so busy I have been completely out of touch.  I would say this began right after the bowl game and wan't even aware that we got a new OC or  that Chris O has transferred.

Last night I checked on the board for my usual dose of doom and gloom but came away confused.  After checking the URL several times I noticed that the basketball program won something call the CBI and others downright optimistic over what they saw in the spring game and recruiting.

Can someone give me their take on the state of things as they see it? 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,464
  • Days Won:  0

Basketball = is it Basketball season yet??

Football = high hopes for offense, while overlooking our shortcomings on defense

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

It may just be gas...lay off the tacos tomorrow 

• Haha 2

Guest Jonesy Bull

There are several threads on this topic.  The bottom line:

• The Basketball team had the biggest turnaround (record wise) than any other team in America
  • The Basketball team is young and only getting better, along with having a coach that seems to be a difference maker as far as player development, team fundamentals, etc.
  • The Football team - I think the optimism mostly stems around having seemingly a more dynamic OC in Kerwin Bell.  The play calling (at first glance) is more creative and puts players in position to make plays.  There is a pretty large playbook that the players have to learn.
  • The Football team - overall could possibly be benefiting of the various changes in the assistant coaches (defense included).
  • The Football team - Recruiting seems to be a little bit on the uptick, and the Transfer portal thingy is helping us too.

Guest Jonesy Bull

Oh I forgot to add - The Basketball team actually won a post-season championship trophy for the first time since we won the Sun Belt Championship like in 1990 or something......It is only the CBI, but for us to win anything and get a trophy is significant, and it was an exciting tournament, had everything from us coming back from a 25 point deficit to win, and a 3 game championship where we won Game 1 basically at the Buzzer, and won Game 3 in DePaul's house to win it.......Again all key players are young and will be back and better.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

There are several threads on this topic.  The bottom line:

• The Basketball team had the biggest turnaround (record wise) than any other team in America
  • The Basketball team is young and only getting better, along with having a coach that seems to be a difference maker as far as player development, team fundamentals, etc.
  • The Football team - I think the optimism mostly stems around having seemingly a more dynamic OC in Kerwin Bell.  The play calling (at first glance) is more creative and puts players in position to make plays.  There is a pretty large playbook that the players have to learn.
  • The Football team - overall could possibly be benefiting of the various changes in the assistant coaches (defense included).
  • The Football team - Recruiting seems to be a little bit on the uptick, and the Transfer portal thingy is helping us too.

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Oh I forgot to add - The Basketball team actually won a post-season championship trophy for the first time since we won the Sun Belt Championship like in 1990 or something......It is only the CBI, but for us to win anything and get a trophy is significant, and it was an exciting tournament, had everything from us coming back from a 25 point deficit to win, and a 3 game championship where we won Game 1 basically at the Buzzer, and won Game 3 in DePaul's house to win it.......Again all key players are young and will be back and better.

Thanks Jonesy.  Yea I saw some of the threads but I was looking for a recap of everything like you just did.

How is the transfer portal helpful?

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 hours ago, MMW said:

Thanks Jonesy.  Yea I saw some of the threads but I was looking for a recap of everything like you just did.

How is the transfer portal helpful?

No problem!

Other more knowledgeable folks can answer this better than i can.  

Basic level - my understanding is that the NCAA has relaxed some of their tranfer rules for players to move without penalty of sitting out a year.  I dont know the specics of the rules.

These players that choose to do this and are approved are put into the "transfer portal" where they are basically free agents to be picked up by other schools with no penalty of losing playing time..........how long did you say you were away.  Were you stranded on a deserted island like Tom Hanks (messing with ya).

If i said anything wrong please correct me my peeps.....and i know u will.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I actually think the Defense will be pretty good this season

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

22 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I actually think the Defense will be pretty good this season

It can’t be worse.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

27 minutes ago, JTrue said:

It can’t be worse.

A lot went into the defense collapsing last season including starting a safety at LB.  Too many first time starters and guys who just weren't ready to be every down players.  I think we're much bigger and stronger up front and we not have a good amount of experience.   I feel like they could resemble the 2017 as opposed to what we saw last season.  Something to be said when guys get comfortable with what they're doing.  I think they'll be some bumps but I think the defense will be formidable.  I think in two years they'll be dominant.  But next season I'm betting we see them getting better as the season goes on.