• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Excellent 2019 Football Analysis- We beat Tech...finish with 7 wins

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Good thing we're a basketball school or that would have depressed me.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

19 games into his USF tenure, Strong was 17-2. But the Bulls suffered a couple of injuries and lost six straight to finish 2018.

Yeah... a couple injuries is why we lost six straight...

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Don't know what to expect on offense, but I have very little confidence in BJM and the defense.  That worries me most.

Guest Jonesy Bull

Seems like a fair assessment to me.  Agree it is a big year for Charlie, not just at USF but for his career.

Its going to be a very interesting year.  I'm really interested to see how this offense comes together under the new OC - could be very exciting.  There should be improvement there........Like others have said, the Defense is really the key, IMO, as to whether we make significant improvement or not. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

1. Offense - I'm not going to say Much. We have Kerwin Bell as our OC. I don't see anybody stopping our offense. We have 3 receivers that run a 4.3, another handful that run a 4.4.  We are good at running back with one NFL draft pick in Cronkrite, Sands as our bruiser back, Seki for speed and if needed Johnny Ford may get some carries. Way too much speed period. KB is like a kid in a candy store with this squad. 

2. Defense - This group will be night and day from last year. Livingstone and Reaves bulked up from the photos I saw. There is a JUCO transfer named Tyrik Jones (Remember this name) who will ball out. I also feel Thomas Nance may crack the lineup. In addition to the younger players that will step up. Most of our DTs were a good 15-30Ibs away from having the right size to make a difference. Kegler and Pickney are about to become what we had in  their Senat/Hector this year. I haven't read the new weights of the players, but have a feeling this year off season really paid off for a lot of players. Even Strong confirmed that 995 of our players gains weight. In addition to a new Dline coach we have plenty of depth to keep the players fresh. 

3. Linebackers - I'm good with Reaves, Mims, Boyles, Polk, Grier and that new transfer LB Patrick Mason. Throw in the 2 Freshman LBs Demarus Bellamy and Darius Williams, both who i feel will crack the lineup this year. 

4. Secondary - I agree with the story. But feel Burnett and Curry will be big impact players. They also have coach Ellis who should make this group perform up to or exceed expectations. 

5. Offensive line -  Donovan Jennings (Whom last year I said would play his freshman year) shall ball out. add in Jopple and the returning players and we should be fine. I also feel at least 2 out of the 5 freshman coming in will play. Matthew McDuffie is definitely seeing the field. He is a solid 310Ibs.  Dustyn Hall, Raymond Collins and Joshua Blanchard need a little more weight. Add in a new offensive line coach in Darveau and this unit shall be a force.  

Add in 2 or 3 more immediately eligible transfer LBs, DBs, or a DT and we should be set. I'm sticking with 10 wins this year and just remember this post. Hell to be honest, I am confident we can beat Wisconsin. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
53 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

1. Offense - I'm not going to say Much. We have Kerwin Bell as our OC. I don't see anybody stopping our offense. We have 3 receivers that run a 4.3, another handful that run a 4.4.  We are good at running back with one NFL draft pick in Cronkrite, Sands as our bruiser back, Seki for speed and if needed Johnny Ford may get some carries. Way too much speed period. KB is like a kid in a candy store with this squad. 

2. Defense - This group will be night and day from last year. Livingstone and Reaves bulked up from the photos I saw. There is a JUCO transfer named Tyrik Jones (Remember this name) who will ball out. I also feel Thomas Nance may crack the lineup. In addition to the younger players that will step up. Most of our DTs were a good 15-30Ibs away from having the right size to make a difference. Kegler and Pickney are about to become what we had in  their Senat/Hector this year. I haven't read the new weights of the players, but have a feeling this year off season really paid off for a lot of players. Even Strong confirmed that 995 of our players gains weight. In addition to a new Dline coach we have plenty of depth to keep the players fresh. 

3. Linebackers - I'm good with Reaves, Mims, Boyles, Polk, Grier and that new transfer LB Patrick Mason. Throw in the 2 Freshman LBs Demarus Bellamy and Darius Williams, both who i feel will crack the lineup this year. 

4. Secondary - I agree with the story. But feel Burnett and Curry will be big impact players. They also have coach Ellis who should make this group perform up to or exceed expectations. 

5. Offensive line -  Donovan Jennings (Whom last year I said would play his freshman year) shall ball out. add in Jopple and the returning players and we should be fine. I also feel at least 2 out of the 5 freshman coming in will play. Matthew McDuffie is definitely seeing the field. He is a solid 310Ibs.  Dustyn Hall, Raymond Collins and Joshua Blanchard need a little more weight. Add in a new offensive line coach in Darveau and this unit shall be a force.  

Add in 2 or 3 more immediately eligible transfer LBs, DBs, or a DT and we should be set. I'm sticking with 10 wins this year and just remember this post. Hell to be honest, I am confident we can beat Wisconsin. 

You are the ultra-optimist of this board.  I love your enthusiasm and your insights. 

I do believe we will be improved over last year, but 10 wins seems far fetched considering the learning curve that will be needed with the players and this new coaching staff, along with the tougher schedule......but we shall see, would love to be wrong!

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,090
  • Days Won:  56

Listening to Kerwin talk on the radio a few days ago left me a little cold. He talked about the talent on hand, but the bulk of his message was about needing to recruit the players to fit the system.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

23 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Listening to Kerwin talk on the radio a few days ago left me a little cold. He talked about the talent on hand, but the bulk of his message was about needing to recruit the players to fit the system.

Im not worried. I like all of the recruits CCS and staff pulled in so far. Maaan, we even have 2 walk ons that I'm even excited about for this class. remember the names Camp Gobbler (will play this year) and Sean Atkins (Will turn a few heads in camp but will red-shirt). Look at that statement as a glass half full "needing to recruit players to fit the system"...that sounds like a man who plans on being here for the long haul. New DB coach Sean Ellis is also a great recruiter. Him and Shaun King, the 2018 AAC recruiter of the year(according to 247 sports) shall have this team loaded. As for now, we have the talent. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,630
  • Days Won:  6

Nice read.  I think we go 9-4 with a low level bowl victory.  We'll get a couple surprise wins.

• Upvote 1