• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Team-wise, what would you like to see improve?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I think we were just a bit too young to make the NCAA this past year; we lost a lot of games due to youth and the lack of floor maturity.

So, if we are to make the dance next year, what do we need to do?

For me, if Kiir, Brown and Durr improve their games, we dance next year. (1) Kiir needs to be able to score more. I don't know what he needs to do but he just needs to add more points to his PT. (2) Brown is probably one of the best shooters on the team, a very natural shot. However, his scoring selection is a little iffy -he goes for too many 3s and passes up a lot of shots. And (3) Durr, I think he really picked up his game towards the end of the season. Man, if he improves that much more over the summer and into the start of the next season,  look out!

Yeah, I know, team-wise, our free throw % is bad... But our style is hustle bball and being tired probably has a lot to do with it. Bad excuse, I know!

What about the rest of the roster? And what about the two new incoming guys?

For sure, we'll miss Lang and Nik (moral support and one of the crew in practice).

Holy crud, this is the first time in a long time that I can honestly say that I'm first a USF bball fan and then a USF football fan...

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Here's a video of Dawson.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Why is TJ Lang in there twice?

20 minutes ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

2341342141.thumb.png.bbc9af95d6ad06b78694344393aed838.png

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

I made my comments in a previous thread, but mostly agree.  The big improvement has to come from the bigs - Durr and Kiir.  I'd also agree to throw Brown in there.  He's streaky.  He's not a legit, go to three point shooter.   Is not.  My opinion.

Durr needs to play like a 6-5 guy, get his feet off the ground and be a force, not a finesse player.  He did improve over the course of the season, so I am sure he'll take coaching that makes him more of a presence considering his size.  Play big.  What got him through every other level with size is equalized now.  He's got to do the hard work now.  Get position, box, jump, battle, foot work, timing.  He can't wait for the ball to come to him any longer.

Diir is a point guard trapped in a 6'8 +/- body.  My opinion.  He wants to put it on floor from the wing, he wants to create shots.  He doesn't seem as comfortable playing in the paint, back to basket.  I think the coaches work on both with him, but primarily being high percentage around the rim.  Maybe a little more pick and roll for the big fella... But also a little more common sense on the spin move.

I look forward to next season.  These guys with more time together and improving should bring us higher.  Learn a lesson from the Lightning.  Last season doesn't mean crap next season.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Kiir and Durr could also stand to put on a few pounds of muscle. I completely agree they need to play taller. Durr showed flashes in the post towards the end, but Kiir needs to learn the basics.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Brad said:

I made my comments in a previous thread, but mostly agree.  The big improvement has to come from the bigs - Durr and Kiir.  I'd also agree to throw Brown in there.  He's streaky.  He's not a legit, go to three point shooter.   Is not.  My opinion.

Durr needs to play like a 6-5 guy, get his feet off the ground and be a force, not a finesse player.  He did improve over the course of the season, so I am sure he'll take coaching that makes him more of a presence considering his size.  Play big.  What got him through every other level with size is equalized now.  He's got to do the hard work now.  Get position, box, jump, battle, foot work, timing.  He can't wait for the ball to come to him any longer.

Diir is a point guard trapped in a 6'8 +/- body.  My opinion.  He wants to put it on floor from the wing, he wants to create shots.  He doesn't seem as comfortable playing in the paint, back to basket.  I think the coaches work on both with him, but primarily being high percentage around the rim.  Maybe a little more pick and roll for the big fella... But also a little more common sense on the spin move.

I look forward to next season.  These guys with more time together and improving should bring us higher.  Learn a lesson from the Lightning.  Last season doesn't mean crap next season.

Kiir is not a point guard trapped in a 6'8 +/- body. I'm sorry but that is lol funny. If you had written: 

Kiir thinks he is Kevin Durant. 

I would have called you the MVP of this thread.

Kiir is only good for two dribbles. After his second dribble something bad usually happens. He travels, loses his dribble, commits an offensive foul or throws up an ill-advised shot. His decision-making with the ball in his hands especially on the move is not very good. His feel for the game is average at best. What he is good at is running, jumping and dunking.

I don't know how you get a point guard out of that (lack of) skill.

Durr needs to get stronger, improve his footwork in traffic and play like an athletic 7 footer. Some older/stronger centers took him to school, like the first Houston game, the second UCONN game and of course both UCF games. Durr will be fine I think. Very good work ethic I'm told.

Edited by Basketball Jones

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,672
  • Days Won:  108

14 hours ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

Here's a video of Dawson.

So it looks like he shoots more like Anthony Collins, not a true jump shot.  And how tall is this guy? Doesn't look like he could come close to dunking. Layups count, don't get me wrong,  but didn't look explosive in the 1 minute that I watched.

11 hours ago, Brad said:

Watching Kiir do a spin move is like watching a caterpillar turning into a butterfly - in takes a while.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

EVERY BODY NEEDS TO IMPROVE THEIR FREE THROW SHOOTING!!!!!  That alone will make us a much better team as we know how to get to the line we just don't finish enough when we get there.  

As for individuals

Collins- I would like to see him work on his mid-range game and be a little more aggressive in asserting himself 

Rideau- He needs to work on not trying to do too much with the ball.  He gets in modes where he just over dribbles and gets himself in bad situations.  It may be a part of the offense at times but he needs to just slow down and not force things for the full games. 

Durr-  He needs to continue to change his body and become more aggressive/physical in every way possible.  As with all young guys he needs to work on his low post game and develop another move or two. 

Yetna- Just keep maturing and start working on the mid range game.   He just needs to keep being him and get bigger and stronger.  He has crazy potential if he just stays on course 

Kiir-  As others have mentioned he just needs to play within his skill set as an athletic energy guy on both sides of the ball.   He needs to stop trying to be a ball handler and develop his game down low.  On both ends of the floor he need to stop trying to always make some kind of big play and just let the game come to him.   He often picks up stupid fouls and commits bad turnovers that could easily be avoided.   He just needs to play his role and use hi skill set. 

Brown- He needs more consistency and confidence behind the arc.   From what I have heard he's a much better shooter in practice than in the games it just doesn't carry over for him.  He needs to fix whatever it is mentally to make it carry over better to give us that legit outside sharp shooter

Castaneda-  First thing, on the offensive side he just needs to SLOW DOWN.   His speed is a great attribute but sometimes he just plays fast to play fast and it leads to mistakes.  It's probably mostly just maturity but that would go a long way.  He needs to work on his scoring in every facet, especially finishing around the rim.  He's great at getting to the basket he just needs to finish those drives.   

• Topic Count:  351
  • Content Count:  4,069
  • Days Won:  56

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

So it looks like he shoots more like Anthony Collins, not a true jump shot.  And how tall is this guy? Doesn't look like he could come close to dunking. Layups count, don't get me wrong,  but didn't look explosive in the 1 minute that I watched.

Watching Kiir do a spin move is like watching a caterpillar turning into a butterfly - in takes a while.

Did you watch the same video I did? There are about a half dozen dunks on that highlight video. Not that it’s really important. The early highlights appear to be from 5 years ago, which would make him what, a sophomore in high school?

Edited by Dave_Glaser