• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New WR just may make a difference

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,514
  • Days Won:  28

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

Yes, some walk on's success but the vast majority are just practice bodies.  Outliers happen.  I comb the roster and find a ton of walk ons who will never contribute.  

Dukes has flashed before in the spring then disappeared in the fall.  He's had 2 big spring games and disappeared before.   We have no idea if his hands were as good as Salomon because he was never good enough to get on the field when it counted.

Roland is uproven and him stepping up would would be a much welcomed development 

Counting on true freshmen is not a situation you want to be in if you can help it.  I know your shtick is to try to pretend everything is awesome all the time but we have some issues at outside WR...

Let me clarify. I feel this year (2019) we are stacked at receiver and I don't feel that we need any additions. The freshman players I named dropped are for next year and the future. We have Ford, St. Felix, Phillips, Cleaurvaux, McDoom, Horne, Roland, Miller,  Dukes and newbies Miller and Horne Jr ( no way in hell he doesn't see the field)...that is 11 receivers (3 Haitian 😎). Those 11 recivers still have to share the ball with a NFL ready tight end. The only senior is Clearvaux. At least 3 of them possibly have 4.3 speed and the majority are 4.4/4.5 40yd speed. I'm not pretending we are good at WR, it's facts. Also, go take a look at Sean Atkins (the walk on) film and tell me you don't believe he will play  at USF. I promise you, you wont be disappointed. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

13 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Let me clarify. I feel this year (2019) we are stacked at receiver and I don't feel that we need any additions. The freshman players I named dropped are for next year and the future. We have Ford, St. Felix, Phillips, Cleaurvaux, McDoom, Horne, Roland, Miller,  Dukes and newbies Miller and Horne Jr ( no way in hell he doesn't see the field)...that is 11 receivers (3 Haitian 😎). Those 11 recivers still have to share the ball with a NFL ready tight end. The only senior is Clearvaux. At least 3 of them possibly have 4.3 speed and the majority are 4.4/4.5 40yd speed. I'm not pretending we are good at WR, it's facts. Also, go take a look at Sean Atkins (the walk on) film and tell me you don't believe he will play  at USF. I promise you, you wont be disappointed. 

Outside receiver =/= Slot receivers.   McDoom, Miller, Horne, Ford, and Phillips are pure slot guys.   We are lacking at outside WR and there is nothing wrong with saying it.    Yes we have an ABUNDANCE of talent in the SLOT but we are thin outside.  It's ok to recognize if a roster has has flaws.  Remember when you tried to jump down my throat the same way about our DT's before last season?  Remember how we got gashed with the inside run all year?  I hope the coaches experiment some with McDoom out the outside this summer/fall camp.  It would add some needed "depth" and talent outside

I will make some kind of board related bet with you about Atkins.  What are you looking for?  If a kid is playing FBS ball, even as a walk on they are going to have good film.  Especially since the film most people see are highlight reels.   I've been following recruiting for 2 decades, which is enough to know that vast majority of your FBS walk on's are practice bodies, even with those pretty highlight films.  You don't get on an FBS roster without being one of the best players on the field week in and week out in high school....  

Edited by Bull Dozer

14 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Outside receiver =/= Slot receivers.   McDoom, Miller, Horne, Ford, and Phillips are pure slot guys.   We are lacking at outside WR and there is nothing wrong with saying it.    Yes we have an ABUNDANCE of talent in the slot but we are thin outside.  It's ok to recognize if a roster has has flaws.  Remember when you tried to jump down my throat the same way about our DT's before last season?  Remember how we got gashed with the inside run all year?  I hope the coaches experiment some with McDoom out the outside this summer/fall camp.  It would add some needed "depth" and talent outside

I will make some kind of board related bet with you about Atkins.  What are you looking for?  If a kid is playing FBS ball, even as a walk on they are going to have good film.  Especially since the film most people see are highlight reels.   I've been following recruiting for 2 decades, which is enough to know that vast majority of your FBS walk on's are practice bodies, even with those pretty highlight films.  You don't get on an FBS roster without being one of the best players on the field week in and week out in high school....  

I'm just confident that the 11 receivers we have will be good enough. As for DTs, I was just wrong about them being ready to ball out last year. I feel they will be ok this year. What's funny is that in another post when I say we needed a grad transfer at DT somebody with your name told me (the 247 board) that we are good at DT. I can admit when i am wrong. But I see NO ISSUES with our receiving depth this year. As for Sean Atkins we both won't know the answer until the next year or two. 

Edited by Gatorbull325

10 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I'm just confident that the 11 receivers we have will be good enough. As for DTs, I was just wrong about them being ready to ball out last year. I feel they will be ok this year. What's funny is that in another post when I say we needed a grad transfer at DT somebody with your name told me (the 247 board) that we are good at DT. I can admit when i am wrong. But I see NO ISSUES with our receiving depth this year. As for Sean Atkins we both won't know the answer until the next year or two. 

If you want to do some kind of board bet for here like changing a signature or something stupid I would be down for it.  Just something fun.   

I think we will be much better at DT this season as the starters are now upperclassmen and the guys who were true freshmen last season are another year bigger and strong plus they got a good amount of reps last season.   Also, yep that was me.  Did that small school kid make an impact anywhere?  Just curious if you kept track of him.  

7 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

If you want to do some kind of board bet for here like changing a signature or something stupid I would be down for it.  Just something fun.   

I think we will be much better at DT this season as the starters are now upperclassmen and the guys who were true freshmen last season are another year bigger and strong plus they got a good amount of reps last season.   Also, yep that was me.  Did that small school kid make an impact anywhere?  Just curious if you kept track of him.  

I like food. Im down a $20 gift card 2 a resturant of choice....besides I 4got how to change my signature....or I would have been removed the "In Kean we trust" from my profile when he transfered lol

Edited by Gatorbull325

2 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I like food. Im down a $20 gift card 2 a resturant of choice....besides I 4got how to change my signature....or I would have been removed the "In Kean we trust" from my profile when he transfered lol

LMAO!

That works for me as I also enjoy food.   So what do you say the terms are, Atkins is a starter  during his time at USF you win, if he isn't you win?   Or do you want to do it stats based?  Like he cracks the top 6 in receiving for a whole season you win, he doesn't I win? Or some other kind of stat based requirement.   

55 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

LMAO!

That works for me as I also enjoy food.   So what do you say the terms are, Atkins is a starter  during his time at USF you win, if he isn't you win?   Or do you want to do it stats based?  Like he cracks the top 6 in receiving for a whole season you win, he doesn't I win? Or some other kind of stat based requirement.   

1st year - He redshirts this year. ( We are 2 deep at WR. hence my aurgument)

2nd year -  kick/punt returns, and gets a few catches

3rd year - 3rd best receiver

4th year - starter 

21 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

1st year - He redshirts this year. ( We are 2 deep at WR. hence my aurgument)

2nd year -  kick/punt returns, and gets a few catches

3rd year - 3rd best receiver

4th year - starter 

pardon my spelling

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Just so we’re clear, we do not have 3 guys at WR who can run 4.3s. That’s up there with “Quinton Flowers can throw a ball 70 yards in the air.” Just because it gets repeated on a message board, doesn’t make it true.

2 WRs ran below 4.4 combine last year. 2 TOTAL. Out of all the WRs potentially getting drafted. 

We do not have a roster ooozing with better than elite NFL speed at WR.

Edited by JTrue